PDA

View Full Version : First Kayak Outing!

dlmoo312
06-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Kayak fishing is something that I've been wanting to try for a while now, and last week I decided to finally pull the trigger and purchase a kayak :Big Grin: This Saturday, I met up with a few of my SWAT brothers (and sister :Big Grin:) for a maiden voyage. We decided to hit the lb breakwall for some bass and try for halibut later on.

It was a good paddle out to the wall from out launching site, and I caught a mac on the way there which I stored in the bait tank for later. Once we reached the wall, I was able to hook into a couple calicos and Jason and Tess also got a few. Tess was definitely the hot stick on the bass that day. The action was pretty slow overall, and after making our way along the wall, I decided to cross the channel and try my luck at some halibut. Peter had already been drifting for halibut and he was nice enough to share a scoop of chovies with me :Smile:. Drift fishing for halibut using live bait is completely new to me, but I had general idea of what to do. Peter had warned me that there were a bunch of lizard fish around, and after catching one of my own, I decided to pin on the mac I had caught at the beginning of the day. I slow trolled down a shelf in 50ft of water for a while when I saw my rod tip bouncing and then bend over. I knew it was on :Big Grin: I fought the fish to the surface, gaffed it, and tried to secure a game clip when it went crazy and sunk back down to the bottom. I was sure I had lost it but then I saw my rod bend over and I brought it back up a second time. This time, Thien was there for the assist and the fish was secured.

29" first legal of the year :Embarrassed: And still need to get one from the surf! Good thing I have all summer and the rest of the year to get on board! :Razz:
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_0974_zps08fbb1ef.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_0978_zpse946c103.jpg

Peter (ptn)
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/640797d1-66d9-4bfe-b300-b9e4177269d1_zps35ec4d5f.jpg

Jason (Jaysuuun) and Tess.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_0971_zpsfd7aab20.jpg

Plus Thien (bloox8)
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_0958_zps378c5e6e.jpg

It was great fishing with some of the SWAT crew again. Already looking forward to the next outing :Big Grin:

-Daniel

Jaysuuun
07-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Daniel, awesome first outing! I'm glad we were all able to get out. Tess would have caught more fish, but she was still getting accustomed to her baitcaster. Sorry again for the lunchtime run around. Good times, let's do it again!

A few pics from our camera.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02801_zps552afeaa.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/DSC02801_zps552afeaa.jpg.html)

Action Shot! LOL

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02793_zps8a85fc25.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/DSC02793_zps8a85fc25.jpg.html)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02796_zps8e10b8f8.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/DSC02796_zps8e10b8f8.jpg.html)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02798_zps7106d818.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/DSC02798_zps7106d818.jpg.html)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02797_zpse44b5da4.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/DSC02797_zpse44b5da4.jpg.html)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02799_zps2f281bc9.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/DSC02799_zps2f281bc9.jpg.html)

Nipple Twister
07-01-2014, 03:10 AM
Awesome report :Thumbs Up:, looks like SWAT has the beginnings of a SEAL Team.........way cool

Well done out there everyone, looks like a good time.......thanks for sharing and taking us along for the ride.....

Mike_Aye
07-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Awesome report, how long do you think it took you to get to the wall? I cant wait to get out there

SONNY
07-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Ahhh, how fun! Was thinking of investing a in a yak too! good stuff guys !

Raneman
07-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Great report Daniel! WTG on your first legal of the year! Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the yak. Ever since Peter got his he hasn't made much surf fishing time. Looking forward to more cool yak reports!

fishinone
07-01-2014, 04:56 PM
What a great first trip. I love fishing from my Hobie, having a fish drag you around is fun.

bachiboy
07-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Nice going Daniel! Looks like you guys were having some fun kickin' around out there. :Wink:

Congrats!
Don

murrieta angler
07-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Brother Daniel!
Been a while since I've seen a report from you..:Razz:
Congrats on the nice halibut and also good job letting Tess catch the most fish...:ROFL:
When she's hot, she's HOT!!!
It's good to see all of you getting out and having a good time, heck I didn't know Thien was still fishing...:Razz: :LOL:
Thanks to all of you for sharing the pics,
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
07-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Great report ya all...

