PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica Pier 5/29/2014

aramirez1988
05-30-2014, 01:23 PM
So it was my first time fishing SM Pier last night. I live in the valley but ended up knowing I was going to be in the area that evening so I made plans with my Dad, Uncle and Cousin to meet up there to hang out and try our hands at pier fishing. We got there around 7PM and there weren't that many fishermen at that time so we had a nice spot right at the base of the stairs. There was a younger guy there too with his girlfriend/wife and he pulled up some Jacksmelt right when we got there so I thought we may get something too.

We got some squid from the bait shop and tried using the good old C-Rig with strips of squid. My dad got one small Calico and threw it back. Then once my cousin went to get something to eat, his pole almost got dragged into the water by something. I grabbed the pole at the last moment and tried to bring it up. After a few minute fight the line popped and got loose. Apparently my uncle half-assed the knot and we lost the leader. Whatever it was felt nice.

A little later my dad got another Calico and threw it back too. The guy next to us had a crab net out and pulled up a nice sized crab. He then pulled up a lobster with his rod & reel! I wish I had picked up ANYTHING but it was still a fun night. The only thing that sucked was that they closed the end of the pier at 10PM to do some maintenance. We planned to be there until 11-12AM but that didn't happen.

Anyways, it was fun and now I want to visit more Piers! I think Malibu is next on the list.
Thanks for reading.

-Tony

troutdog
05-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Nice place to watch the sunset, good luck at Malibu!

TD

bobabocker
06-02-2014, 01:18 PM
So it was my first time fishing SM Pier last night. I live in the valley but ended up knowing I was going to be in the area that evening so I made plans with my Dad, Uncle and Cousin to meet up there to hang out and try our hands at pier fishing. We got there around 7PM and there weren't that many fishermen at that time so we had a nice spot right at the base of the stairs. There was a younger guy there too with his girlfriend/wife and he pulled up some Jacksmelt right when we got there so I thought we may get something too.

We got some squid from the bait shop and tried using the good old C-Rig with strips of squid. My dad got one small Calico and threw it back. Then once my cousin went to get something to eat, his pole almost got dragged into the water by something. I grabbed the pole at the last moment and tried to bring it up. After a few minute fight the line popped and got loose. Apparently my uncle half-assed the knot and we lost the leader. Whatever it was felt nice.

A little later my dad got another Calico and threw it back too. The guy next to us had a crab net out and pulled up a nice sized crab. He then pulled up a lobster with his rod & reel! I wish I had picked up ANYTHING but it was still a fun night. The only thing that sucked was that they closed the end of the pier at 10PM to do some maintenance. We planned to be there until 11-12AM but that didn't happen.

Anyways, it was fun and now I want to visit more Piers! I think Malibu is next on the list.
Thanks for reading.

-Tony

Tony,

nice read, you probably fought a batray for that half a minute... as for the crabnet option thats pretty awesome! him pulling that lobster was totally illegal though, both out of season and illegally caught due to the snagging nature... =[

bachiboy
06-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a little sundown fun. The ones that get away always leave us wanting more.:Wink: Go get em...he's waiting for you. Malibu pier is another nice pier to hang out. Good luck!

Don

aramirez1988
06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Tony,

nice read, you probably fought a batray for that half a minute... as for the crabnet option thats pretty awesome! him pulling that lobster was totally illegal though, both out of season and illegally caught due to the snagging nature... =[

I'd bet it was a ray too by the way it felt. I have no clue to the legality of the lobster/crab fishing off of the pier. It just isn't something in my wheel house. I always wondered what the rules of lobster fishing were, I might need to do some research before I do something I may regret! Seeing that guy with a crabnet makes me want to pick one up for myself now though. There were at least 3 people using them that night but I only saw him pull anything up.

murrieta angler
06-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Sounds like you had a good time with Pops and you Tio...:Cool:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><