PDA

View Full Version : .T.A.W.S (Totally A Wild Session) Friday 6/27

bones
06-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Short and sweet folks.
I have not put up a report in quite a while due to my commitments to family and work but believe me when I say...I'm still fishing..LOL

Friday evening I was feeling in need of some salt water therapy and decided to do a quick sundowner locally. The whole area was trashed with weeds and the LC approach was totally driving me nuts so I decided to tie on a 1/2 oz Big Hammer with a 4" sexy smelt tail and do the low and slow approach on the long cast to attempt to avoid any more weed induced anger....LOL

About 8:15ish I got bit hard and it was game on.... buttoned down my Sonora 4000 loaded up with 55lb braid and played tug of war with the beast. My back was up against the wall with the high tide in this spot where I usually would be standing on sand so I had to use the shore pound to pretty much get her airborn and deck her onto the rocks. It totally stunned her kinda like hitting her over the head with a rock itself. Kinda sucks because I would have let her go because...that's what I usually do but sometimes things don't work out for the 99% CPR guy if you know what I'm saying. During a quick tape out and photo op she she showed no signs of life at all and was bleeding pretty good through the gills from my inhaled Big Hammer so I had to worry about carrying home and cleaning a fish which is exactly what I DON'T want to do when I get home. Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do ya know!

The beast 35" and unfortunately 17lbs on my high tech bathroom scale...LOL

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/WSB06272014/a8773d1a-b361-4a66-9822-fb5346e2cdd7.jpg~original

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/WSB06272014/e2c48f4e-1320-4b66-aa6c-e4f1752e54ad.jpg~original

The bait....

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/WSB06272014/a1939967-8c5e-4ec2-b168-a000dd0cbbaa.jpg~original

So...Now I have to figure out what to do with about 7 lbs of fresh WSB but I think I have it handled with my Ex and kids and my girlfriend. A quick shout out to Bill "WWO"...Thanks for the recipe bro. Chelsea and I are going to give it a shot tonight.

P.S.
Quick little side note...

The water is way warm right now and off the Will Rogers jetty area the other night I managed one short halibut and one barely legal but get this...
I also got four mini cudas about 20" each. They attacked my Jackall hardbait with fierce attitude. First time I've ever caught cudas from the sand.
Sorry...it was a quick sesh...no pics.

------------<><

skunked4life
06-29-2014, 06:02 PM
OMG!

Lieutenant, that is a BEAST! Congrats on shooting straight to the top of the leaderboards with that beaut! Can't really say that I feel bad for you for having to clean and prepare such a treat though! I've been enjoying all of the text reports from the Commander but truly enjoyed the report sir! Maybe I need to come out of fishing retirement and put in a session or two. Been so busy keeping up with life that I think I have gone out three times in the last month. Hope that you are equally blessed off of the surf as you are on the surf. Maybe I will see you before HG6?

Ken

frankjz
06-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Way to go, Bones! You can do it with ease when you want to. Super impressed with this monster.

exfactor
06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
i'd settle for that one bite for a session! A beautiful specimen from the beach! I'll tell Pete (big hammer) about your catch.

bachiboy
06-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Not a bad therapy session there sir!:Wink: That's an awesome belated Father's Day present to a very committed dad! Well deserved brotha!

Congrats!!!
Don

basshole1
06-30-2014, 03:21 AM
Wow, congrats on the white sea bass!!! That's bad @$$!!! :Thumbs Up:

remington
06-30-2014, 06:50 AM
I was just talking to Arthur about your fish yesterday, that is amazing Mike!!! Please do not feel bad about harvesting that beautiful fish as the survival rate is extremely low when they inhale a swimmy. You did the right thing brother, fantastic report my friend!

Kelly

SP Dan
06-30-2014, 09:06 AM
"Congratulations Mike" on the "T.A.W.S."! :ROFL: That's too kewl!! :)

This 35" WSB "Ghost" is an excellent reward for all of the hours that you've spent searching for sea monsters in the surf!
Now .... this is definitely a fish for the SWAT leader board ... :Thumbs Up: WTG!! You have once again :EyePop: raised the bar for the rest of us to stride for!
And .... I like it!

Hey buddy ... I know that if the fish would have had the slightest chance of surviving, that you would have CPR'd it ...... but it didn't,
So ... I know that you will be enjoying your well deserved feast with your loved ones and friends! Bon appetit! Hint... hint! :Envious:

Thanks again for another "rare edition" fish report from the private journals of Lt Bones!

