PDA

View Full Version : Long beach outside breakwater and island fishing harbor

JL
05-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Been quite a while since my wife and I went out of Davys Launch in Long beach. Our son lives in San Juan Capistrano and continues to pressure us to fish out of Dana Point so he can bike down to the harbor and jump on the boat. Also takes our beautiful granddaughters.

However we have been skunked lately out of Dana so My wife and I said it was time we kicked back and fished the long beach harbor.
Arrived about 8 am today Saturday. Lots of big trailers in the parking lot so I figured a bunch had gone out to Catalina Island for the White Sea Bass and Yellow tail. At our age we don't make that trip on our 22 footer T top anymore.

We headed for Nacho to get bait. All out ---but would have anchovies again at 11:30 am. So we took our plastics and some left over frozen squid and headed out side the wall. Depth 30 feet- quiet water- water temp 66.5.

Hit some small rock bass, 3 short Calicos and 15 large mackerel. Also a blue fish that had carp looking scales but we did not know what it was.

Headed back in at 12 noon to get Anchovies. Lively but had to hunt around in the bait tank for the larger ones. Not bad 2 - 5 inch

We have Drifted several times in past years in search of Halibut but never any real action.
On Nachos recommendation we did hit the south side of one of the Oil Rig Islands. Water choppy --- Temp 68.7 degrees. drifted down the south end using the engine to keep us about 40 feet off shore and out of the kelp.. First pass 20 inch Halibut and 20 inch Rock fish ( gopher fish) Second pass 18 inch Halibut, and my wife caught small sand bass, Third Pass 15 inch Halibut and last pass 15 inch Halibut. If was a great day on the water. Tight Lines and God Bless you all.

DockRat
06-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Good job getting out to LB.
Thanks for the post.
DR