PDA

View Full Version : Where to Shoot

Jbfish
06-14-2014, 09:36 AM
So i posted a while back about what shotgun to buy. Created a ton of feedback and controversy from dudes arguing what gun is the better gun and such. I decided to get a Mossberg 500, it came with 2 barrels one hunting and one tactical barrel. Got it from Big 5 for 289 on sale and I also got a discount from a buddy who works there. Now I want to take it out and shoot it a bit but i dont want to pay to go to a range. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME SOME UNREGULATED SHOOTING AREAS WITHIN 45 MIN OF ANAHEIM?? thanks for the help! *JBfish*

tacklejunkie
06-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Take your "gat" up to the hills outside of Los Angeles. There's tons of places to shoot.
Usually people shoot a good 5-7 miles outside city limits for safe practices, but there is a good chunk of ranges that are much closer to towns than this.
I have found a good many ranges by just driving around on motorcycles in the hills around all the places I have lived.
There's some in Perris, Riverside, Redlands, Beaumont, Pinion Hills, Palmdale, Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks, Hemet... all over. Get in your truck, drive into the hills and look for shells on the ground. I usually try and place a hill or mountain or mound of dirt behind what I will be shooting too, for good measure that no rounds will fly passed my intended target.. even when shooting clays. Watch out for the other boneheads around you, too. I've ran into some pretty crazy people out shooting at unregulated ranges. :EyePop:

Bring your shotgun glasses, earmuffs or earplugs, and lots of water and snacks.

Just do me one favor..
Bring a rake, take home your shells, and take home more shells than you brought.

Enjoy!

One last thing. Check out calguns.net and they have spots listed on there. A lot of the spots, people don't list publically because they don't want to be picking up your shells.
I enjoy finding my own shooting spots, myself. I do lots of exploring down odd dirt roads in the middle of nowhere.

old pudd fisher
06-14-2014, 06:26 PM
We like the high desert to shoot. Lots of space off 395 past 58 but a little far from Anaheim.

Nipple Twister
06-14-2014, 06:44 PM
I would have to disagree with the previous post, unless it is private property or a designated shooting area there are not many, if at all, open shooting areas in Los Angeles County LEGALLY.......certainly nothing 45 mins or in the "hills outside of Los Angeles". All the other cities listed by the poster are far from 45 mins away, I would suggest Riverside or San Bernardino County. Lots of areas have legal hunting but target practice is not allowed. There are not to many places now days as "middle of nowhere", you might get away with a few rounds and bail but if caught can bring hefty fines. There is a small area near Alamo Mountain near Gorman, go thru the OHV area towards Piru Creek is a small area called Kentucky Canyon off Gold Hill Road. Personally I use Burro Canyon off of East Fork Road up Azusa Cyn. If I have a weekend planned I head up past Dove Springs area back against the hills or Lucerne Valley, Johnson Valley ..... any BLM property.

And I couldn't agree more with the previous post: PLEASE leave the area cleaner then you found it!!!!

Not saying I agree with all the restrictions, just trying to save you some headaches and choose a safe spot to shoot........... it is sad but firearm ownership and shooting in Ca is gonna cost ya........

Good Luck and remember, the safest best firearm to use is the one you practice with.........often.

Viejo
06-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Good advice. San Bernardino County is very restricted as to where you can legally shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns. They have a map available on the Sheriff's website. Also...California has now enacted draconian gun laws regarding transportation of weapons in vehicles. Each weapon must be unloaded and in a locked case. Ammunition must be stored in the trunk or completely away from the drivers area. Depending on the LEO's that might stop you, some are more strict about it then others. LA County Sheriff's are very uptight about the issue.

Like what everyone said...take back more then you give in regards to casings and trash.

DEVOREFLYER
06-14-2014, 09:20 PM
BLM is closing and or closed many areas due to fire hazard.

DockRat
06-15-2014, 06:25 AM
You can shoot off a boat in the ocean legally. I think 3 miles is the limit.
DR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW13ulsdkbA

Skyler
06-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Good advice. San Bernardino County is very restricted as to where you can legally shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns. They have a map available on the Sheriff's website. Also...California has now enacted draconian gun laws regarding transportation of weapons in vehicles. Each weapon must be unloaded and in a locked case. Ammunition must be stored in the trunk or completely away from the drivers area. Depending on the LEO's that might stop you, some are more strict about it then others. LA County Sheriff's are very uptight about the issue.

Like what everyone said...take back more then you give in regards to casings and trash.

