PDA

View Full Version : The Worst (and Best) Fishing Trip of my Life!

ErikAllen17
06-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Now that I have a kayak, I was invited to go on a 5-day fishing trip up in Big Sur with some friends of mine. These guys have been doing this trip 1-2 times per year, every year for the past 10 years or so. I was invited way back in January and had planned to go since then. Unfortunately, money had gotten a little tight and I made the decision to bow out just weeks before the trip. the guys were bummed, but what can you do? About 6 days before they were going to leave, I tried shifting things around financially and thought I might be able to pull it off. I texted my friend and asked if I could still get in. He said sure and I said I would get back to him in a day or so. Well, the next day, my water pump on my car suddenly gave way and I was going to have to get it repaired ASAP. Well, there goes my Big Sur trip. After the truck was fixed, I let me buddy know I couldn't go. He was bummed again, but understood. I guess something was telling me I shouldn't go. Oh well, I had the time off anyway, might as well launch the yak out of Ventura anyway just to get some boat time in. My mom's birthday was 2 days before it was time to leave... at dinner, her and my dad find out that I wasn't able to go and said "We have a surprise for you... we would like to pay for your trip for your birthday." I should've been excited to go, but I kind of wasn't. They were shocked. I told them that I probably couldn't make it so close to the trip because the guys would've gotten food and such. Besides, I was also a little apprehensive because the guys had told me some shark tales from past trips. I know there are sharks there... Big Sur is just below what is known as the "Red Triangle". Out of the probably 25 trips those guys have made up there, they have had 3 occasions where they had seen a great white shark while fishing. Nothing threatening... but sightings within 100 yards of their boats. Enough to make you want to head for shore according to them.

I spent the night thinking about the trip and if I could actually go. I psyched myself back up to the idea and texted my buddy. He said I could still get in on the trip if I brought him the $400 that day before he hit the store. WOW... I could actually go. I hear it's beautiful, the fishing is off the hook and the "me" time was very attractive. So, I decided to go.

==================================
DAY 1 (June 5, 2014)
We left Newbury Park at 4am. The traffic was minimal, so we had breakfast in Cambria and then arrived at the campgrounds around 10am.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_00.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_01.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_02.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_03.jpg

I was pumped up as can be to start fishing... but it turns out that the guys never normally fish on arrival day. The water is usually pretty rough around 1pm and launching this late wouldn't be worth the paddle out. But one look at the water, how insanely calm it was, and a couple of the guys were in. We launched our yaks around noon and headed out about 2-3 miles to a place they affectionately called "Schling Rock". The guys have been doing this type of fishing for years, so it was easy for them. I personally have never fished for anything larger than a 16" BSP or maybe a legal halibut. Fishing for rockfish and lingcod was a much different experience for me. I ended up hooking up on several fish and lost them all. Either the fish unbuttoned or the line was cut off by some serious teeth! I did however, manage to reel in one ling... my first and personal best!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_04.jpg

We setup our fillet table in the mouth of the creek that leads to the ocean and everyone proceeded to fillet their catch. I was taught how to fillet rockfish for the first time ever as well. My friends are a great bunch of guys. We got cleaned up, made some dinner and sat around the fire and told lies about fishing earlier that day. This type of fishing was all new to me... it was a great end to a great day.

DAY 2 (June 6, 2014)
(Instead of a story, this is more of an account of the days experiences. The words below were written as soon as I hit land while everything was fresh in my mind. My apologies for any language that offends you)

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_13.jpg

It was Friday morning around 8:30am. The guys had already suited up and launched while I was "in the oval office". I finished up and ran back to camp and grabbed my stuff and suited up as fast as I could. Luckily one guy hadn't launched yet (Jon), so him and I launched and paddled out together. As I was paddling out, I commented how (a) it was kind of a "sharky" morning out and (b) how pissed I was that I forgot my GoPro cameras because I ran out to the shore so fast.

The paddle out to their secret fishing grounds is a little over 4 miles... which was NOT fun. By the time I got close, I was winded and my shoulder hurt like hell. Jon had a sizable lead on me and was at least 200+ yards ahead of me and was pretty close to the other guys. I noticed a sea lion swimming pretty quickly towards me from their direction. I thought that was weird but didn't think much of it as there are sea lions everywhere out here. I heard a small splash behind me and turned my head around to see what it was. All I saw was a HUGE dark grey spot and a dorsal fin about 4-5 feet behind my kayak. I whipped my head back to straight and said "oh f**k... please let that be a dolphin". I knew it wasn't a dolphin, but we had seen a pod of dolphins as we paddled back to shore last night... so in my mind, it totally could've been a dolphin. I turned back around and saw the tail fin as well the dorsal fin. By now, my heart sank because I knew it was a great white shark. It was huge... but I didn't know just HOW big it was until a few min later.

