PDA

View Full Version : davies boat rental Newport??

perch
06-04-2014, 09:52 AM
hey i was just wondering if any of you have ever rented a skiff/boat at Davies at Newport harbor? If you have how were the boats and do you know if they have life jackets and a anchor or do you just bring your own? do you think its worth the money to fish from one or would it be better to just shore fish? any info would be great thanks and good luck fishing

Mike_Aye
06-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Boat rentals at Davies are always fun. Even better when the bait barge has bait. They give you a free packet of squid which works well. They provide the life jackets and anchor (but the anchor line can be reallllllly short and does not stick to the ground at all, on windy days or when their is a lot of current. It's definitely worth it for an all day thing, you can jig it on all the many docks, or fish by the jetties, you can go just about anywhere in the harbor. To be comfortable fishing, I would only bring a maximum of 3 people on the 14 foot skiff.

The only thing I would do differently next time, is bring more rope, and maybe a ten pound weight (or ten pound anchor), to attach to their anchor, because we kept drifting all day and it was kind of a hassle at times.

Also, shore fishing is fun in the harbor, but when you have a boat, you can go anywhere and access spots you can't from shore. Look for coupons on their website to get a discount

Hope this helps

perch
06-04-2014, 10:27 AM
hey thanks alot for the info i really appreicate it. im seriously thinking about renting one when i get out there for a day if everything works out. thank you perch