Only hand guns and registered assault weapons need to be in a locked container. He can transport his shotgun unloaded loose in the cab. If he is in an unincorporated area, he can have a full magazine as well, so long as a round isn't chambered.

As for places to target shoot, clay shooting doesn't fall under traditional "target shooting" regs on Blm land. You can do it anywhere that is over 150 yards from a structure or campsite, except in special use areas. Best bet is to call the rangers in the area you want to shoot and get the downlow.

Nipple Twister
06-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Only hand guns and registered assault weapons need to be in a locked container. He can transport his shotgun unloaded loose in the cab. If he is in an unincorporated area, he can have a full magazine as well, so long as a round isn't chambered.

As for places to target shoot, clay shooting doesn't fall under traditional "target shooting" regs on Blm land. You can do it anywhere that is over 150 yards from a structure or campsite, except in special use areas. Best bet is to call the rangers in the area you want to shoot and get the downlow.

I would STRONGLY recommend transporting ANY firearm unloaded and separating the ammo from the firearm. Appearances will set the attitude if you happen to be stopped by law enforcement, if it appears as though you are acting in a safe responsible manner will generally keep you from unnecessary hassles.......

DR, cool video but one might construed that as unsafe gun play..........shooting from a moving private vessel, alcohol consumption, passing a"hot" firearm back and forth.......hmmm.......questionable, maybe.

DockRat
06-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Unsafe gun play.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et33bbA0GeM

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
06-18-2014, 08:05 AM
I see shotgun shells at the beach all the time. Im sure no one will hear you pop off a few rounds in the middle of the night while the waves are crashing

sick gun btw!

tamddo714
06-18-2014, 10:35 PM
that's awesome if you can legally shoot offshore.

Nipple Twister
06-19-2014, 03:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et33bbA0GeM

Hahahaha, yup, that pretty much covers it!!!.........DR, you always have the right video right on que.......well done....

jbfish, have you decided on a place to go?????

tacklejunkie
07-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Bump.
Go to Beaumont and exit sunset. Go south on the dirt road and follow it back into the hills. People shoot there all day.
20 cop cars and one police chopper went by me back there while holding my 7.62x39 AR-15 and firing rounds. They drove right by me and kept on going.
Ps just picked up an ankle biter Kel-tec p11 9mm pistol today. Got me thinking of this thread. Thankfully I'm not in Los Angeles, SoCal or California at all. Hehe. Gonna celebrate my independence with real firepower!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olaa2jRxhxA

Kataakataakattakataa!

Funny how they're selling "safe and sane" fireworks at Walmart here. Right across the street from big five who sells deadly guns and powder in the form of reloading supplies. Come on already. Give us the mortars and real explosives. We can hang.

vanillagurilla
07-03-2014, 04:07 AM
Bump.
Go to Beaumont and exit sunset. Go south on the dirt road and follow it back into the hills. People shoot there all day.
20 cop cars and one police chopper went by me back there while holding my 7.62x39 AR-15 and firing rounds. They drove right by me and kept on going.
Ps just picked up an ankle biter Kel-tec p11 9mm pistol today. Got me thinking of this thread. Thankfully I'm not in Los Angeles, SoCal or California at all. Hehe. Gonna celebrate my independence with real firepower!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olaa2jRxhxA

Kataakataakattakataa!

Funny how they're selling "safe and sane" fireworks at Walmart here. Right across the street from big five who sells deadly guns and powder in the form of reloading supplies. Come on already. Give us the mortars and real explosives. We can hang.

Holy shh! Where the F have u been? Lol! You found an AR that fires AK rounds? I just came across one that shoots 300 win mag! I shoot out off hodge Rd in the 15 north of Victorville or I have a friend with property in East Lucerne. Got an ar10, S&w 1911, xd40, Remington 12g, and a Howa 308 for when I need to really reach out and touch something!

DockRat
07-03-2014, 06:45 AM
The Doe Run Lead plant is right here in Missouri and Yes, it is closing due to over regulated EPA rulings. Save your lead!!

All you can do is shake your
head.......

All lead for bullets will have
to come from overseas! This move will also make the cost 100 LL
(100 low lead aviation fuel) UNAFFORDABLE. Approximately 2 g of lead is added to each gallon of aviation fuel!

There are numerous alarming
reasons why the US government and the military have been buying up all the ammo. Here’s one of them.

Obama and the EPA just shut
down the last lead smelting plant in the US. They raised the EPA regulations by 10 fold and it would have cost the plant $100 million to comply. You can own all the guns you want, but if you can’t get ammo, you are out of luck.