At this point, I thought I was f***ing dead. However, it didn't attack me or my boat. I figured it'd take a test bite out of my kayak to see what it was, thus knocking me off and then chewing on me to see what I was. I was screaming like a little girl inside, but on the outside, I collected myself and did what I had to do. This totally surprised the s**t out of me and the guys. Instead of freaking out, I calmly put my paddle on top of my head as to not to create shadows that looked like sea lion fins. I didn't scream, but instead loudly shouted to the guys "Help! Hey... um, help. I have a great white behind me." Even though the guys were a couple hundred yards away, I could hear them clearly say "Oh f**k!".

I turned back around and the shark's nose was now about 6" from the back of my kayak. Even though I wasn't paddling anymore, it somehow managed to stay right behind me and it was pacing me.

Now, I no longer thought I was going to be test bitten. I did however still think I was going to get bumped off. This went on for about a minute, even though it seemed like forever. Then I looked back again and noticed that now a second, smaller, great white shark was behind me as well. At this point I was like, "F**k... really???"

I loudly shouted to the guys "Uh... guys... there are 2 whites here now. Get the f**k over here please!!!" I looked to my right and noticed the bigger shark had moved right next to my kayak now. It's head was maybe 2-3" from the right edge of my yak... I could've put my hand 3" into the water and actually touched it's head. I saw every detail on it's skin. At this point, I was bracing for the shark to bump my kayak to see what I was. I imagined myself going in the water, throwing my paddle and climbing back in the kayak ASAFP. But it didn't do anything... it just sat there and stared at me with it's HUGE, all black eye for about another minute. It just hovered next to me... sizing me up and making sure I wasn't a threat. It's weird to say, but we shared a moment. We stared right into each others eyes... and then I literally told it, "I know this is your ocean and I respect you. Please leave me alone so I can see my family again." All I kept thinking about was my family.

About 15-20 seconds later, it decided to move on. As it swam up to the front end of my kayak, I looked back again because I wanted to see how big it was. It's nose was at the front and there was still several feet before the shark ended. Keep in mind, my kayak is almost 15' long. It looked like its tail was going to bump my kayak and I braced myself to be knocked off. The tail missed my kayak by millimeters and the only thing I felt was a little movement from the tail going into the water.

The guys shouted to me if they were gone? I didn't know and just kept saying "Just get the f**k over here!! Safety in numbers guys...". I needed to get close to them so we looked bigger than the shark in case they came back.

Later I found out that from their view, the shark was 20+ feet long and that the dorsal fin was taller than me when I was sitting in my kayak. The other shark was roughly a 12-14 footer too. Turns out that the smaller shark was the same shark that was chasing the sea lion I saw jumping away from the guys. Dave said the shark was chasing the sea lion, then turned and made a run at him. It dove down about 25 yards before his kayak. Scared the **** out of him too. I guess the smaller shark made the turn and joined the bigger shark at my kayak.

Even though that scared the living s**t out of me and Dave (and kind of the other guys too), we fished for several hours since we paddled all the way out there. I wanted to head in... but I certainly wasn't going to do the 4 mile paddle in alone. So we just stayed a lot closer to each other. I wouldn't let anyone go past 10 feet from me.

As I'm hooking up on fish, I was scanning the horizon instead of worrying about the fish on my hook. I lost lots of good fish, but I didn't care. About 2 hours later, Dave, Jon and I were fishing about 40 yards outside of the kelp stringers. I look over and see a fin again about 80-100 yards away. I tell Dave, "Are you kidding me... there they are again". He looks over and verifies it. We see the fins turn towards our direction and then the fins go under. That was our signal to get the f**k out of there. We bee-lined it for the kelp and made it there safely. We never saw the sharks again.

We started making our way back to shore, fishing along the way. Dave kept telling me to "Put that line in player"... but I wasn't having it. I was done fishing. My eyes were constantly scanning the horizon. If anything, they should've been thanking me for keeping a look out. I had my 7 fish... I was good.

We got on land and all I could do was lay on my back and make a sand angel. I shouted out "Anyone want to buy a kayak??" I was happy to be alive. All I could do was think of my babies, wife, mom, dad, brother, friends, etc and be thankful that I would be able to see all of you guys again.

