PDA

View Full Version : Skinner striper bite 6/28/14

Hotbite909
06-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone, I fished Skinner on a Saturday morning. Arrived at the lake and I was still a few car deep in line. But it wasn’t a problem because it was all tournament bass anglers. I thought that I would still be able to get a good fishing spot to fish for stripers on the bait and wait. We got to the spot and dropped anchor and our lines with anchovies. In about ten minutes my pole gets slammed. It stripped line real good for a few seconds. I caught my first early morning striper fish of the day. Not bad! It was around 5lbs fish. Then my grandson hooks up on his small pole with a Zebco #11 Spin cast reel with a slip bobber rig. It is basically a pan fish rig. The reel was screaming! He almost got spooled every time he hooked up. I was glad he only caught a smaller size fish or he might have lost all his line. It was good a time for sure!
By later in the morning we got strikes without a hook up. The fish would not hold on to the bait. It just ended up being slow in the middle morning but we all caught some decent fish and then we used up all of the bait. We left around noon. Also to the guy I talked to last Friday. Thanks for the jerk bait info and other stuff. I made a small video of the action. Thanks for watching.
http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/thegecko12/media/skinnervideopbv2014_0001_zps8a93b582.mp4.html?sort =3&o=0

P.A.W.
06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
That's great to put the kids on some fish! Get 'em started early. That area you were fishing in the video is kinda unfished for stripers right now but they are passing through off and on. Good choice.

GdHkSet1
06-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey everyone, I fished Skinner on a Saturday morning. Arrived at the lake and I was still a few car deep in line. But it wasn’t a problem because it was all tournament bass anglers. I thought that I would still be able to get a good fishing spot to fish for stripers on the bait and wait. We got to the spot and dropped anchor and our lines with anchovies. In about ten minutes my pole gets slammed. It stripped line real good for a few seconds. I caught my first early morning striper fish of the day. Not bad! It was around 5lbs fish. Then my grandson hooks up on his small pole with a Zebco #11 Spin cast reel with a slip bobber rig. It is basically a pan fish rig. The reel was screaming! He almost got spooled every time he hooked up. I was glad he only caught a smaller size fish or he might have lost all his line. It was good a time for sure!
By later in the morning we got strikes without a hook up. The fish would not hold on to the bait. It just ended up being slow in the middle morning but we all caught some decent fish and then we used up all of the bait. We left around noon. Also to the guy I talked to last Friday. Thanks for the jerk bait info and other stuff. I made a small video of the action. Thanks for watching.
http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/thegecko12/media/skinnervideopbv2014_0001_zps8a93b582.mp4.html?sort =3&o=0

Cool vid and nice job, that spincast got worked, hey what size hooks where you using for bait?

Hotbite909
06-30-2014, 04:59 PM
That's great to put the kids on some fish! Get 'em started early. That area you were fishing in the video is kinda unfished for stripers right now but they are passing through off and on. Good choice.
Yea, that is how the bite was happening. Like they where swimming by our area. It was hot for a short time. Then it would die off. I was stroked I caught fish because it has been about 15 yrs since I fished for striper at that lake.

Hotbite909
06-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Cool vid and nice job, that spincast got worked, hey what size hooks where you using for bait? Thanks. I just use large treble hooks. It is big enough to put three cut chunks of anchovy or a whole chicken liver. They get hooked good and stay on.

GdHkSet1
06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks. I just use large treble hooks. It is big enough to put three cut chunks of anchovy or a whole chicken liver. They get hooked good and stay on. Thanks.
To up your stringer- On your next outing try either a sz 4 or 6 bait holder hooks. They may have been the smaller schoolie's missing, anyways hope you and the grandson have another great time on the water.