PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Lake

Karyn
06-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Thinking about driving up to Shasta and Mt. Lassen area (even though my penny landed on he Salt and Sea!) any tips? Might camp or rent a place... Going to take my dog... Not sure about the boat yet!!!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Karyn
Here's a link to a really nice RV campground in that area............. http://www.rancheriarvpark.com/ . There are other campgrounds too but I've been in this campground a few times.
From there you can take day/half day trips to areas to fish. Hat Creek, Pit River, Baum Lake, Eagle Lake, Shasta, etc.
That pond in the campground has browns, rainbows, and brookies in it, but it's all catch and release.
I like fishing Baum Lake best because of the average size of the Eagle Lake strain of rainbows there is about 1.5 lbs. each. NO GAS POWERED BOATS ALLOWED AT BAUM, electric trolling motored boats are allowed.
The Pit River also has both big rainbows and browns. Bait, lure, and flyfishing everywhere. Best PB that works all over that area is Salmon Peach and nightcrawlers, lures - yellow Panther Martin with red dots and a chrome blade, flyfishing - beadheaded Prince Nymphs and caddis patterns.

You'll have a great trip if you go!

TTFM

Karyn
06-29-2014, 07:12 AM
TTFM- wow! Awesome info! Thank you for taking he time to reply and for all the specifics. I'm excited to make the trip.. Still organizing-it going to be awesome! Thank you again.

evosamurai
06-29-2014, 08:03 AM
theres Lake Almanor up there, I hear there is very good fishing up there and is beautiful, also dog friendly...we will be going up there next month. http://www.lakealmanorarea.com/

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Evo
Almanor is a great place to fish if you know where the fish are when you go. I'd mostly deep troll near where the creeks enter the lake. leadcore or downriggers work the best.
Best to check the marina store to find where the fish are hanging. There are quite a few guides there also who can put you on a trophy catch. CD Rapalas are the hot ticket.
One bad thing about Almanor is it's about a 2 hour drive to the lake from the Old Station/Hat Creek area, where I always stay since I have free lodging there.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL MAKING THE VENTURE !
TTFM