SP Dan <"))>< .......... "The Danimal!"

Nipple Twister
06-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Bones, the Ghostman gets the Grey Ghost.....you've been a man hard to pin down lately and then BAM, you pop up with something like this, well done Sir!

Thanks for sharin.........

Raneman
06-30-2014, 04:43 PM
WTG on taking the lead on a beautiful ghost Mike! Thanks for the report!

Which Way Out
06-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Yea I can see the regret all over you face..

Mike that's a stellar fish. You and your family deserve a gift now and then. Enjoy it. I know I would.

WWO

Jaysuuun
07-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Mike, congrats on a beast of a WSB! On the swimmie!? That's awesome my friend. That fish might light a fire under Tess' butt. I don't think she wants to lose her trophy! LOL That's one of the reasons why I don't like taking fish home either. I hate cleaning fish! But I do need more practice on my fileting techniques. On the rare occasions that I bring something home I end up butchering the filets. It's good to see a report from you.

dlmoo312
07-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Beautiful fish Mike!
The warm waters and cudas may be more indications great summer for fishing...
El Niņo?! :Envious:
Hope to run into you out there :Big Grin:

-Daniel

fishshep
07-01-2014, 05:55 PM
OUTSTANDING CATCH SIR !!! :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Hey Mike,
Again, beautiful fish and you deserve to take one home, every now and then...:whistle: :Big Grin:
I look forward to fishing with you in the near future.
Robert
<><

bloox8
07-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Your face is priceless :LOL:

Congrats on taking the lead Mike! She's a beaut!

It was good sharing some laughs with you and Lucas a few weeks back. I'll probably end up running to you again soon.

T.N

Badbeat
07-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Awesome fish Mike, congrats. :Big Grin:
I haven't been to the surf in awhile, guess it's time. :Wink:

jerryG
07-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Nice one Mike.. Well done..Good call on switching it up to the swimbait. I know you are one who understands the importance of fishing responsibly and that you would have preferred to watch the fish swim away than to have made the kill but don't feel bad it happens.. I'm sure it was delicious.. I have caught several sea bass of that grade from the kayak on swimbaits and I gotta say that I would be very hesitant to put too much pressure on that fish if it was hooked on the LC however on the swimbait you can put the wood to them without having to worry so much about the hooks straightening out.. Go get another one Mike...

JerryG

bobabocker
07-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Absolutely amazing! Must've been a hell a fight!

Wingnut
07-03-2014, 05:21 PM
I can't seem to hold the lead in any category on the Leader Board... :Envious:

That's one beautiful Ghost Lieutenant... you've release much more than your share, so enjoy the bounty. :Big Grin:
Nice job on adapting to the conditions and switching up to the swimmie, it paid off. :Thumbs Up:
Good to see a report from you again Brother, even if I had to insist on it... lol :LOL:
Have a fun & safe 4th of July weekend with the family.
I'll be heading North... :Wink: :Secret: :Razz:

Tesserz
07-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Woohoo very nice!!! Not sure if I'll be able to hang onto my trophy this year cauz that'll be hard to beat! Congrats! :Thumbs Up:

TUNAVIC
07-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Great catch,yeah that's one species that won't go to waste,WSB is great grilled,fried,baked,every way I've ever prepared it, it is one awesome tasting fish,I know you wanted to CPR it,but I'm sure you'll enjoy the fish,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

midgettosser1
07-07-2014, 12:25 PM
atta boy Mikeypoo.

DockRat
07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Congrats on the WSB, that is some good eats.
DR

THEFISHINMUSICIAN
07-09-2014, 03:22 AM
Really great score, Mike! I know you would have recycled the ghost girl if you could've.. I'm thinking' the Big Guy Upstairs knows when you need to load up on omega 3s.. could happen.. Throw a rock through my window next time you're passing by..
Best,
Sid Page
PS I had trouble logging in without changing my username.. still me though.

anchor3n1
07-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Hi Mike

I haven't been the boards in a awhile (lot's of work stuff going on). So when I saw your amazing WSB catch and post I was stoked for you! I am glad you persevered in the face of all that watery botanical stuff (i.e. 'salad') and switched to the swim bait weaponry:EyePop: You scored big time.

did you catch it up my way?

any way, take care,

Nick