PDA

View Full Version : Hitting DVL on Monday

gwurzel
06-20-2014, 07:44 AM
First time out on my boat, first time on DVL - intend rigging a top water, drop shot, and probably something to drop deeper with a hardbait.

If anyone has any tips, would appreciate it, dont want specific marks or anything - whats the fun in that

Looking forward to this trip immensely - if you see me on the lake looking lost, or like I have no idea what I'm doing, come say hello or something. All insults gratefully received lol...

Wurz

HawgZWylde
06-20-2014, 07:55 AM
T-rigged creature baits and wind-chopped banks are your friends. At least they were mine when we were out last Tuesday. Good luck out there...

gwurzel
06-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks Hawgz, much appreciated. And for those who sent me a pm with tips, thank you too.
Trip delayed until Tuesday, got called into work for Monday (I'm supposed to be on vacation, dagnabit!)

Wurz

HawgZWylde
06-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks Hawgz, much appreciated. And for those who sent me a pm with tips, thank you too.
Trip delayed until Tuesday, got called into work for Monday (I'm supposed to be on vacation, dagnabit!)

Wurz

You're welcome. See ya out there on Tuesday...

ela
06-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Fish DEEP !!!!

BassinPLS
06-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Drop Shot Oxblood or MM III deep!

gwurzel
06-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Well, what a day - got the boat ready the day before, lower unit dry, batteries all charged, gear set up for nominal plan of attack. Get into bed around 10, getting up at 4 to get going for 4:30. Phone goes off at 2am, one of my friends is having pain in his kidney, passing blood etc - travel down to his place, get him to the local ER. Not so good - waiting for an update on his tests to come back. Get home for 6am, wife is annoyed now - ask her if she still wants to go. Yep, but she's changed her mind about which lake, so we hit Perris instead.

No problems launching - well, once we discovered neither of us can back up a boat on a ramp anyway - finally got the boat into the water. - engine wont start - so now I'm getting annoyed - started muttering under my breath - and then noticed the dead mans' switch was still set to off (sigh). Flick that up to run, engine beeps, starts first turn of the key. We get underway, traveling up the the other side of the island, with me setting up the fish finder on the console so I have some idea whats going by under us.

Get set up fishing (top water baits - think it was way too late, as it was after 9am by this time) but we'll give it a go. Wife turns round, I need the restroom - so back to the jetty we go. Wife does her business, we trundle back to where we were - to find a couple of others boats are now there. No big deal, we travel down to the dam - using the high speed zone to get there faster. I'm restricted to 5k revs' as the engine needs that burn in time. I hit 3.5k, the boat gets on plane and holy crap - that things is pretty quick. Slow hole shot, but when it gets on plane - pretty sweet. Steering very tight when on plane, but prefer that to having it way loose so I cant do anything stupid.

Get up to the dam, wife is throwing a drop shot, Im throwing a texas rigged word, no luck there. Wife wants to fish the tyres, so I switch to a square bill crank - first cast, boom - fish on - wife is saying its just grass, until it showed itself right at the side of the boat - swing it up and in, just before it hits the carpet, out comes the hook, the fish hits the carpet (right next to the gunwhales) and squirms itself right back into the lake. Looked at my wife, that counts right? Nope, you didnt get to take a pic, so its no bueno for you. She's laughing hysterically, and I cant do anything but grin. We continued using shallow cranks etc over the tops of the grass (once the bait was running and bringing back grass - we moved back out - tried to keep it simple for myself kinda deal.

Missed a couple of other fish during the course of the day - but not a big deal, the day was more about getting the boat out, getting some fishing done and getting used to how the boat behaves, rides etc.

Fun day despite all the bickering - wife is sunburnt, I'm sunburnt - we had some giggles, boat goes well, rides nice, finders are nice - got the lowrance 5x elite on the bow (transducer mounted on the trolling motor).

Things I learned today - turn the master switch to run before trying to start the engine and getting all frustrated. When moving, before sitting down to start the engine up - bring the trolling motor up - lost count of the number of times I sat to move us, then had to get back up to bring the tm in. Dont take an extra cooler, it gets in the way. Dont store stuff you dont want to get wet in the livewell - it auto fills (I could plug it, but didnt think about that.

All in all, so far, the boat has been solid - walked all over the deck to see if there was any give - none felt. Took the plug out at the end of the day - out came a single drop of water - so that's all good too.

DVL on Thursday (or if wife changes her mind, Perris on thursday).

Thanks for the tips - noted all for future reference.

Wurz

DEVOREFLYER
06-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I think we have all tripped the deadman switch and did not know it and wondered WTF is going on with the motor. The learning curve on backing up was a pain when I got my boat. A 220 foot private drive to back down and a 90 degree turn at the end with a tandem axel trailer was not fun. Backing the trailer is a challenge when the boat is off because the trailer is not visible with my trucks bed cover and the trailer often disappears in the exterior mirrors. It will all become easier as you use the boat. You will also reorganize many many times how you store and layout your gear in the boat, ask me how I know.