PDA

View Full Version : Granny Gets Hooked - Fishing Cabo

Granny Fish
10-01-2007, 03:32 PM
We just returned from fishing San Jose del Cabo. We stayed the weekend at the Presidente Intercontintal, two days of panga fishing out of La Playita - cocktails and fun at the swim up bar - great food - great company and lots of big fish - What a BLAST!

This was a weekend of firsts for both my husband and me.

This being our first time doing this type of fishing, I felt like a wide-eyed child. Would I be able to communicate with the pangadero? Would I be able to reel in my catch? Would I be able to stay in the boat?

I never used a conventional reel before, and as easy as it looked, I wondered if I would know how to set the drags right or if I would be able to keep from ending up with a tangled mess in my hands.

My concerns were quickly relieved once out on the water. The pangadero quickly went to work getting our lines in the water and almost immediately we have a double hook up on Wahoo. Unfortunately, the fish weren't boated, a combination of our newbiness and their sharp teeth cutting right through the line. I wasn't quite so disappointed once I heard that a few others had the same problem, even using steel leaders.

Next hook up, my reel screams and I see a dorado leap four feet out of the water about 50 yards off the back of the boat and the fight is on. I was amazed as I watched the dorado swimming up around the boat to catch the chum we were throwing off the side. At least five bull dorado were swarming the boat at top water. I've seen pictures of this, but that day I experienced it and what an awesome sight it was! I boat the dorado with help from the pandadero and its a beautiful bull about 20#. This is probably one of the biggest fish I have ever caught up to now. I was very pleased and thought to myself "how much better could fishing be?" My husband would catch one the next day at least 30#.

A few hours on the water in the heat and humidity, a fish hold full of dorado and now, a full bladder, I'm suddenly anxious to get in. I begin to wonder how everyone else's fishing went and what was caught. We arrive back to find tables full of mostly dorado, a few tuna and someone caught a 300 black marlin! We all stand around talking about fishing and taking pictures while our fish was filleted for us. I loved watching all the activity and the quick work the men made of the filleting process. Everyone eating fresh fish, drinking beer, telling fish stories of the one that got away and other soaking in the glory of the best catches of their life. Two of the highlights of the first day was Duc's wife's catch of a large wahoo that I didn't get to see and a couple of marlin caught that day. Seeing that marlin up close was a sight to behold. What a beautiful animal!

Back at the hotel, after getting cleaned up its cocktails in the pool at the swim up bar. Everyone is excited about the day, more fishing talk, joking around, playing volleyball and fun times. Everyone is anxious for the next day of fishing. Some of us went in to town for the night and the rest of us hit the sack early. 5 AM seemed to be only a moment away!

Next morning, getting on the pangas was more organized; everyone already knew which pangadero they would fish with and where to meet. It was WFO on dorado and tuna. The skipjack seem to be plaguing everyone. Our pangadero spots a marlin on top water. He starts chumming and circles around as we troll our live sardina.

Unfortunately no marlin strikes so we settle down for some drift fishing and I get my first yellow fin tuna within minutes. Even though it wasn't huge, maybe about 15# I was happy to get my first tuna reeled in, especially after reeling in eight skippies just before that. My arm was cramping up pretty bad, but there would be time to complain later. I just wanted to catch fish.

Back at the hotel... more fun and stories at the pool bar.

The weekend ended all too soon. Unfortunately; I realized about an hour before leaving that I was missing my camera with all the pictures of the weekend. I'm disappointed that I have no pictures of our first dorado, my first yellow fin or the beautiful sunrise on the first day. Those memories will live forever in my mind. I can hardly wait to go back and do it all again!

Synopsis:
First day 4 dorado up to 25#
Second day 15 dorado up to 30 plus pounds, 10 skipjack, 1 smaller variety yellow fin tuna.

Funjunkie74
10-01-2007, 03:53 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Say it isn't so!! You lost the camera?!?! Are you sure it's not tucked away in the cooler underneath all the fish?!?!

Great report!!
I hope you find your camera but at least you have the memories!!

I've been reading spots of reports here and there from you guys and I am total STOKED!! Sounds like the weather cooperated, the fish cooperated and most of all fun times all around!!

I'll be going this weekend to Cabo to clean up your mess and beat the Marlin Tournament peeps!!

Can't wait to see everyone's reports and pics!!

FJ74

Granny Fish
10-01-2007, 03:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Say it isn't so!! You lost the camera?!?! Are you sure it's not tucked away in the cooler underneath all the fish?!?!

I'm afraid it is gone forever. :(
But - others have some photos that will be posted later. Even a video of me eating the heart of my first tuna. :wink:

Good luck on your marlin adventure. Next year I will be prepared for a marlin. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rich and Noah
10-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Can't beat the warm water. I'm ready to go back. Nice report.

sansou
10-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Granny,

Losing the camera: I do believe you have the perfect excuse to go back next year!

Glad to hear you had an excellent fishing adventure!

Troutman65
10-01-2007, 04:52 PM
RIGHT ON GRANNY FISH and MIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Great report !!!!!!!! Sorry you lost your camera. I hope others have some photos of you and Mike with your fish.

Glad you had fun catching your first big saltwater fishes !!!!