As scary as that was... now that I'm OK, it was actually one if the most amazing experiences of my life. Sharks are one of my favorite things in the world. To have been that close to two of the top predators in the world, and in their environment and not in a cage was priceless

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_06.jpg
HAPPY as hell to be on dry land and to be alive!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_07.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_08.jpg
My stringer of fish... I could've easily hit limits, but I was too busy making sure no one would get eaten!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_09.jpg
Laughing about the days events... no lies today! No need to...

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_10.jpg
Displaying my HUGE Chucklehead... biggest one the guys have seen in a long time!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_11.jpg
Showing off our larger models...

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/BigSur_06-05-2014_12.jpg
Every day we came in, the fillet table drew a crowd of people

DAY 3, 4 & 5 (June 7, 8 & 9, 2014)
I spent the remaining days on dry land. I don't know if I'll ever go out on the ocean in my kayak again. I know that the chances of this happening again are insanely low... however, the chances of it ever happening in the first place were that low. I figure, why tempt fate even further. I lived to tell about the first experience... why take the chance? I'm pretty sure that my kayak will be up for sale in the next month or so... I'll stick to actual boats and the shore for now on.

Carptain_Bao
06-10-2014, 11:44 PM
wow all I wanted to say was that I am glad you made it back. It has be to some experience that you won't forget in your life time. I cannot imagine myself to be as calm as you were if I was put in that position!

bachiboy
06-11-2014, 12:54 AM
DUDE! The first time I saw a white, I was on a long range trip at Guadalupe Island and it swam right up to the rail of the BIG boat I was on directly in front of me. That made me uneasy...I couldn't imagine having your encounter. I'm surprised those guys chose to stay out there after that...a little "chancy" in my book. Glad you and the crew made it out of there safely. I know the odds are slim that it would've attacked, but there is always that chance when they are in the area and when it comes that close. Looks like you guys got to pull on some fish, but don't blame you for wanting to hock the yak. That would make most people do the same.

Great report and REALLY glad you were able to tell the tale!:Wink:
Don

exfactor
06-11-2014, 06:29 AM
I enjoyed reading your exerpts from this adventure, and glad that you pulled the trigger on venturing out to new places to fish. I am saddened that you got to experience
something truly special and amazing from our oceans, and didn't bring your camera to share this with your grand kids. I understand your fears for the unknown, but
please realize that this IS the reasons we go out on the water. i have caught many giants in my times out there, but the reasons that i go are to experience these
kinds of mysteries and events that so many others will never get an opportunity to do. I truly live for these kinds of moments in my life. We all can be taken in life
in innumerable ways at any moment, but to fear the unknown doesn't sit well with me, rather grasp these, and share them in your journey. get back out there in your yak
and grow from this. believe me, theres s much more for you to see! mikey

DockRat
06-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Very cool shark story. Thnx DR

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

ErikAllen17
06-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Mikey... I don't fear the unknown... that's the cool thing about the unknown, you don't know what to fear. I got to see this magnificent beast up close and WAAAAY too personal. It's no longer unknown anymore. As a marine bio major, I studied sharks in college. I know more about sharks than all of the 5 guys I was with combined. I actually am thankful that this happened to me instead of one of them because I at least knew what NOT to do. If any of my friends had this happen, the encounter could've gone sideways really fast.

I know that we can go at any moment. Driving to work, flying across country, being bit by a snake or spider. People have died from the strangest things... but I have stared death in the eye and it stared right back at me. It wasn't my time and for that I'm thankful. With a wife and 4 kids that rely on me being there every day, I just don't see the point of rolling those dice again and again to see if I meet up with the reaper this time. If I were single, I would probably go back out there. Definitely wouldn't go alone anymore... but I'd make it out there with some friends. But the fact that every time I talk about the ocean or fishing now, my wife starts crying then hugs me so hard because she is thankful I'm alive. I don't see myself being allowed to ever go out on my kayak again even if I wanted to. HAHAHA. Women.

I don't really care for freshwater fishing... I bought the yak for using just past the kelp stringers. If I were at a lake, like for camping, I would use it. I just wouldn't go out of my way to take it to a lake as opposed to being on the sea. That being said, I wouldn't use my kayak that often and would rather see someone else get some use out of it than have it rot in my garage.

HeadShakes
06-11-2014, 07:51 AM
I agree with exfactor. I too had too close of an encounter with a great white in Humboldt county on a surf board, all alone. Contemplated giving surfing up. That was 15 years ago, I can't imagine haven given away all the memories of surfing I've created since then. Please don't give up on that. Thanks allot for sharing with us!