When I saw Tess turned around in the yak, it made me laugh. One day my sister did that and she flipped right out into the ocean. We of course have to tease her every time.

Be safe

WWO

remington
07-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Thank you for sharing the great day you all had from the yaks Daniel.

Great job on the halibut brother!

Kelly

skunked4life
07-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Wow! Seriously? What a great outing! Daniel, Thien, Peter, Jason and Tess...that is like our own little yak all-star team! The pics truly reveal how much fun you guys (and gal) had together despite what you call a "slow" day.

Very nice first catch on the yak Daniel!!! That is a monster.

Ken

bloox8
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Nice write up bromigo!

Jeff, Tess, Peter, Daniel - as always, it was awesome fishing with you guys. I had a blast breaking in the new yak and I look forward to seeing you guys out there again soon. Hopefully next time Tess will show us some of her bass-killer techniques :LOL: Way to kill it sistah!

Hey Daniel, lets go bigger next time, yea?

T.N

bloox8
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Brother Daniel!
Congrats on the nice halibut and also good job letting Tess catch the most fish...:ROFL:
It's good to see all of you getting out and having a good time, heck I didn't know Thien was still fishing...:Razz: :LOL:
Robert
<><

Im back Robert! :Cool:

Badbeat
07-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Man, that looks like so much fun, great job everybody. :Big Grin:

Wingnut
07-03-2014, 05:02 PM
What's with all the kayak virgins launching in the harbor? :Envious:
The first time I even sat on a kayak, I launched from the open surf. :Razz:
Jonathan (ToadsOnly) launch ahead of me and JerryG launched right behind me. Perfect launch and landing, at least it was for me anyway... :LOL:
What a nerve wracking experience... it wasn't a flat day. I almost went sideways on the landing. :Surprised:
There seems to be quite a S.W.A.T. kayak armada forming here... I think we have 11 members who own kayaks now. :Thumbs Up:
Maybe someday I'll pull the trigger on one. :Wink:
Good to see all of you out there having fun...
Have a fun & safe 4th of July weekend, good luck out there everybody! :Big Grin:

Tesserz
07-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Nice write up bromigo!

Jeff, Tess, Peter, Daniel - as always, it was awesome fishing with you guys. I had a blast breaking in the new yak and I look forward to seeing you guys out there again soon. Hopefully next time Tess will show us some of her bass-killer techniques :LOL: Way to kill it sistah!

T.N

Hey Thien, who the hell is Jeff??? :LOL:

It was fun fishing with you guys, but good lord, that was a long @$$ paddle!! :Rolls Eyes: Jason told me it'd be around the same distance as Dana but NO, he lied. :mad: Luckily I was able to catch some fish so it made up for it. Haha. And of course the great company too. :Wink:

Daniel, nice job on the legal. So it's 29 inches now? :Envious: :Secret: :LOL: jk. Good thing you held onto that lone mackerel. Maybe we should join you in trying for hali next time.

Overall it was a good day. Hope we can all do it again sometime. :Razz:

bobabocker
07-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Tess,

Thien must've been thinking about me since he, Daniel and I have been going on a few party boat missions together. He is a ditz at times (as we all know)!

Awesome report guys, totally had me jealous and wanting to grab a cheap yak just to go out there with you guys!!

- Jeff

SP Dan
07-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Hey Daniel,

Man! .... When you pull the trigger you don't mess around! A "Hobie Craft" Kayak w/ Mirage drive and a fish finder ... WOW!!
What length is it?

That's a fantastic looking vessel! I like the way that you have it all set up. Did you get a good deal on it :EyePop:?
A co-worker of mine spent $4,300.00 on a set up like yours at the last Fred Hall show.

