PDA

View Full Version : Bass fishing help (Laguna Niguel Lake)

clos_fish05
06-16-2014, 12:56 PM
How's it going, my name is Carlos. I got my self a Groupon for laguna Niguel lake. I heard they have some world class large mouth bass. I'm not that good at lake fishing and wanted some advice. What time is best and what bait and what type of line setup (hook, let and weight) any help is appreciated.

etucker1959
06-16-2014, 01:19 PM
How's it going, my name is Carlos. I got my self a Groupon for laguna Niguel lake. I heard they have some world class large mouth bass. I'm not that good at lake fishing and wanted some advice. What time is best and what bait and what type of line setup (hook, let and weight) any help is appreciated.

Hi Carlos,

I'm not a huge Bass fisherman, but I think that's what you need more then an experts advice. I do know the lake so that's a big help, I would highly recommend a boat and fish the evening hours. If you never been there before, it's a lake that is covered with good vegetation around a good portion of the lake. Cast parallel to the vegetation and work yourself around the whole lake starting with the Dam and ending with the Island.

This is where not being a bass pro has it advantages. I'm not recommending any thing that is hard to fish. Crank baits lip or lip less are great baits for a beginning bass pro. All's you have to do is take them out of the package tie them to your line and reel them in. It can be that simple. Another no brainer bass lure is a Senko. It's a weighed plastic worm, put it on a appropriate hook cast it out, twitch it a few times and WHAM they will hit it!!!!!! You can't fish a Senko wrong, most of the time they hit it on the sink. If you tell us where you live, we can probably recommend a good tackle shop near by that will fix you right up. Any more questions don't be afraid to ask.

PS I was thinking about going myself in the next week or two, I been hearing some good things about the bass fishing lately.

twin22s
06-16-2014, 01:32 PM
I have fished for LMB there a few times, its not hard to catch them from shore with soft plastics but there is limited access. my go to is a natural colored robo worm. 4.5" up to 7" depending on the size of bass you are after though big bass will hit small baits and visa versa. senko's are great but you have to have enough patience to let them fall to the bottom and twitch them around subtly. If your not comfortable working a soft plastic very slow I'd try a spinnerbait in a bluegill pattern or off white. cranks tend to get hung up more and catch all of moss. The bass in that lake have all been caught several times as it is catch and release only so stick with natural colors and light line. I'll echo the evening bite being one of the best times to fish but don't overlook the AM bite either. I'll bring a lunch and take a break when the bite slows midday and get back on the water a few hours before closing. if it is overcast they will bite almost all day.
good luck to ya and let us know how you do.

clos_fish05
06-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Hi Carlos,

I'm not a huge Bass fisherman, but I think that's what you need more then an experts advice. I do know the lake so that's a big help, I would highly recommend a boat and fish the evening hours. If you never been there before, it's a lake that is covered with good vegetation around a good portion of the lake. Cast parallel to the vegetation and work yourself around the whole lake starting with the Dam and ending with the Island.

This is where not being a bass pro has it advantages. I'm not recommending any thing that is hard to fish. Crank baits lip or lip less are great baits for a beginning bass pro. All's you have to do is take them out of the package tie them to your line and reel them in. It can be that simple. Another no brainer bass lure is a Senko. It's a weighed plastic worm, put it on a appropriate hook cast it out, twitch it a few times and WHAM they will hit it!!!!!! You can't fish a Senko wrong, most of the time they hit it on the sink. If you tell us where you live, we can probably recommend a good tackle shop near by that will fix you right up. Any more questions don't be afraid to ask.

PS I was thinking about going myself in the next week or two, I been hearing some good things about the bass fishing lately.

Hey thanks alot. I live in Yorba Linda. I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to be heading out this sunday. I'm going to fish fro. The shore early in the morning and then head out on a boat. I get 3 hr boat with my group on. Yeah any tackle shop that can help would be greatly appreciated.

etucker1959
06-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Hey thanks alot. I live in Yorba Linda. I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to be heading out this sunday. I'm going to fish fro. The shore early in the morning and then head out on a boat. I get 3 hr boat with my group on. Yeah any tackle shop that can help would be greatly appreciated.
If you need a little help getting tackle, I would recommend Fisherman's Hardware on Imperial highway near the Brea Mall. Ask for Frank he is a really nice guy, tell him you want to drop shot for bass and he will fix you right up.

clos_fish05
06-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks a lot

clos_fish05
06-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll post pictures if I do catch anything

clos_fish05
06-17-2014, 09:52 PM
I'll be there this Sunday the 22nd if any will be there and willing to help/ fish together. I'll have a boat for 3 hrs

clos_fish05
06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Some picture worthy LMB from today. got 7 but most small, but still fun