Fishingdachronarch201E7
06-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Just read your report and holly smokes!!! crazy effn *****!!! glad everything turned out okay.WOW!!!!!!

tomar19
06-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Wow what an incredible experience for you and your friends. I read this last night before bed and I couldn't get the image of a huge fin behind the yak out of my head. You all made it home safe and got on some fish, so congrats on a successful trip. Kudos as well for applying what you know when panic could have ruled the day. I've seen many "experienced" motorcyclists end dicey situations badly by not applying their knowledge. I've had visions of taking my yak out past the break this summer, but after reading your report, it may take me a little longer to work up the nerve. I can definitely understand not wanting to tempt fate with that type of situation again.

Tony

TUNAVIC
06-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Man,that was quite a story,or I should say life experience, I can certainly understand your apprehension about going out there in a kayak,don't be surprised though as time goes buy you might change your mind, regardless thanks for the read it was very cool,glad you and your buddies are ok,oh yeah nice fish by the way!

Cya Tuna Vic

AngryMinnow
06-11-2014, 11:37 AM
What an experience! Sharks are so majestic because of the predator presence they exude. Glad you guys made it home safe and that you caught those nice fish. Thank you for sharing this experience it showed the other side of yak fishing that we rarely hear about. It had definitely opened my eyes as a noob to kayak fishing.

Brent
06-11-2014, 04:07 PM
I'm suprised that thing didn't bite your obviously insanely large "nads" hanging over the side of the yak.
Good lord guys, that is just freaking crazy. I would bet the adrinaline rush was the best high you've ever had. Staring death in the eye isn't easy.
"When death looks you in the eye, all you can do is stare back and smile" Maximus the "Gladiator"
Awesome report and fish story.

P.S. I'd sell that damn yak too after that....:EyePop:

Brent

bobabocker
06-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Well sir, congrats on an insanely epic encounter... looks like you got to fight some quality fish. Sorry that you were not able to enjoy the fishing as much after the fact. Here is to sticking to a boat that is too big for a shark to bump you off of, or the shore where we are the Apex mofos that can't be eaten (most of the time).

Jaysuuun
06-11-2014, 09:47 PM
What an awesome report! Wish you had your GoPro to record and share the experience. Don't know what I would've done if I was in the same situation. I think I would've made a bee-line for dry land on the FIRST encounter. And what's up with your boys? Sounds like they left you hangin or didn't take you seriously when you said you saw a shark the first time. LOL Glad you made it out of there okay in one piece.

I can understand why you would want to sell your yak after an experience like that, but I say hang on to it and let the nerves settle a bit. Perhaps the next time you do some open ocean fishing try going in large groups. Or if no one can join you keep it within the harbors or make it a freshwater trip. Would hate for you to miss out on future epic trips like you had that day.

This reminds of when I got into mountain biking. When I first got into it I heard reports of mountain lions mauling joggers and bikers on the trails. I did a lot of my biking alone late in the afternoon just before it got dark when lions are more likely to come out and feed. The thought frightened the crap out of me, but after awhile I stopped thinking about it. Rather I thought of what I would do should I encounter a lion. If I was zipping down hill, keep zipping down hill. If I was caught off guard keep the bike between myself and the lion back up make some noise. Or bike in large groups. Thinking of precautionary measures helped keep my mind at ease.

As for the actual fish report, those are some toad looking rockies! A linger is on my list of fish to catch on our yak. What a beautiful area and great pics. Hope to see more epic reports from you soon.

Jason

blakeb
06-11-2014, 10:46 PM
What's up brotha Ur still alive!!! I thought you died or something fell off the fishing world for a min. I say hold onto the yak for a while and ill take you to some sweet spots and maybe if you want to stay dry out on the boat the bite has been awesome and only is getting better!
Congrats on all the fish you got and glad you made it safe and are still alive brother.

Give me a call if shoot a text and we can get out there and slay!!!

basshole1
06-11-2014, 11:59 PM
WOW, your shark story was friggen intense!! My heart was pounding while reading about your experience. I have a very active lifestyle (backpacking, camping, hiking, etc.) and I have fears about encountering an apex predator in the wild. I can remember venturing alone on a back country trail in Alaska and all I could think about was bumping into a hungry Grizzly or a mother black bear with her cubs. Statistically, the odds of something like that even happening are EXTREMELY rare but the notion that it is even a possibility is both exhilarating and frightening at the same time. To have not one, but two, huge great whites literally inches away from you in the open water must have been absolutely mind blowing. Good move with the paddle above your head; knowing what to do in a circumstance like that is critical. Glad you made it back safely with the nice array of fish. Kudos to you.

