PDA

View Full Version : Very nice summer kayak fishing day (video)

elbowlayer
06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
HEY NOW! Got to the lake right at 6 am on Friday morning and there was already a line at the gate like 10 cars deep. Luckily the staff had already taken the first couple of cars info so the line went fast. The clouds hung around most the morning and I was able to get on a pretty steady bite all morning. The water was warm and a bit stained so I threw lures all morning, most my fish came on a jerk bait and spin bait. A slow retrieve seemed to be the best, and most fish were in deeper water. 10-20 feet. The water level is up so that means a lot of the south shore is right around that depth and the islands are holding fish. I stayed out of the coves and concentrated on points and shorelines with deep water near them. I got to meet P.A.W for the first time, thanks for the tips, I will definitely be using them in the future. It was cool having a scale again and being able to weigh my fish. I was trying to add it all up and if my calculations are correct (which are probably wrong, I suck at math) my 5 biggest bass put me at just over 17.5 lbs. Not bad from a kayak. When I started fishing 2 years ago I could only imagine having days like the ones I have been having. I have been reading every article I can find on bass fishing, watching Bill Dance on tv, and it feels like its all coming together. lol. Im sure once I skunk again my tune will change... Enjoy the video , I try to keep em short.
http://youtu.be/pgrFiYfz8pU

shiromaguro88
06-28-2014, 08:55 PM
What kind of kayak is that? You don't fish Perris anymore. I talked to you last time when you had your tube. How is the kayak vs tube?

elbowlayer
06-29-2014, 08:08 AM
What kind of kayak is that? You don't fish Perris anymore. I talked to you last time when you had your tube. How is the kayak vs tube?

It is a field and stream eagle run kayak, it is a sit-in type. I havent been to perris in a while. I bought the year passes for skinner, because it is closer to my house, and have been taking advantage of them. Biggest advantage over the float tube is the ability to cover much more water. You can move so much faster in the kayak, and carry more gear. I do miss the ability to maintain my position like in the float tube, in the kayak when the wind is pushing you it is harder to maintain position and i dont like using an anchor. All in all i like the kayak more but I am already looking to upgrade it to a stand up type kayak, like the Jackson Kilroy.

shiromaguro88
06-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of getting a kayak. It sucks when you get a major cramp in your legs and you are a long distance from shore in the tube.

elbowlayer
06-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of getting a kayak. It sucks when you get a major cramp in your legs and you are a long distance from shore in the tube.

I would recommend it. I consider it a big upgrade. I got a sit in type because that is all they allow at Skinner, but if you wanted to do some offshore and still fish perris I would get a sit on top. Wilderness systems and Jackson Kayaks seem to be some of the top of the line yaks out there. Pricey but worth it, cause like some one told me when I first got mine, get ready for a major addiction, your going to spend a lot of time on it. He was right.

FishinMishin
06-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Thx the info always injoy your video

HOOK & BOOK
07-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Do you know if they allow Hobie PA-12 on Skinner. I've heard both yes and no.

elbowlayer
07-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Do you know if they allow Hobie PA-12 on Skinner. I've heard both yes and no.

Hey , sorry for the late response, I have seen a video on line a while ago of a guy in a hobie fishing skinner, I asked him how he got it in the lake, he said he was able to talk the gate personal into letting him in. Unfortunatly a few weeks ago I saw a guy bring a trailer with a few SIT on tops and they didn't let him launch. Honestly the HOBIE is big enough it should be considered a boat. So I guess my answer is, if you live close by I would give it a shot, you might get lucky, if not, I don't know if I would try it. I really wish we could convince them to change the Sit in only policy, it is a nice lake to kayak, not too big and not too small , and the boat traffic is minimal.