PDA

View Full Version : Sierra trip advice

StumpFisher
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone. I'm heading up in August with my two boys for our newly annual camping trip. I usually fish the San Joaquin with spinning gear but wanted to hit up a day in bishop creek area, rock creek, or convict. I'm not too familiar with those areas so any advice would be appreciated. I'm not really looking for size just want to get the young boys 4 and 8y/o on the fish. It always makes me happy when they're catching fish so want to make sure I get the most out of the days we have there.

Thanks in advance!

twsjwe
06-24-2014, 11:40 AM
I took my two sons to Little Lakes Valley years ago (end of Rock Creek Canyon) and caught more fish then we could count. My boys were about the same age as yours are now--hike was pretty easy, less then two miles. And so many lakes and waters to fish there. Good luck.

pitman
06-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Were heading up Saturday for three days in Mammoth and Two days in Bishop. I will make sure to post a report or two...

paintsn
06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
bishop creek area, rock creek, or convict.

All you stated above are great places.. plenty of fish to catch on any of em.. but for their age.. the creek maybe a little bit too hot, for its gonna be in the tripple digits.. being up there. .. plenty of water is the key..and dress accordingly to what mother nature will hit you.. it could be crazy..but going through it.. you and your son will share those moments for a lifetime...but rock creek to me would be best.. great area to fish and many many fish to catch.. last month trip my 8 years old son was slaying about 20-40 fish in any lake we went..

I too have an annual family trip for the Sierra, which started since 2007.. but on a monthly basis till they go back to school, every year when the season open... me and my two boys would go camping up there..searching, learning and conquering.. I will be there the first week of Aug. will be hitting Saddlebag..heheh

StumpFisher
06-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks to everyone. I wish I could get up there more often but work is just too crazy. Thanks again!

mr. trout
06-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Hey there,

My dad took me up to the Bishop Creek Canyon when for the first time when I was 12 years old. I still remember how taken away I was at the sheer beauty of the area, even at such a young age. He put me on some fish right away at Intake 2, and I was sold from that point on. Some of my favorite memories as a teenager with my dad are cruisng around the area, and fishing at the different spots in the canyon.

I'm now in college, and when I come back to California to visit in the summer, heading up west line street is one of the things I look forward to the most. It isn't about the fishing as much anymore, which speaks in volumes to me. I just get a strong sense of nostalgia every time I enter the beautiful area, and that's something I cherish even more than the number of fish I catch. I am so glad my dad decided to take me up there when I was young, and I highly recommend the area for the your kids as well. Idk if there is a better place in the sierras to spend a solid day of fishing. Feel free to DM me , and I would be more than happy to share a few of my favorite spots with you, where you are sure to get your children on some fish. Hope this helps!

-Mr. Trout

kzhlin
06-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Not sure about right now, but I was at Mammoth less than a week ago. Convict Lake was slow.

Maybe hit up Sabrina or Virginia in Bishop and Lone Pine.