PDA

View Full Version : Rig for noob

jcskim
06-22-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm going on a charter mainly fishing for calicos, sculpin etc what kind of rig should I use with the live bait? I was thinking a Carolina rig? I'm a trout guy so any help is appreciated!

basshole1
06-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey jcskim, I wouldn't recommend a C-rig on a boat. If you are using live bait for Calico Bass, you will most likely be flylining (no weight, hook to line) your 'chovie or sardine. In fact, flylining is the preferred method for fishing kelp bass regardless of what type of bait/lure you utilize. In regards to equipment/tackle, I would go with a 2/0 live bait hook. Gamakatsu or Owner should do the trick. Braided or fluorocarbon line matched up with a fast action rod is almost a must. You will have to set the hook quick, set the hook hard, and be able to rip the fish out of the kelp. It's a very exciting type of fishing, one of my fav's.

Sculpin are pretty easy. Once you locate the fish, obtaining limits shouldn't be a problem. Double dropper loop would be the best bet. I usually hook the bait underneath the mouth through the top of the nose. Remember, when using live bait, an animated and frisky fish is always better. Depending on current/conditions, a 4 - 10 oz weight might be necessary as you will be bottom fishing most of the time. With this setup, you have the opportunity to hook other species. (rockfish, salmon groupers, etc.)

If you prefer a simpler method, tie a 1 oz jig head to the end of your line and throw a piece of squid on there. It will catch you fish. However, this method will only be effective when fishing closer to the shore. It will take way too long for your bait to sink during deeper, offshore situations. Whether you privately charter a vessel or jump on a cattle boat, the captain should advise you of what the most productive rigs are. Having the proper equipment available is important, so purchasing some saltwater tackle beforehand would be a good idea. Hope some of this info helped. I wish you a great trip and looking forward to the report.

jaggerbub
06-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Agreed with basshole1....

jcskim
06-23-2014, 01:25 PM
thanks for the help!!!