PDA

View Full Version : 2 rod permit

Des the trout killa
06-10-2014, 12:08 PM
If I am under 16 and I want to fish with another rod do I have to get a 2 rod stamp?

tommibear
06-10-2014, 12:35 PM
That is a very good question!!

The DFG regulations aren't too clear about this issue... (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html)

At first glance, the answer to your question is "yes", since the DFG regs states that for the "Second Rod Validation is required for all persons taking fish with two rods or lines in inland waters, except for waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used."

HOWEVER; what do they mean by "ALL"?!? If you read the description for "Ocean Enhancement Validation", it states that "Required for ALL persons taking fish in ocean waters south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County)....."

Does that mean that if you are under 16, if you want to fish on any beach (south of Santa Barbara), you will need an Ocean Enhancement stamp?!? I doubt that was their intention.

Maybe since you are under 16 and fishing for "free", you are not permitted to use a second rod?

I recommend you email the DFG people and get something in writing and keep the email in your possession when you fish.

Highsierraslayer
06-10-2014, 04:52 PM
No, you are not required to have a license nor the validation, Per Fish and Game Code section 7145(a).

fishingboysdad
06-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I was fishing at castaic with 4 poles.2 for me and 2 for my son(11 yrs old). DFW wardens came by and checked my license and asked which poles were mine(notice they didn't ask which 2 were mine).I pointed to my 2 poles and they said "o.k. goodluck)...they have never said anything about him only being allowed one pole

tommibear
06-10-2014, 07:04 PM
No, you are not required to have a license nor the validation, Per Fish and Game Code section 7145(a).

Okay... found the answer in the 2014-2014 CA DFG Freshwater regs...

Page 14...

2.0 Fishing Methods--General

".... Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters....."

Kojak5150
06-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the find.... I have wondered that myself. I have a 2 rod stamp, but my 11 year old has nothing... So now I know I am legal.

MikesOcean
06-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Does that mean under 16 they don't enforce other fishing laws because the minor does not need a license?

What if that minor has kept an over limit of fish? Or he was fly lining a bluegill? What they just slap his hand?

Makes me wonder when I see a bunch of poachers with kids if that's supposedly there loophole?

Regardless, if a warden gave a kid using 2 poles a ticket that would be lame. But cuff that kid if he's fly lining a bluegill cuz
That wouldn't be fair that I couldn't. lol

RTG
07-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Does that mean under 16 they don't enforce other fishing laws because the minor does not need a license?

What if that minor has kept an over limit of fish? Or he was fly lining a bluegill? What they just slap his hand?

Makes me wonder when I see a bunch of poachers with kids if that's supposedly there loophole?

Regardless, if a warden gave a kid using 2 poles a ticket that would be lame. But cuff that kid if he's fly lining a bluegill cuz
That wouldn't be fair that I couldn't. lol
Anyone under 16 years of age can fish without a license, or any validations but must abide by all the other fishing regs; bag and possession limits, gear restrictions, size limits, etc.