PDA

View Full Version : 6/4 My first time out surf fishing

AngryMinnow
06-05-2014, 05:39 AM
Since I surf almost everyday after work I decided to start doing some research on surf fishing because more often then not the waves aren't good and I'm stuck with the rest of the day ahead of me (I work graveyard). All I have in my tackle box is bass baits and trout lures so I went down to Wal-mart and bought a pack of the Berkley 6" sandworms and headed down to Newport. I honestly didn't think I'd catch anything because I'm used to going to Puddingstone and not even catching a buzz haha. I ended having a great day catching 5 perch and 2 of them were a real good size, I released all the fish I caught and was able to get some strangers to take a few pictures of the fish and I. My next goal is to buy a taller pole because I was using a 6' ugly stick and wasn't casting to far, also the waves would wash up my rig real fast so maybe I needed a bit heavier weight. All in all I had fun and I'm definitely going out again soon.
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/lopezaldana7/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/IMG950869_zpsc9tdhneo.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/lopezaldana7/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/IMG950869_zpsc9tdhneo.jpg.html)
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/lopezaldana7/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/IMG_4586_zpsq6mswmhh.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/lopezaldana7/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/IMG_4586_zpsq6mswmhh.jpg.html)

remington
06-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Nice job on your very 1st surf fishing outing! Believe it or not a lot of fish are feeding on sand crabs right now very tight to the beach, in the skinny water. You don't need to cast very far, just be in the zone where the fish are feeding. I would recommend bringing a hat the next time you hit the beach. Place your reel inside your hat on the beach when you take photos of your fish & this will prevent any sand getting in your reel. Sand & reels is not a good thing.

Looking forward to your next report!

Kelly

AngryMinnow
06-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Nice job on your very 1st surf fishing outing! Believe it or not a lot of fish are feeding on sand crabs right now very tight to the beach, in the skinny water. You don't need to cast very far, just be in the zone where the fish are feeding. I would recommend bringing a hat the next time you hit the beach. Place your reel inside your hat on the beach when you take photos of your fish & this will prevent any sand getting in your reel. Sand & reels is not a good thing.

Looking forward to your next report!

Kelly

Thanks for the advice Remington! Lesson learned sir I spent about a half hour cleaning out my reel and getting it smooth again. I am going to buy another pole though specifically for surf fishing and keep my ugly stick for freshwater. I can't stop thinking about it and can't wait to go back out.

bachiboy
06-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Nice goin on getting some fish on your first go at the surf. Like Kelly said, don't need to cast real far for perch and corbina. Your rig is gonna wash in a bit no matter what, unless you use heavy pyramid sinkers, but you kinda want it to. Just don't let too much slack in your line so that you keep in contact with your bait when you get hit. :Wink:

Congrats!!!
Don

SP Dan
06-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Congrat's on a memorable first session and welcome to our addiction!

SP Dan <"))><

yakfish51
06-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Great job angry minnow!

Tim

Wingnut
06-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Awesome! :Big Grin:
I remember the very first time I hit the surf... we caught a bunch of Perch that day and I was hooked. :Razz:
Welcome to the "Addiction." :Wink:

basshole1
06-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Hey AngryMinnow, congrats on your first fish. I bet it felt great. Just to elaborate on what Remington said, avoid sand at all costs!!! SAND = :Head Bang: Great job and looking forward to future reports!! :Thumbs Up:

AngryMinnow
06-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Congrat's on a memorable first session and welcome to our addiction!

SP Dan <"))><
Thank you Dan! I haven't stopped thinking about surf fishing since that day. Going out tomorrow and Sunday as well!

Great job angry minnow!

Tim
Thank you Tim!

Nice goin on getting some fish on your first go at the surf. Like Kelly said, don't need to cast real far for perch and corbina. Your rig is gonna wash in a bit no matter what, unless you use heavy pyramid sinkers, but you kinda want it to. Just don't let too much slack in your line so that you keep in contact with your bait when you get hit. :Wink:

Congrats!!!
Don
Thank you Don! I'm glad I caught some fish since I've been researching and doing some recon I'm glad it paid off. Going to keep on researching techniques and gear as well to help better my chances.

Awesome! :Big Grin:
I remember the very first time I hit the surf... we caught a bunch of Perch that day and I was hooked. :Razz:
Welcome to the "Addiction." :Wink:
Thank you Wingnut! I must say I've been following this forum for a little under a year and you are definitely one of the anglers I look up to. I am already addicted I have been doing nothing but research on baits, locations, species to look for. I cant wait to catch my first halibut.

Hey AngryMinnow, congrats on your first fish. I bet it felt great. Just to elaborate on what Remington said, avoid sand at all costs!!! SAND = :Head Bang: Great job and looking forward to future reports!! :Thumbs Up:
Thank you basshole1! I can't describe the excitement and satisfaction I got from catching those fish since I put in a lot time reading and informing myself about surf fishing. I did learn my lesson with the sand in the reel took about half hour to get it smooth again. I hope I can improve myself and provide some exciting reports for FNN.

murrieta angler
06-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks for sharing your new hobby with us...:Cool: :Big Grin:
Robert
<><