PDA

View Full Version : Castiaic dam 7/1/14

ltj427
07-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Let me start by saying don't take your kids fishing on the dam. So I took my 4 daughters fishing at Castaic dam today we walked three quarters way across the top then realize we now have to get to the water with a cart and a wheelie cooler, very difficult it took almost 45 min from the van to the water I must of walked up and down the dam 3 times by the time I got the goods and girls down. Now to the fishing we used blood worms, my three year old caught the first of the day and her first fish and a new species for the family a small striper but we kept it for her. We caught a total of 9 striper kept 6 and lost about 4 more that didn't make it in, including one that yanked my three year olds pole out of its holding spot but we got the pole in time thankfully. Now to walking up the dam, holy crap that was hard luckily a guy fishing next to us helped me out getting the cart up the second half so thank you who ever you are. Kids had fun fishing and that's all that matters but I don't think I'll ever try that again. We got there at ten and left by four.

44517 44518

Ifishtoolittle
07-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Wow! Kudos to ya' dude! 4 energetic children, wheeling around gear, and fishing all at the same time.

basshole1
07-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Now to walking up the dam, holy crap that was hard luckily a guy fishing next to us helped me out getting the cart up the second half so thank you who ever you are.

Hey ltj427, I was the guy who helped you at the dam. Who would've thought, a fellow FNN'er!!! LOL!! :Big Smile: Man, I saw you struggling up that incline and I couldn't just stand there watching. Glad I was able to lend a helping hand. What a workout that was!! :LOL: Pretty cool that you took your four daughters fishing. If I remember correctly, you told me that one of your daughters was able to land her first striper. Congrats my friend. I'm sure they will appreciate the memories once they are older. Great job on the schoolies as well, I was only able to land 1. Take it easy...

ltj427
07-02-2014, 10:13 AM
That's awesome basshole1:UDaMan: you really saved my *** by helping me, I was ready to say screw it and leave my stuff there on the dam because I was so exhausted . It was my youngest ones first fish which I thought was cool that it was a striper :Big Grin:, she got her first striper before I got mine.

fishinone
07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Now that's good report. I think you just need to get the girls to haul the gear, kids are relentless, they can do it.

Nice job putting them on some striper!

ltj427
07-02-2014, 01:30 PM
I had my oldest one walk the cooler across the dam and she tried to take it down the dam but it was too heavy and with the angle of the dam and the rocks and her wearing sandals I was afraid she was going to go tumbling down with the cooler.

dkinla
07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Hey checkout my recent report. My new beach-type cart is great! And yeah... Going down from the top of the dam is tough. I usually leave the cart on its side about 20 feet down from the top of the dam and just haul the rest down in our hands/shoulders the rest of the way down. That's why I bought some chairs that only weigh 1.5 lbs. from REI recently.

When my dad and I leave... We take maybe 3 short rest stops on the way up back to the top/our cart. Haha

ltj427
07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
dkinla I saw your post and that's what inspired me to go, I used a gardening cart I have for my shovels and rakes that's has big inflatable tires that could handle rocks and such. and I used it as a pole holder while fishing.

fishfinder
07-11-2014, 06:06 AM
What a great Dad. They will probably remember that fishing trip for the rest of their lives. I know I remeber all the trips my Dad took me on.