PDA

View Full Version : A NINE YEAR OLD'S MEMORIAL DAY - pics & video

anchor3n1
05-27-2014, 11:09 PM
WHAT SHOULD WE DO????
It was memorial day. My younger one and I had all morning to ourselves (mom and her older sister were going to the mall). So we do the obvious thing of course ... throw our stuff in the car and head for ... the beach and fishing!!!!

ON THE WAY
My youngest is a nine year old and she loves to talk (I guess most nine year old girls do). I don't mind cuz I like to listen any way. All I need to do is ask questions and sit back. It was about a 20 minute drive and we ended up changing words to songs from Frozen or Despicable me (kid's movies) with words about fish and fishing. It was silly and funny. Finally I asked her how many fish she was gunna catch this day. She guessed three. I was more optimistic and said she would catch seven.

WRONG
It was my daughters day and I wanted her to have a fun time hanging with daddy plus catch fish too. So I took Alexa to a spot that always has BSPs. I also brought my pole cuz I though may be I could throw the LC a bit too. Well I set her up and then I started casting the 110Flashminnow Aurora Black - my favorite. But that didn't last long. "Got one daddy", she shouts and that was it. I realized I best hang up my rig and have fun watching her pull in not three, not seven no she landed eighteen mini-piggies. We were both wrong. But we both had a great time of laughing and smiling and just plain fun together.

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab162/anchor3n1/P1000067_zps29f3ddb9.jpg (http://s860.photobucket.com/user/anchor3n1/media/P1000067_zps29f3ddb9.jpg.html)

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab162/anchor3n1/P1000076_zpsf49112f6.jpg (http://s860.photobucket.com/user/anchor3n1/media/P1000076_zpsf49112f6.jpg.html)

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab162/anchor3n1/P1000074_zps51aedf0e.jpg (http://s860.photobucket.com/user/anchor3n1/media/P1000074_zps51aedf0e.jpg.html)

TIME TO CALL IT
She did great. We stuck to the simple BG sand worms. But there were sand crabs all over the place and nice ones too if we wanted to try for the bigger guys. Plus I had all the stuff - 3 inch grubs, LCs, Kastmasters, etc. But she and I didn't care what we caught. It was fun we were after and we got plenty!!! Once she reached 18, she says, "OK I'm ready to go." And that was it.

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab162/anchor3n1/P1000071_zps25b645f3.jpg (http://s860.photobucket.com/user/anchor3n1/media/P1000071_zps25b645f3.jpg.html)

TOPPING IT OFF
When we reached our car there were three other fishermen in their waders leaving. I asked them how they did and they didn't do so well. they asked us and Alexa said I caught 18 (of course they were little guys) but she felt like she had a pretty good time of it. We left our spot and visited some friends down the way at another beach for a little bit then she and I finished it all off with a trip to 'In & Out' for burgers, fries and milk shakes.

It was a great day and another fun memory for the both of us.

Here's a little video of the fishing. I hope you can sense my daughter's joy.

http://youtu.be/tWEHsbZg-Hw

all the best,

Nick

benichi
05-27-2014, 11:53 PM
so awesome.. when my wife and I have kids I sure hope we have a daughter that like to fish... so cool... way to go out there!!!

The_Dude
05-28-2014, 07:46 AM
That is so awesome. I cherish the moments that I get to take my youngest out to the beach with me for some fishing. She gets a kick out of the BSP

skunked4life
05-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Nick,

Seriously, you got a great looking kid! You can tell by the smile on her face that she loves her daddy very much! Need more reports from you sir! You have been blessed with many fruits of your love of fishing. Congrats and keep em coming!

Ken

tomar19
05-28-2014, 09:04 AM
What a great way to spend time with your daughter. Memories of days like that with her father will stay with her for ever. Thanks for sharing with us, and keep doing what you are doing. Like Ken said, that smile tells the whole story.

Tony

bachiboy
05-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Very, very cool report, picts and video Nick! Looks like Alexa is ready to give Noelle a run for her title at HG6. It's really awesome to see you out there with your kids having a great time in the surf together. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else out there once we get all the details settled for our big event!:Wink:

Don

bassmeister
05-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Very nice you little Perch slayer. Lets see 18 perch in one day....... that's more Perch than I've caught in the last 6 years LOL.
It looked like the other fisherman on the beach were in awe of your Perchin jedi skills as well. Another awesome video and report Nicky.

anchor3n1
05-28-2014, 09:10 PM
so awesome.. when my wife and I have kids I sure hope we have a daughter that like to fish... so cool... way to go out there!!!

Hi benichi

thank you for the kind words

Nick

That is so awesome. I cherish the moments that I get to take my youngest out to the beach with me for some fishing. She gets a kick out of the BSP

Hi The Dude

I'm glad you get to enjoy your youngest out there. Nothing compares to seeing their smiles!!!

Nick

Nick,

Seriously, you got a great looking kid! You can tell by the smile on her face that she loves her daddy very much! Need more reports from you sir! You have been blessed with many fruits of your love of fishing. Congrats and keep em coming!

Ken

Howdy Ken

Thank you for the compliments and kind words. I wish I had more adventurers to report but I've been swamped with family stuff (all good) , church and lots of changes at work. Hopefully I can get out there soon.

All the best to you,

Nick

What a great way to spend time with your daughter. Memories of days like that with her father will stay with her for ever. Thanks for sharing with us, and keep doing what you are doing. Like Ken said, that smile tells the whole story.