Troutman65

Granny Fish
10-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Sansou: I was thinking it was the perfect reason why I need to go back next month! :wink:

TM65: I don't think anyone else got any pictures of us with our fish. Unfortunately, only bribe pictures :cry: There will be other big fish. This is only the beginning! At least I didn't need to be fished out of the drink this time. :lol:

R&N: I'm with you!

bruce watson
10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I think Frank has more than a few pictures of you. Congrats on all the fish. Are you going back next year?

one_leg
10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
That reminds me, I hope Barbiegirl has my camera?

Nice report, but I would not have had to be pushed in. :wink:

One_Leg

Granny Fish
10-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Nice report, but I would not have had to be pushed in. :wink:

One_Leg

You know if I had a chance you would have went in the drink. Pay back.... you know?

Bruce - You're correct. Unfortunately, many are not fit for family viewing. :oops:

bruce watson
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Did you call the hotel and see if your camera was left in your room. That group you were with is big business for the hotel. I'm sure that they want to keep them coming back year after year. Call their lost and found.

ahhvtec
10-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear that you had lost your camera but yes I did get a vid of you eating the heart of your first Tuna. Congrats once again and it was a pleasure to have you come this year and Mike is a super guy!

Duc

Fisherman57
10-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Very cool stuff G-Fish..... sounds like a great time!
Congrats on ALL of your fish!

I an VERY envious and want to go next year for sure!

Looking foward to seeing a few pics from others and sorry about your camera....... maybe we'll see the pics on TMZ soon! LOL! :wink:

Dana

ahhvtec
10-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Tammy getting down on her Tuna heart!
[url=http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Cabo%2007/Duc/?action=view&current=MOV00094.flv:ec876]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Cabo%2007/Duc/th_MOV00094.jpg[/url:ec876]

onemorcast
10-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Tammy, it was an absolute pleasure hanging with you and Mike. Sorry to hear you lost your camera. I may have lost all my pics as well, due to the card in my camera asking to be reformatted. The photo place sent it to some lab for attempted retrieval. That video of you eating the heart is pretty crazy.

Scott Jr.

one_leg
10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Another classic Grannyfish moment. I bet it's one you never forget.

One_Leg

Funjunkie74
10-02-2007, 09:17 AM
SUWEEEEEET!!!
She even took TWO BITES instead of wimping out and trying to swallow it whole!! DANG GIRL!! YOU FO REALZ!!

Standing ovation! :appl:

FJ74 :twisted:

farmacist
10-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Granny, you're an animal!!! :D

Granny Fish
10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Tammy getting down on her Tuna heart!
[url=http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Cabo%2007/Duc/?action=view&current=MOV00094.flv:44983]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Cabo%2007/Duc/th_MOV00094.jpg[/url:44983]

Thanks Duc!

That was tasty - I was looking for more! :lol:

10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Great report Tammy and mike. Sorry to hear about the loss of your camera that sucks. We really enjoyed your company and can't wait to go back next year. I think I got 4 hours sleep the whole trip...

~JoMama~
10-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Granny ... as always ... I bow before you!!!

So glad to read your trip was great ... except for the loss of your camera.

Many hugs dear friend!!!

:lol:

bruce watson
10-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Granny, you got the guts. No, I mean that, really, you gut the guts, then ate them.

one_leg
10-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I like the way she kisses Grampafish immediately afterwords.

One_Leg

Granny Fish
10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I was expecting it to be really bloody and chewing. It was tender and tasted just like sashimi!

olfishergal
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
So glad you and Mike had such a good time down there......(uhhhh I do mean fishing) Sorry bout the camera......I am saving my $$$ for next year......c u soon OFG

Granny Fish
10-02-2007, 07:09 PM
So glad you and Mike had such a good time down there......(uhhhh I do mean fishing) Sorry bout the camera......I am saving my $$$ for next year......c u soon OFG

YES - You have to be there! CABO '08

I got some good news today when I returned to work. I was called in the office for a meeting with the boss. I'm thinking, oh no, what did I forget about before I left on vacation? But he wanted to tell me I was getting promoted. I came back to a 6K a year raise! I think I need to go back to Cabo and celebrate. :lol:

Troutman65
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM

YES - You have to be there! CABO '08

I got some good news today when I returned to work. I was called in the office for a meeting with the boss. I'm thinking, oh no, what did I forget about before I left on vacation? But he wanted to tell me I was getting promoted. I came back to a 6K a year raise! I think I need to go back to Cabo and celebrate. :lol:

Sweet. Congrats to you on your raise. Thats way cool.

Troutman65

Fisher-of-Men
10-03-2007, 07:47 AM
The report sounded great! The video clip was something else as well! :lol:

Thanks for sharing!

Fisher-of-Men

CASTAWAY
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Sorry you don't have a picture of your first yellow fin.
Excellent report G-Fish. :thumb:

Nessie Hunter
10-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Tammy, congrats on the raise & promotion.. :thumb: :thumb: :group:

Now I suppose your freakin boss wants to go in 08???????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

troutdog
10-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Sounds like you had a well desrved great trip...Baja fishing is amazing, glad you had a chance to go!

TD