PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Striper limits Friday May 30th

MikesOcean
05-31-2014, 01:39 PM
I hit up castaic on Friday May 30th with my buddy Mike (fishingvato) who lives down the street from me.

My game plan was to go out and have a great time, make sure the boat runs good, and have fun learning my new trolling motor and hopefully put a hurting on Mr. Striper while I'm out there.

We were first to launch and started trolling the marina some big swim baits for about 30 min with the new TM. It was awesome to be able to lock in with cruise control 1.0 mph where my outboard could have never maintained that low of speed. What was even more exciting was to see a real quick site of schoolies splashing on the surface for just a short time in the marina.

After 30 min with no success trolling big swimbaits , it was off to the usual trolling. After 10 min I had boated 2 fish thinking it would be quick limits. Well that was not the case for us. It was a couple hours before we scratched another fish. I was metering very little activity in the morning and when I did meter, we kept getting short bit. Between that, and the low water levels I felt like I was at a lake I never been too. Structure was soo different that it was like being at a lake for the first time trying to learn it.

I kept telling my friend that I felt the fish are gonna get active after 1 pm. I was right on target. That's about when we found a bank with all the bait and fish pushing them up to it. It did not go WFO. We only had one double hook up with 2 rods. We were only scratching one fish every other pass and they were all dinks. I figured I ain't leaving this bank until we pull our 2 limits. And that's exactly what we did.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/mikesocean/Mobile%20Uploads/6E6DBF9E-4693-4331-94A7-FDB46E22EDE0_zpsm1q8yde8.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/mikesocean/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6E6DBF9E-4693-4331-94A7-FDB46E22EDE0_zpsm1q8yde8.jpg.html)

Here's a pic of my friend and the catch.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/mikesocean/Mobile%20Uploads/7FC2B0D8-CA22-4C75-945C-44809A2173B7_zps3mkc6mhr.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/mikesocean/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7FC2B0D8-CA22-4C75-945C-44809A2173B7_zps3mkc6mhr.jpg.html)

Now I'm gonna play with my new tm and try spot lock. (Anchor free). All I have to say is WOW. It really kept the boat in one spot even with the wind blowing. It almost makes me wanna bait fish being so easy cuz I hate anchors. It was amazing to hit the button at the mouth of a cove between 2 points and watch the motor constantly moving and adjusting to keep me in the same spot. All I have to say to all you bait guys is that if you don't have this motor, BUY ONE! You will never have to throw or pull an anchor ever again.

I'm excited for fishing to pick up. I might troll less and fish more in spots where the active fish are.
This motor will definitely change the dynamics for me out there and be a whole new ball game for me. Looking forward and can't wait for t/w to kick in. Go out there and get them.

Mike

catchingsomefish
05-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Nice job Mike, your are right. it is so much different trolling now, as opposed to last year, your favorite cove is now a beach! Sounds like a fun day......Dave

cutbait
05-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Way to stick it out all day and find the fish.

Bob would be proud of you, but he's busy being an old fart

MustHuntAndFish
05-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Not only does Fishingvato have a baddass handle... he's got a baddass neighbor who takes him to the lake and puts him on fish!

Thanks for the report... Makes me wanna get back out.

TroutOnly
05-31-2014, 06:07 PM
bob's been busy doing govt work ,but the slayin resumes tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE KILLIN M/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

FISHINGVATO562
05-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks m/o for another great day on the water. I had some doubts in my mind about getting limits, but like always you found the active fish. All I can say is I'm learning from a pro!

fishinone
05-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Nice job catching Mike.

We've had similar results with the disk turning on in the afternoon.

vampirebret
05-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Awesome awesome awesome. Can't wait for the bite to turn on so I can visit it again.

Stumpknocker
06-01-2014, 06:42 AM
WTG keeping at it until you made it work.

trail blazer
06-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Great job mike,,,,,,,hopefully im next.

TRAIL BLAZER

MarkyMark
06-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Did you get a Minn-Kota ipilot?

MikesOcean
06-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Nice job Mike, your are right. it is so much different trolling now, as opposed to last year, your favorite cove is now a beach! Sounds like a fun day......Dave

Thx Dave! Yes it was heartbreaking to look up in the hills at my favorite spot. Oh well. We all are
Gonna have a whole new learning curve.

Way to stick it out all day and find the fish.

Bob would be proud of you, but he's busy being an old fart

You mean an old Boooz? Haha

Not only does Fishingvato have a baddass handle... he's got a baddass neighbor who takes him to the lake and puts him on fish!

Thanks for the report... Makes me wanna get back out.

Thx MH. I'm sure I will be seeing you out there!

bob's been busy doing govt work ,but the slayin resumes tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE KILLIN M/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Kill it BOOZ

Thanks m/o for another great day on the water. I had some doubts in my mind about getting limits, but like always you found the active fish. All I can say is I'm learning from a pro!

Thx Mike. It's always a good time fishing with you bro.

Nice job catching Mike.

We've had similar results with the disk turning on in the afternoon.

Thx Ron! Ya hopefully the real good bite is around the corner.

Awesome awesome awesome. Can't wait for the bite to turn on so I can visit it again.

Thx V. I'm sure the great bite will be sooner then later.

WTG keeping at it until you made it work.
Ty SK! Ya we must not give up until the blood sheds. Haha

Great job mike,,,,,,,hopefully im next.

TRAIL BLAZER

Hopefully? Don't get soft on me bro. You can catch fish with just a just a life jacket and a pole. Haha You know your next!! Can't wait to hitch a ride on your new sweet rig!

Did you get a Minn-Kota ipilot?
I did! You have one?