Remember when obama promised
his minions that he was working on gun control behind the scenes?

Welcome to it. Now, all
domestic mined lead ore will have to be shipped overseas, refined and then shipped back to the US. Not only will ammo now be even harder to come by, the demand and the process of supply will cause the price to skyrocket even more.

And ponder this… There is an
excellent chance that obama will rig the market to where all ammo has to be purchased from a government entity instituting de facto ammo registration.

So much for the Second
Amendment. There has not been a peep about this in the major news outlets and it is done.

With the US no longer producing
lead, all supplies will now have to come from China, Australia or Peru, with the overwhelming emphasis on China. More redistribution of wealth; more economic and liberty crippling of the US on tap.

Marxists will do or die and are
doubling down on the destruction of energy in America, our way of life and the Constitution.

The smelting plant has known
since 2010 this was coming. They couldn’t stop it and no one else rose up to stop it either. The business had been in production for 120 years and now goes the way of our auto industry.

The military’s obsession with
ammo was related to security and supply. They knew this was coming too, so they bought up all they could get before the plug was pulled. Screw the average American. It’s as Chris Muir said, he’s not as worried about where the bullets will come from, as much as how the government will deliver them and I’m right there with him on that one.

So, back door gun control is
moving forward and while we are all distracted with shiny stuff, our Second Amendment rights are just about gone. obama is one Marxist dictator who is savvy at political chess. He has flanked the Second Amendment. Now it’s our move.

You can Google this if you
don’t believe it, or read this article:
http://www.thenewame...tion-production

Long
term what this means: Your investment in ammo may be your best investment. Guns will be plentiful but ammo will be another story. How does $3.75 a round (that’s for one bullet) for a 9mm work for you? Box of 50 would only cost you $187.50

DarkShadow
07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Guns will be plentiful but ammo will be another story. How does $3.75 a round (that’s for one bullet) for a 9mm work for you? Box of 50 would only cost you $187.50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw

You're onto something there, DR.

tacklejunkie
07-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Yup
1 tiny unseen law at a time they will remove our right to own firearms and then use them against us.
They're gonna have to take my guns and bullets from my cold dead hands.
..and yes I saw that army General say that would be happy to do just that. Poor bastard probably passes the litmus test with flying colors. I feel sorry for him lol.

what up VG.
If you guys buy guns that shoot Russian ammo, you'll still only pay $0.25 a shot. 7.62x39 at Walmart is only $5 a box of 20 rounds still.
Pocked up 9mm for $14 for 50 shots of federal FMJ RN. Good stuff but not hollow.

That AR upper was an Armalite m4-a1 7.62x39 or something like that. Super legit. $700. $600 if you get it before they price tag it and hang it on the shelf at ammo bros ;) that 7.62x39 upper was the gun I always wanted my 5.56 to be.

The special 30 round magazines that fed the 7.62 into the AR I got online and had them shipped to me here in Oregon. It was a standard franklin armory billet AR-15 lower receiver. High quality yet again.

youd like my 8 shot semi automatic weatherby 12ga, Adam. The beast!
I want a 50 cal sniper rifle lol but it's like $10 a round. Those damn things are heeeeeeuuuuuge! Spring recoiled barrels lol

tacklejunkie
07-03-2014, 08:10 PM
People back in the Redlands canyons at the south end of live oak canyon road who own horse property frequently shoot rifles on their lands. Some of these spots are accessible by dirt roads and there is shells everywhere. Shoot at your own risk? I'm unaware of the legality of shooting there, but have found such spots on my DRZ-400 and lots of shot up targets laying around. In Hemet, search up a place called "Bee Canyon". You'll likely find a Calguns.net listing in the results pointing you to a forum page with directions to this spot. Been there, shot that. Nice if you get your own spot. Good legal place to take your 9mm on the DRZ-400. Or your Jeep..There's a spot near the small town of Lake Mathews but I don't want to share it ;) There is places I shoot in the San Bernardino Mountains as well. Talk with the local ranger stations. And pack out your trash.

smokehound
07-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Lol go white-wing hunting with that mossberg :lol:

Daryl
07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Wow, imagine what that will do to the price of batteries.. About 80 percent of all lead produced in the U.S. is used in batteries. The fact is, most all lead bullets are made from recycled lead produced by secondary smelters. While Doe Run shut down its "primary" smelting facility, it's "secondary" smelting facility in southern Missouri is still up and running and providing lead to bullet manufacturers. As long as we continue making batteries and recycling them, we'll have bullets to shoot.

