PDA

View Full Version : 5/26 Memorial Day, Matt and a rescue

SurfCityUSA
05-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Didn't really want to fish on Memorial Day but we've been doing pretty well lately at DVL so DVL it was. Arrived late about 6:45 to avoid the morning rush but to my amazement there was no line and only about a dozen trailers in the lot.

As I was walking down the ramp to the boat where my two boys were waiting, a bearded guy in a truck was just about to pull his trailer out of the water. I waved and we exchanged good mornings but after I was on the dock I realized that was Matt Magnone. Especially after I recognized the deck of his boat from his videos. Matt, wish I would have had the chance to shake your hand for all your informative posts and videos. Thank you!

Went to our usual north shore coves and before I knew what was happening my 14yr old son had caught 5 bass. It was going to be another great day at DVL. I have to brag a bit here but my son really has the touch for bass fishing. Especially plastics. I took a video of him flipping a drop shot and you can see the bump of the strike and then the hook set. He needed this video for a 8th grade exit portfolio where he indicates being a professional bass fishermen is his 2nd goal after playing in the MLB. :Big Grin: I will let him post the video later.

We fished north shore and Rawsons and caught fish all day long. A little lull between say 1 and 3pm but after the shadows starting hitting the west side of those steep north shore coves it really picked up again right up until we had to leave. Fished drop shot most of the day and the effective colors for us were Zoom albino mini fluke and regular size fluke. Robo worms in purple and in the morning the Morning Dawn was hot until we ran out. I think my son caught a few on a wacky Senko watermelon with red flake. No big fish. Most were between 1.5 to 3lb but they seem to be fighting harder than a few weeks ago. Still lots of algae in the water.

Later in the day we made a run down to the I/O to meter for stripers but nothing. On the way to the saddle damn I noticed a boat on the main point perched up on the shore and they were waiving their extremely faded red flags from their rental boat. They said they prop on the motor broke and they could not get cell reception to call the marina. Most likely they sheared a pin. The boys broke out the throw line and tossed it to them but they had to tie it to the eye in the front of the rental as there was no rail cleat or anything to tie up to. Amazing! After we got out in the open water, I had 1x on my cell and was able to call the marina and about a half hour later we met the rental boat rescue guy who took them the rest of the way in. Always and adventure when fishing at DVL.

If you have kids or know kids who enjoy fishing. Take them out and get them involved. My son can't stop talking about bass fishing. He wants to sell his xBox so he can get another rod/reel. Music to any parents ears!

SurfCityUSA

BassinPLS
05-28-2014, 08:00 AM
SurfCityUSA,

Thanks for the great report. What memorable time fishing with your son. You and He will have them for ever. My son, who is now 34, still loves to jump on the boat with me when he can find a day away from the salt mine. The grand kids are now always really to go.

Good show on helping out the guys in the rental boat. Those boats leave lot to be desired!

Matt_Magnone
05-28-2014, 10:50 PM
too funny. i thought about it for a second if it might be the folks from fishingnetwork. next time you see me dont hesitate to say hello. some times im a hurry to get on the water but no matter what will stop to chat a bit.

TUNAVIC
05-29-2014, 09:45 AM
Great report,good times with your kids can't be beat,very nice Pop.

Cya Tuna Vic

bass413
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM
sell his xBox so he can get another rod/reel.

That, is AWESOME!!! I'm praying for that day to come for me.

fishinone
05-30-2014, 02:30 PM
I love it! Sell the X-Box to buy a rod a reel. If I had an X-Box that's what I'd do.