PDA

View Full Version : 5 day Eastern Sierra Trip

KidTrout
05-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Well I'll be heading up the sierras Sunday 6/1 and coming home Thursday 6/8. We will be hitting bishop canyon on the first day and after that sticking up in Mammoth lakes. We will be fishing Little v, June lake, Gull, Silver, Mary, Mammie, George, and Convict. It's my friends first time ever going up there so he really doesn't know what to expect. I told him you will never want to leave.

Was wondering where else we should try and hit? I want my friend to catch a big one and experience how much harder the fish up there fight then down at the pay lakes. We will probably rent a boat at a few lakes to make it a little easier. Been a while since i have got a solid 5 or 6 pounder up there so we are going to be searching for them. As long as I have a good time I'll be happy though. Report coming soon.

flytyingreloader
05-29-2014, 11:41 PM
If larger models are on your radar, it would be hard to pass up Crowley.

Depending on water level, Grant Lake has some hella big-azzed trout and large numbers of them, based on my finder's data--but they are HARD to catch. Uber-clear water demands VERY light lines/leaders, and lots of natural forage keep them well-fed. My best work has been done along the S.R. 158 side of the lake from the dam to the resort, 50-100 yards offshore trolling parallel to the shoreline. The usual Sierra stuff works--Thomas Bouyants in brown, rainbow, and chub colors--Needlefish in red-orange and gold--flashers and nightcrawlers--slow-trolled Matukas and Woolly Buggers in black or olive-green--and Rapala CD in black over silver or black over gold. From shore, casting Kastmasters (silver or gold) and Panther Martins (silver blade, yellow body, red dots--or gold blade--black body--yellow dots) produce well at dawn and dusk.

Marley
05-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Where to go in the Eastern Sierra? If you're on a multi-day trip, willing to rent a boat, and pass up fishing Crowley, you have to turn in your fishing license and quit. Those beauties are the best by far, not even in the same league as the local stuff. Treat yourself: fish Crowley and Grant. And if you have a bit of extra time, cruise up to Lundy, too.
Good luck, and post up some pics!

KidTrout
05-30-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't know why but I've never fished Crowley. I always hear great things about it but never stop to fish it. I guess it's because it's a really big lake. If I were to get a boat and fish where should I aim for? Always hear McGee bay is good. I've noticed the fish out if there seem to always be more quality sized ones to. I'll have to try it out this time. Thanks guys.

seal
05-30-2014, 03:33 PM
You have to separate out what is considered a "trophy" in the pay to fish lakes with a beautiful 2-3 lbs. holdover that fights like hell. The lazy, double digit, altered, fat, finless and ugly pay to fish stocker's will then not be considered a "trophy" anymore.

Crowley I'll be there next week also.

oldschoolfishin'
06-01-2014, 04:48 PM
ya gotta fish crowley! everyplace else pales in comparison. they are line-breaking, running,( some jumpin' ) fools. you will forgo the so cal put n take fish after you hook one of their arm straighteners. you will hook some 15" to 20" fish that will tug. my grandson and i will be going up next week for a few days to celebrate his graduation from high school. all the best on your trip.

billy b
06-01-2014, 06:19 PM
AMEN !!! Just fished Crowley this Friday morn. Nuthin in the Sierras like it. Don't forget the great perchin also