To the OP, if you want to have a fun time shooting, head to Raahauges in Corona for their sporting clays stands. You bring your own bird shot (7 or 8) and pay per target. Otherwise, Prado has trap and skeet. I prefer sporting clays.

The Doe Run Lead plant is right here in Missouri and Yes, it is closing due to over regulated EPA rulings. Save your lead!!

All you can do is shake your
head.......

All lead for bullets will have
to come from overseas! This move will also make the cost 100 LL
(100 low lead aviation fuel) UNAFFORDABLE. Approximately 2 g of lead is added to each gallon of aviation fuel!

There are numerous alarming
reasons why the US government and the military have been buying up all the ammo. Here’s one of them.

Obama and the EPA just shut
down the last lead smelting plant in the US. They raised the EPA regulations by 10 fold and it would have cost the plant $100 million to comply. You can own all the guns you want, but if you can’t get ammo, you are out of luck.

Remember when obama promised
his minions that he was working on gun control behind the scenes?

Welcome to it. Now, all
domestic mined lead ore will have to be shipped overseas, refined and then shipped back to the US. Not only will ammo now be even harder to come by, the demand and the process of supply will cause the price to skyrocket even more.

And ponder this… There is an
excellent chance that obama will rig the market to where all ammo has to be purchased from a government entity instituting de facto ammo registration.

So much for the Second
Amendment. There has not been a peep about this in the major news outlets and it is done.

With the US no longer producing
lead, all supplies will now have to come from China, Australia or Peru, with the overwhelming emphasis on China. More redistribution of wealth; more economic and liberty crippling of the US on tap.

Marxists will do or die and are
doubling down on the destruction of energy in America, our way of life and the Constitution.

The smelting plant has known
since 2010 this was coming. They couldn’t stop it and no one else rose up to stop it either. The business had been in production for 120 years and now goes the way of our auto industry.

The military’s obsession with
ammo was related to security and supply. They knew this was coming too, so they bought up all they could get before the plug was pulled. Screw the average American. It’s as Chris Muir said, he’s not as worried about where the bullets will come from, as much as how the government will deliver them and I’m right there with him on that one.

So, back door gun control is
moving forward and while we are all distracted with shiny stuff, our Second Amendment rights are just about gone. obama is one Marxist dictator who is savvy at political chess. He has flanked the Second Amendment. Now it’s our move.

You can Google this if you
don’t believe it, or read this article:

Long
term what this means: Your investment in ammo may be your best investment. Guns will be plentiful but ammo will be another story. How does $3.75 a round (that’s for one bullet) for a 9mm work for you? Box of 50 would only cost you $187.50

vanillagurilla
07-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Raahauges is kind of expensive, went last year for a friend's birthday.

Daryl
07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Raahauges is very expensive. But it's the only game in town for sporting clays, as far as I know. I pay 30 cents per target (with the red key), plus the cost of my ammo. I gave up on local BLM a while ago. I've seen way too many unsafe situations out there, especially in Perris on the weekends.

Daryl
07-10-2014, 04:13 PM
I would STRONGLY recommend transporting ANY firearm unloaded and separating the ammo from the firearm. Appearances will set the attitude if you happen to be stopped by law enforcement, if it appears as though you are acting in a safe responsible manner will generally keep you from unnecessary hassles.......

DR, cool video but one might construed that as unsafe gun play..........shooting from a moving private vessel, alcohol consumption, passing a"hot" firearm back and forth.......hmmm.......questionable, maybe.

Ammo is not required to be separated. As long as the loaded magazine is not inserted in the firearm, it's perfectly legal to have the magazine locked up in a container with the firearm.

Jbfish
07-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Hahahaha, yup, that pretty much covers it!!!.........DR, you always have the right video right on que.......well done....

jbfish, have you decided on a place to go?????

A buddy of mine shoots up in arrowhead!! so im probably gonna take a trip up there with him!!

Thanks for the responses guys!!!!

Nipple Twister
07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Ammo is not required to be separated. As long as the loaded magazine is not inserted in the firearm, it's perfectly legal to have the magazine locked up in a container with the firearm.

Yes Daryl, that is true. I was just making a recommendation, as previously stated it just shows responsibility to LEO.........

Nipple Twister
07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
A buddy of mine shoots up in arrowhead!! so im probably gonna take a trip up there with him!!

Thanks for the responses guys!!!!

Awesome Jbfish.........enjoy and let us know how it went........