PDA

View Full Version : second time out with my LC. good news and bad news!!!

badnews
06-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Air temp 70°
Water temp 60°
Clear skies
Clear water with sand in the surf area
Tide was incoming

After skunking out a couple days ago, I decided to go to a different beach today to try my luck. After getting to my AO, I spotted a couple rocks about 50 yards in the surf. I was kinda iffy about casting an LC into the rocks but I decided to go for it. After my third cast, I felt a strong nibble. I set the hook and off we went. ..

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s517/shadybadnews/Mobile%20Uploads/20140606_114855.jpg

Second cast after that, I LOST MY LC!!!!!! I was heart broken !! :Crying: it got caught in the kelp about 20 yards out!

Got out my tackle box, put on a bait hook #4 and some Big Hammer grubs on a Carolina rig. I felt a STRONG tug and I my anger about losing my LC was gone!! I pulled and I pulled....

And I caught this.......... seriosly..... I wish I was kidding... :EyePop:
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s517/shadybadnews/Mobile%20Uploads/20140606_122415.jpg

After that catch, I want getting anything. I was losing bait in the kelp. After an hour of no bites, I decided to pack up and go home.

AngryMinnow
06-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Sorry about your LC Badnews. Nice perch though I hope you have a better outing next time!

HeadShakes
06-06-2014, 04:32 PM
I guess you picked the right name for yourself...lol, it's all good man. I'll send you a pm in a couple weeks, you can come fishing w me if you want. I usually go solo and could use the company.

Thanks again for the report, and good job with your first fish on the LC!!

benichi
06-06-2014, 04:38 PM
hey is that your first surf fish.. dont they fight... sucks you lost the lc but awesome you caught a BSP.. that is not a bad one either..

badnews
06-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks angryminnow. Hopefully this will come as a learning experience on where to cast an LC

That sounds good headshakes. Where do you go fishing?

Benichi, no its not my first surf fish nor my first perch. It is however the my personal best surf perch. When I bought my LC, the store owner was telling me not to expect to catch more fish my an LC but rather to expect to catch bigger fish. Quality over quantity. My first surf catch was a white croaker, then a small leopard shark. After that, I've been catching surf perch but nothing really to brag about. They have probably measured 6 inches at most!

HeadShakes
06-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I have been fishing newport allot lately, but there are a couple other spots I would like to hit up south of there I hope!

benichi
06-06-2014, 05:32 PM
man I have never caught a shark... lucky...

basshole1
06-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Right on badnews, congrats on your perch!!

Wingnut
06-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Bummer about the LC, been there... done that. :Neutral:
Every session is a learning experience, keep it up. :Cool:

bachiboy
06-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Nice going on that BSP on the LC. I may not be an expert at this game, but the over the last couple of years, I was EXTREMELY proficient at losing LCs.:Rolls Eyes: A lot of that had to do with fishing around structure...cuz that's where the fish are. Fishing around rocks and kelp is definitely risky, but the rewards can be amazing. I've done a lot better about not losing $20 bills this year. One thing I can tell you is when you are hung on kelp, be patient. Don't just crank down the drag and start walking backward. Pull the line tight and wait, especially if you have a decent surge going, which will help. Eventually the hooks might rip out of the kelp or the kelp strand your hooked to will break off. It takes some time, maybe couple seconds, maybe a minute or so, but I've saved a few lures that way. Hope that helps!:Wink:

Don

badnews
06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys.

Bachiboy, where were you a couple days ago? Lol I could have used your help then. It did seem like it was really stuck tho. I tried to keep my line tight hoping waves would know it off but after trying for 15 minutes, my line finally snapped. I tried cranking down on the drag hoping some added strength would help free my LC

bachiboy
06-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Thanks guys.

Bachiboy, where were you a couple days ago? Lol I could have used your help then. It did seem like it was really stuck tho. I tried to keep my line tight hoping waves would know it off but after trying for 15 minutes, my line finally snapped. I tried cranking down on the drag hoping some added strength would help free my LC

Well, it doesn't always work, especially if you're rocked or in the thick part of the kelp. After fifteen minthes I'd say that you definitely gave it a good try but Poseidon wanted his offering and wasn't gonna give it back.:Wink: Hope that bit helps in the future though.