PDA

View Full Version : Perris Thursday 26th June

gwurzel
06-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Went to Lake Perris for the 2nd time this week on Thursday - so far, the result is Lake Perris 2, Me a big fat zero.

Launched the boat at 06:30 or so - its a bit of a journey from Twentynine Palms, and I'm so not a morning person.
Learnt from my previous mistakes, no problem launching - now we know we can drive down the ramp, pull a u turn and make the backing up bit much smaller and easier.

Wife wanted to fish the tyres all day - and convinced me to anchor up just off them - bout 30 feet or so. Spent the day mainly retying her rigs - with a bit of crank bait, suspended jerk bait throwing in between. Went to a t rigged creature later in the day, just for giggles. Got a bite on that, but being slow witted, missed it completely!!! (Think I was shocked I actually got a bite).

Watched a guy called Dave in a v. nice ranger pull in a 8lb plus bass (He came over to get pictures as he was fishing solo), beautiful fish.

All in all, a really nice day, weather wasn't blistering hot (bit overcast most of the morning), getting more used to the boat - tho I do need to restow some gear in different places. Only issue so far with the boat itself is my inability to get the front seat post to screw into place - wont seem to bite into the seating below. If anyone has any tips on getting that resolved, would be appreciated. I'm not going to return my boat over this small issue, only problem is I have no acl on my left knee, so my sense of balance is buggered. Makes it interesting to use the tm lol.....

Anywho Perris, I'll be back - anyone care to explain why I love this sport so much, when it can be so frustrating??

Wurz

Suspect I may have to turn on the Marino light - book a day with Pete to get some further instruction on exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. That wont be for a few weeks though, got a big project at work after this vacation week.
And wont mention the recovery fiasco lmao - a kind guy helped get the boat back on the trailer after watching me aimlessly floating around for a few minutes with the wife shouting at me.

DEVOREFLYER
06-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Recovery can be a challenge until you get it dialed in. My boat trailer MUST be at a specific depth in the water or it will not load, when I found that exact spot I put a piece of reflector tape on the fender at the water level. The only time I have a problem is when the ramp is too steep or shallow and an adjustment must be made. The boat MUST be power loaded onto the trailer due to the hull design, just a little tricky when your pushing with 200 hp and don't want to launch the boat into the back of your tow vehicle. More time on the water and practice and you will be over the learning curve.

HawgZWylde
06-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Went to Lake Perris for the 2nd time this week on Thursday - so far, the result is Lake Perris 2, Me a big fat zero.

Launched the boat at 06:30 or so - its a bit of a journey from Twentynine Palms, and I'm so not a morning person.
Learnt from my previous mistakes, no problem launching - now we know we can drive down the ramp, pull a u turn and make the backing up bit much smaller and easier.

Wife wanted to fish the tyres all day - and convinced me to anchor up just off them - bout 30 feet or so. Spent the day mainly retying her rigs - with a bit of crank bait, suspended jerk bait throwing in between. Went to a t rigged creature later in the day, just for giggles. Got a bite on that, but being slow witted, missed it completely!!! (Think I was shocked I actually got a bite).

Watched a guy called Dave in a v. nice ranger pull in a 8lb plus bass (He came over to get pictures as he was fishing solo), beautiful fish.

All in all, a really nice day, weather wasn't blistering hot (bit overcast most of the morning), getting more used to the boat - tho I do need to restow some gear in different places. Only issue so far with the boat itself is my inability to get the front seat post to screw into place - wont seem to bite into the seating below. If anyone has any tips on getting that resolved, would be appreciated. I'm not going to return my boat over this small issue, only problem is I have no acl on my left knee, so my sense of balance is buggered. Makes it interesting to use the tm lol.....

Anywho Perris, I'll be back - anyone care to explain why I love this sport so much, when it can be so frustrating??

Wurz

Suspect I may have to turn on the Marino light - book a day with Pete to get some further instruction on exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. That wont be for a few weeks though, got a big project at work after this vacation week.
And wont mention the recovery fiasco lmao - [QUOTE]a kind guy helped get the boat back on the trailer after watching me aimlessly floating around for a few minutes with the wife shouting at me.

Lol, sounds like he felt sorry for ya!

As for the fish, they are either in, or transitioning to deeper summer patterns. Some will remain shallow but most will be moving to deeper offshore structure. I'm not a Perris regular so I don't know the exact locations but hopefully you got a fish finder. So find the structure and look for "marks" on your graph indicating fish are there, then use a drop shot rig which is the easiest to use. I would tie your hook with a 12-16 inch tag line to the weight. In low light conditions use a 4-7 inch MMIII Roboworm and when the lights are on go to a 4-7 inch Oxblood/red flake Roboworm. Personally, I would fish with jigs as they are my confidence bait around the dam. T-rigs with natural colored creature baits(crawdads) would be a good choice as well. Reaction baits would be a tough choice in summer unless you use very deep diving cranks like the Strike King 10XD which dives up to 25 feet but they are big and heavy and you would need to gear up respectively. Early morning low light conditions you could use reaction baits in the shallows but when the lights go on you will need to fish deeper. Slow rolling a bluegill or shad colored spinnerbait could be the ticket here, and I would certainly try it as it too is another confidence bait of mine and I have had very good results with them when I did fish Perris.

Good luck,

HZW

gwurzel
06-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks HawgZ (yet again). I'll put that into practice next time at Perris - got a elite 5 on the bow, so will use the 5x pro on console to locate the fish, then use the bow FF to mark a waypoint etc. Once I eventually get the recovery thing sorted out, I'm wanting to hit DVL - the number of skiers etc and the need to stay out of their way on Perris can get annoying (not that they dont have the right to be there). Aware I was hampered by wife wanting to be anchored as well, but hey ho, a bad day on the water better than a good day in the office.

Wurz

Pete Marino
06-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Mid July and later is awesome at Perris Wurz.... let me know when your ready for another trip!!

June in my opinion is one of the toughest months...The bite is good however Ive been getting a decent number of fish but they are spread out in June. July on the other hand is lights out...At least in my boat..lol. Reactions in the morning and deep water in the late morning.. let me know when your ready... you know Ill dial you in!!

Pete

fishmounter
06-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Wurz - I sent you a PM..

gwurzel
06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Mid July you say Pete - hmmmmm, I can feel another vacation coming on lol........Once I get this next couple of projects done, I'll give you a ring brother.

Fishmounter, answered your pm fella.

Wurz