PDA

View Full Version : Bass Ingesting Plastics - don't throw them overboard

SurfCityUSA
06-02-2014, 12:05 PM
At our last trip to DVL we caught a lot of fish and released them all except for one 2lb that bled out. Upon cleaning, I found a 4 inch Senko in his belly broken into 3 pieces and pretty slimy. Seemed like it had been their a while. Not sure if this fish was going to pass it through or not. He was healthy and a full fighter but it got me to thinking about bass ingesting plastics and I found this article. We always toss our spent plastics in the on board trash just because we don't litter but I think I might start picking up plastics I see in sticks, weed, etc.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/dont-discard-soft-plastics-they-can-kill

SurfCityUSA

carpanglerdude
06-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Good advice, thanks!

GhettoBasster
06-11-2014, 09:40 PM
At our last trip to DVL we caught a lot of fish and released them all except for one 2lb that bled out. Upon cleaning, I found a 4 inch Senko in his belly broken into 3 pieces and pretty slimy. Seemed like it had been their a while. Not sure if this fish was going to pass it through or not. He was healthy and a full fighter but it got me to thinking about bass ingesting plastics and I found this article. We always toss our spent plastics in the on board trash just because we don't litter but I think I might start picking up plastics I see in sticks, weed, etc.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/dont-discard-soft-plastics-they-can-kill

SurfCityUSA

That's great info. I've read other accounts of this and have avoided letting plastics loose into water ever since.

vampirebret
06-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Funny thing is, I saw the exact same thing when I was fishing for bass in Fresno County too. Almost all the bass I caught that day had broken, and old senko worms in their throat and still managed to take mine as well. So after I undo my hook, I also took out the old broken senko and tossed it into my boat so I can trash it. I thought that was odd as well.

basshole1
06-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Great stuff. We fisherman should be the agents of conservation in order to protect nature, which is the basis of our beloved sport of fishing. Thanks for the link and post.

DEVOREFLYER
06-12-2014, 07:13 AM
I use a bottle of "Mend It" to weld/glue any plastic baits that are torn or damaged. My former business partner in So Carolina saves all of his damaged plastics and melts and casts them in molds to make new baits.