I can see that the SWAT armada is growing in numbers and will be a force to be reckoned with! :Guns:

"Congratulations" on securing that beautiful 29" Hali to your vessel!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's Brotha! :Cool:

SP Dan ..... <"))><

jerryG
07-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Nice outing guys.. Some good times right there. The harbor is a great way to get your feet wet while dialing in your new kayaks. The area offers a shot at a BIG halibut. It's been about 15yrs since my first kayak trip. As I recall I started the day with a paddle through the breakers and ended the day with a swim through the breakers.. Luckily I had everything tied down from day one so all that was lost was a little pride which was a small price to pay for all the bonito and big calicos that were caught and released that day. Most the exotics and monster fish that we are after live outside the break(ers) wall. We should plan a trip..

Jerry G

dlmoo312
07-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Daniel, awesome first outing! I'm glad we were all able to get out. Tess would have caught more fish, but she was still getting accustomed to her baitcaster. Sorry again for the lunchtime run around. Good times, let's do it again!

Nice pictures Jason! I didn't even realize Tess was using a baitcaster! lol We'll definitely be going out again real soon. Looking forward to it!

Awesome report :Thumbs Up:, looks like SWAT has the beginnings of a SEAL Team.........way cool

Well done out there everyone, looks like a good time.......thanks for sharing and taking us along for the ride.....

Thanks John! SWAT Seal Team.. I like the sound of that :LOL:

Awesome report, how long do you think it took you to get to the wall? I cant wait to get out there

Hey Mike, I'm actually not too sure how long it took, but I want to say getting there took at least a good 20-30mins. The paddle back felt like it took MUCH longer though since we ventured out farther and it wasn't as calm as in the morning.

Ahhh, how fun! Was thinking of investing a in a yak too! good stuff guys !

It was definitely worth it for me. It's a totally different way of fishing and just being out on the water on the yak is a great experience in itself :Big Grin:

Great report Daniel! WTG on your first legal of the year! Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the yak. Ever since Peter got his he hasn't made much surf fishing time. Looking forward to more cool yak reports!

Thanks Raney! I plan on getting as much mileage out of this kayak as I can this summer :Wink:

What a great first trip. I love fishing from my Hobie, having a fish drag you around is fun.

I can't wait to hook up to a fish that'll give me a nice sleigh ride :Envious:

Nice going Daniel! Looks like you guys were having some fun kickin' around out there. :Wink:

Congrats!
Don

Thanks Don! It was definitely a great time out there!

Brother Daniel!
Robert
<><

It really has been a while! Don't worry, I've still been getting some fishing in when I can :Wink:
And no kidding! Tess has some serious skills! :Big Grin:
Hope to see you out on the sand sometime soon bro!

Great report ya all...

When I saw Tess turned around in the yak, it made me laugh. One day my sister did that and she flipped right out into the ocean. We of course have to tease her every time.

Be safe

WWO

There were a few times that day that I was worried about flipping! If I wasn't paying attention, I'm positive that a few of the wakes made by the boat traffic would've got me:Razz:

Thank you for sharing the great day you all had from the yaks Daniel.

Great job on the halibut brother!

Kelly

Thanks Kelly! Congrats again on your induction fish!

Wow! Seriously? What a great outing! Daniel, Thien, Peter, Jason and Tess...that is like our own little yak all-star team! The pics truly reveal how much fun you guys (and gal) had together despite what you call a "slow" day.

Very nice first catch on the yak Daniel!!! That is a monster.

Ken

Thanks Ken! I'm still determined to get a few legals from the sand.. maybe the new halibut master can help me out in that area :Wink::LOL:
Hope to fish with you soon bro!

Nice write up bromigo!

T.N

Lol I think you meant Jason. We will definitely go hunting for some giants in the near future :Wink:

Man, that looks like so much fun, great job everybody. :Big Grin:

Thanks Binh!

