PDA

View Full Version : NPH 5/31 and 6/1

The_Dude
06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Hit up Benichi for our weekend outing to our home harbor before we make our San Diego trip. Benichi tells me he has been scoping a new spot that looks promising so I said let's go.

5/31
Got to the spot at 5 am to catch the low before it started to transition into the high. The area we were fishing was only possible to fish during a low.

I set up a T rig with a big hammer on it and benichi starts throwing a lead head BH. right off the bat Benjchi is on it. Every dock he hits he is slamming them. Just one right after another. Myself I am struggling. Getting bit here and there but missing the hook set. I finally end up landing a decent sized spotty. The rest of the day was pretty much watching benichi land fish after fish lol.

I didn't take any pics of his catches but he ended up with 14 for the day with almost every single one of them being between 13 and 16 inches. We definitely found the piggy hole.

6/1
After our outing the day before we decide we will definitely be making another run at it on Sunday. This time we try a new spot a little further up the road from where we were on Saturday. As we found the piggy hole the day before we managed to find a desolate area with just no fish, no eel grass and docks sitting on the ground from the low tide. We casted for about an hour before I made the suggestion that we head back to the honey hole to see what we can get into. We pack it up and head down the road.

Got back to the spot and started fishing. Right off the bat benichi is in full catch mode and picking them off dock after dock. I decided that today I would forgo the Texas rig and go back to lead heads. What a great choice. Throw on a lead head with my favorite color big hammer and second cast in I get nailed hard. This guy was definitely a fighter as he pulled some line. With the way he was fighting I knew it wasn't a bat ray and didn't feel like a typical bass. As I see color I realize I have a decent sized halibut on my line. Get him into shore and tape him out at 21 inches. Dang it almost had my first legal of the year. After a pic he went back into the water to grow some more.

Fished for another three hours hitting dock after dock. Towards the end of the session I get hit hard again. Let him set the hook on his own and realized it was another nice fighter. Knew this was a bass by the fight. Got him to shore and saw it was a nice 14 1/2 inch sand bass. After that I got one more smaller spotty while benichi ended up with another 9 for the day.

Enjoy the pics. Also got a cool pic of a fat sea lion that was sunning himself on one of the docks. He was by far one of the coolest animals I have seen up close.

benichi
06-02-2014, 10:12 AM
nice report , man that was fun. already want to go again next week... great job on that hali... I have to say it is a blast out there them spotties are so much fun to catch ...

The_Dude
06-02-2014, 10:16 AM
nice report , man that was fun. already want to go again next week... great job on that hali... I have to say it is a blast out there them spotties are so much fun to catch ...

hahahaha I am already looking towards next weekend to see what we can get into.

tomar19
06-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Nice report, and good job finding those piggys. Getting pretty close with that hali, the legal shouldn't be too far behind.

Tony

bachiboy
06-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Great report and nice going on the spots, sandy and flatties. Remember that ol' adage "don't leave fish to find fish"? Guess it applied here.:LOL::Wink: Always fun to go lookin around though. Way to regroup and continue the slayage guys!

Don

perch
06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
hey thanks for the report and pictures. looks like a great day fishing with a friend and lots of FISH ON action thanks for sharing with us:Thumbs Up:

murrieta angler
06-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Sounds like you two had a great two days of fishing!
Thanks for sharing Dude.
Robert
<><