jerryG
06-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Amazing.. Thanks for sharing your story.. About 5-6 years ago Toads Only (Jonathan) and I encountered a large great white while kayak fishing as well... It was calm summers day and we were fishing Paradise Cove in Malibu.. The water was warm and there was a strong presence of mini greenbacks, spanish macs, hook size smelt / grunion, and large schools of anchovies throughout the area but despite all the bait and good looking conditions the bite was dead.. After a slow morning we spotted a bird school far off in the distance to the south of us about a 1/2 a mile away.. We made a paddle for it and as we got closer we saw some big splashes which looked like a huge porpoise or small gray whale.. As we got closer (within about 50 yrds) a great white jumped out of the water in front of us (estimated size 12 to 15ft). We turned around and paddled North back to the area we came from.. Once we got there we continued fishing and did not see the shark again..

A couple days later I was on a kayak fishing board and someone had posted a link to a story about 2 stand up paddle boarders who were attacked by a great white in the area near Paradise Cove on the same day we were there fishing. When I saw the pictures of the victims I recognized them. They had paddled by us that morning and were headed in the direction where we saw the shark later that day.. They were not seriously injured but I have no doubt that the shark we saw was responsible for the attacks. Another friend encountered a larger great white then the one saw last year in Malibu..

I fear many things on the water and have a great respect for the sea and weather.. I fear the conditions the wind, large swells, and heavy currents. I don't kayak alone because anything can happen out there but when it comes to great whites I personally refuse to live in fear of any fish. I sure don't want to end up going out like Snuffy but its a chance I am willing to take to be out there on the water..

JerryG

DockRat
06-12-2014, 06:47 AM
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/battdog1/Jaws.gif
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa7/eh219/Pics%20NOT%20to%20Move/Shark-1.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/battdog1/media/Jaws.gif.html)

Makes you think about hanging fish on a stringer in the water off your yak ?

Maybe consider painting the bottom of your yak light blue. Then paint a big seal on the bottom.
Your going to need some heavy gear and lots of chum. Lol.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z18/tomgschmidt/Itsakeeper_spinner1_080908.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/tomgschmidt/media/Itsakeeper_spinner1_080908.jpg.html)

ErikAllen17
06-12-2014, 01:47 PM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa7/eh219/Pics%20NOT%20to%20Move/Shark-1.jpg

That's probably about the appropriate ratio of shark to yak... except my yak is bigger than that one. On a side note... I had a great conversation with Ralph Collier yesterday regarding the sighting. He personally called me because the fact that there were two large sharks within about 10-15 feet of each other. He said this is VERY unusual behavior for a white because they're mainly loner sharks.

I've been texting back and forth with Jim Sammons regarding getting back out on the water. For those of you into kayak fishing... you know this guy is a kayak fishing GOD! He practically invented the sport.... he certainly brought it to the everyday angler! It's been cool having him as my "yak therapist"... maybe he can talk some sense in me and get me back out on my yak into the ocean.

ErikAllen17
06-12-2014, 01:51 PM
... 2 stand up paddle boarders who were attacked by a great white in the area near Paradise Cove ...

That's discouraging... this is one of the places I would be taking my kayak to fish. Not only is it kind of close to my house, but they have killer kelp stringers out there as well as one of my friend's parents live right on the sand at Escondido Beach. Myabe have to rethink this location then and stick to the sand. A great white killed a kayaker here in 1989... Paradise Cove.

ErikAllen17
06-12-2014, 01:53 PM
What's up brotha Ur still alive!!! I thought you died or something fell off the fishing world for a min. I say hold onto the yak for a while and ill take you to some sweet spots and maybe if you want to stay dry out on the boat the bite has been awesome and only is getting better!
Congrats on all the fish you got and glad you made it safe and are still alive brother.

Give me a call if shoot a text and we can get out there and slay!!!

I did figure out how to curb my sea sickness while using my kayak... so I can go out with you guys whenever you have the room. Just let me know at least 24 hours in advance to load up on meds and I 'll be there! Itching to try out my new 2-speed with 85lb Spider Wire braid on it!!!!

tamddo714
06-12-2014, 04:00 PM
awesome report and story. glad you're safe. are you going next year again?

bassmeister
06-12-2014, 06:13 PM
dayuuuum tax man was trying to tax you!!!!! If I was on your yak at that moment the tax man showed up your yak seat would have a permanent balloon knot imprinted in it.
But those taco fillers sure looks yummy and the scenery was second to none.

troutdog
06-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Awesome report, what an experience....congrats on an amazing trip!

TD