What's with all the kayak virgins launching in the harbor? :Envious:
The first time I even sat on a kayak, I launched from the open surf. :Razz:
Jonathan (ToadsOnly) launch ahead of me and JerryG launched right behind me. Perfect launch and landing, at least it was for me anyway... :LOL:
What a nerve wracking experience... it wasn't a flat day. I almost went sideways on the landing. :Surprised:
There seems to be quite a S.W.A.T. kayak armada forming here... I think we have 11 members who own kayaks now. :Thumbs Up:
Maybe someday I'll pull the trigger on one. :Wink:
Good to see all of you out there having fun...
Have a fun & safe 4th of July weekend, good luck out there everybody! :Big Grin:

No shame in taking the safe route the first time right?? :Razz:
Don't worry commander, we'll be hitting the open surf soon enough :Envious:
I have to admit, I am pretty worried about getting rolled in the surf with the kayak. I'll definitely be taking all the necessary precautions with my gear incase that does happen.
Maybe we can get a SWAT kayak outing planned :Big Grin:

Hey Thien, who the hell is Jeff??? :LOL:

It was fun fishing with you guys, but good lord, that was a long @$$ paddle!! :Rolls Eyes: Jason told me it'd be around the same distance as Dana but NO, he lied. :mad: Luckily I was able to catch some fish so it made up for it. Haha. And of course the great company too. :Wink:

Daniel, nice job on the legal. So it's 29 inches now? :Envious: :Secret: :LOL: jk. Good thing you held onto that lone mackerel. Maybe we should join you in trying for hali next time.

Overall it was a good day. Hope we can all do it again sometime. :Razz:

Tess! It was great fishing with you!
You managed to outfish us WHILE getting used to your new bait caster.. very impressive :Cool:
I'm sure you got a good feel for the new reel after this session :Envious:
and I knew that skunk-buster mackerel was special! :LOL:

Tess,

Thien must've been thinking about me since he, Daniel and I have been going on a few party boat missions together. He is a ditz at times (as we all know)!

Awesome report guys, totally had me jealous and wanting to grab a cheap yak just to go out there with you guys!!

- Jeff

Nice to see a post from you Jeff :LOL:
Don't worry about the kayak, just get an inflatable and I'll tow you around bro :Envious:
Just kidding, I'm sure we'll be doing plenty of fishing together in the near future!

Hey Daniel,

Man! .... When you pull the trigger you don't mess around! A "Hobie Craft" Kayak w/ Mirage drive and a fish finder ... WOW!!
What length is it?

That's a fantastic looking vessel! I like the way that you have it all set up. Did you get a good deal on it :EyePop:?
A co-worker of mine spent $4,300.00 on a set up like yours at the last Fred Hall show.

I can see that the SWAT armada is growing in numbers and will be a force to be reckoned with! :Guns:

"Congratulations" on securing that beautiful 29" Hali to your vessel!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's Brotha! :Cool:

SP Dan ..... <"))><

Thanks Brother Dan!
I got a great deal from a really cool member on a kayak fishing forum. I think for fishing, the hands free, pedal-drive hobies are definitely the way to go.
I've never used a fish finder before so it'll take some getting used to, but it was awesome seeing the bottom structure and bait balls in the harbor. Can't wait to mark some big fish :Envious: BTW its a 12foot hobie outback.

Nice outing guys.. Some good times right there. The harbor is a great way to get your feet wet while dialing in your new kayaks. The area offers a shot at a BIG halibut. It's been about 15yrs since my first kayak trip. As I recall I started the day with a paddle through the breakers and ended the day with a swim through the breakers.. Luckily I had everything tied down from day one so all that was lost was a little pride which was a small price to pay for all the bonito and big calicos that were caught and released that day. Most the exotics and monster fish that we are after live outside the break(ers) wall. We should plan a trip..

Jerry G

I'm really dreading taking a spill in the waves, but I've heard that it's likely to happen sooner or later. I'll be as careful as I can timing the waves but will definitely be taking all the necessary precautions with the gear. Getting wet is way better than losing your gear AND getting wet :Razz:
With that said, I can't wait to launch out of the surf. There's a few places I'm interested in fishing and they all require surf launches.
We should definitely plan a trip! Expect a message :Wink:

anchor3n1
07-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Daniel:

very cool venturing forth in your new kayak and christening it with the big ole halie. I can't wait to see all the new fish adventures you have now that you have a whole new world to explore.

right on!,

Nick

Mike_Aye
07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks dlmoo312 great write up. I cant wait to take my kayak out there for the fishing and the overall experience