PDA

View Full Version : Quick Bishop Trip Report

mr. trout
06-26-2014, 12:45 PM
With a few buddies and I home from college for a funeral, we decided to make a spur of the moment overnight trip up to Bishop to wet a line. We left Tuesday around 3 pm and had a tent pitched at our campsite (Sabrina Campground) by 6:30. We did a little creek fishing around the campsite and at the pools below Sabrina before the sun went down, and managed to get a few nice bows' and a couple of browns. I wish I had brought my fly gear. I haven't seen that many fish feeding that hard on the top in a while. It was pretty cool to sit back and watch as the sun went down. We built a campfire and grilled up a couple browns and some hot dogs, and figured out our plans for the morning. We got to Sabrina around 7:30 Wednesday morning, rented a half-day, and were the first ones out on the lake. We headed straight to the back, to the Dingleberry inlet. It always takes a little time to figure out the feedings area, as the water level is noticeably different every time I visit Sabrina. We beached the boat and went to work. On my first cast of the day I hooked into a good one. After a lively fight, I reeled in the rainbow, weighing in at just under 3 pounds. Not the biggest I've hooked into back there, but a solid way to start the day! from then on, it was non-stop action for us. They were nailing just about every plastic we threw at them. We kept 5 quality fish for the stringer, but C&Red well over 60 on the day, between the 3 of us. The bait and wait folks didn't seem to fair as well as usual back there. Apparently, the stocking truck hadn't paid a visit in over a week, so it could be a result of heavy fishing pressure. Either way, we faired just fine. Our motor had some issues starting up, and we ended up paddling back all the way. The lake felt a little bigger than usual, paddling back with 2 wooden oars. We were down the mountain by 2 with a nice stringer, and some good memories! Thanks for reading!

-Mr. trout

Nicelag
06-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Great report guys, glad to hear there's water up there this year. Last year was baaad!

smidge
06-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Nice overnight mission!