Tony

Hi Tony:

It really is all about making memories with our kids, isn't it? I appreciate the kind words and hope to meet you sometime soon,

take care,

Nick

Very, very cool report, picts and video Nick! Looks like Alexa is ready to give Noelle a run for her title at HG6. It's really awesome to see you out there with your kids having a great time in the surf together. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else out there once we get all the details settled for our big event!:Wink:

Don

Hi Don

good to hear from you. I think the girls are getting excited about the next HG event cuz they've been asking when it's gunna be. And they ask me if Don will be there ("Yes i'm sure he will girls") Ha Ha!

take care,

Nick

Very nice you little Perch slayer. Lets see 18 perch in one day....... that's more Perch than I've caught in the last 6 years LOL.
It looked like the other fisherman on the beach were in awe of your Perchin jedi skills as well. Another awesome video and report Nicky.

Scotty sir:

It's been too long bro. When are we gunna get orders for another joint operation? :LOL:

Thank you for the kind words and hope to see you soon (I've been real busy lately).

Nick

jaque1579
05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
so cool! looks like a really fun trip.

Question: what editor did you use to compile the youtube video? It's so well made!

SP Dan
05-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Hi ya Nick,

Man oh man ....... that smile on Alexa's face ..... it certainly says it all!
Fun times and great memories to last a life time! WTG!

I'll be looking forward to seeing you and your family at HG-6. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

anchor3n1
05-30-2014, 05:25 PM
so cool! looks like a really fun trip.

Question: what editor did you use to compile the youtube video? It's so well made!

Hi jaque1579

Thanks it was fun. I use iMovie on an iMac to edit the GoPro videos I make.

Nick

Hi ya Nick,

Man oh man ....... that smile on Alexa's face ..... it certainly says it all!
Fun times and great memories to last a life time! WTG!

I'll be looking forward to seeing you and your family at HG-6. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Hi Dan

Catching Alexa's smile beats landing any beastie butt for me any day of the week:LOL:

We will see you at HG6 for shore!

all the best,

Nick

Her smile says it all! Congrats, Dad! You just won parenting.

Hi Kevman:

I'm trying to be intentional when it comes to raising my girls. Thank you for your words:Smile:

Nick

fishshep
05-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Nice to see, !!! :Big Grin: May all the days of her life know such joy !!! :Big Grin:

Viejo
05-31-2014, 07:17 AM

What a day for the both of you to remember! You wisely let your daughter be a part of "designing" her day. She will remember these times with great fondness for the rest of her life.

Kevman
05-31-2014, 08:46 AM
Her smile says it all! Congrats, Dad! You just won parenting.

bones
05-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Awesome report Nick. sorry for the late response but I've been spending time with my kids before they move much further away from me in a few months. I have pretty much been away from the board but I just wanted to say "Great Job Pops". That beach brings back probably the most rewarding times I've ever had in my life. Albeit it was 15 years ago that a fellow FNN fisherman named chris187 turned me onto the spot and told me that if I wanted peace, privacy and exclusivity while introducing my kids to the sport of fishing the surf....I had to go to that spot. When I first took Desire, the three kids and the little rat dog there it was amazing. There was tons of drift wood piled up on the beach and we would even do overnight camp trips there using the drift wood for the camp fire. I swear it was like another world. Never another human being in sight for the entire time we were there. Then the army corps of engineers cleand up all of the wood and the poaching crew found the place....Enough said...LOL
As for the memories though...the vid of Alexa enjoying her perch slayage brought back such a warm feeling in my heart. For a moment I got lost in the memories of my family times when I was on top of the world just walking along that beach for a few miles with my kids and dog just fishing and playing in the waves. This report actually brought a happy tear to my eye...Thank you for reminding me how fortunate I am to have been able to make a difference in their lives. Their all grown up now but we still talk about those times and rejoice over the memories.
Take care Nick... Your a good Dad....And your two daughters will never forget the memories you are building. One day...They will discover BOYS.....LOL So make as many memories as you can right now.

Jaysuuun
05-31-2014, 10:25 PM
What a great way to spend the holiday! That was an awesome heart felt report. The smile on Alexa's face says it all. See ya guys at HG!

yakfish51
06-01-2014, 11:18 AM
You guys made my day!!!

Thanks for the report

Tim

anchor3n1
06-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Nice to see, !!! :Big Grin: May all the days of her life know such joy !!! :Big Grin:

Hi Daniel

Thank you! I pray the same thing for Alexa.

BTW: do you like Alexa striking the "fishshep" pose with her perchie?

What a day for the both of you to remember! You wisely let your daughter be a part of "designing" her day. She will remember these times with great fondness for the rest of her life.

Hi Viejo:

Yes that's one of the best gifts a Dad can give - memories. Thank for your encouragement.

Nick

Awesome report Nick. sorry for the late response but I've been spending time with my kids before they move much further away from me in a few months. I have pretty much been away from the board but I just wanted to say "Great Job Pops". That beach brings back probably the most rewarding times I've ever had in my life. Albeit it was 15 years ago that a fellow FNN fisherman named chris187 turned me onto the spot and told me that if I wanted peace, privacy and exclusivity while introducing my kids to the sport of fishing the surf....I had to go to that spot. When I first took Desire, the three kids and the little rat dog there it was amazing. There was tons of drift wood piled up on the beach and we would even do overnight camp trips there using the drift wood for the camp fire. I swear it was like another world. Never another human being in sight for the entire time we were there. Then the army corps of engineers cleand up all of the wood and the poaching crew found the place....Enough said...LOL
As for the memories though...the vid of Alexa enjoying her perch slayage brought back such a warm feeling in my heart. For a moment I got lost in the memories of my family times when I was on top of the world just walking along that beach for a few miles with my kids and dog just fishing and playing in the waves. This report actually brought a happy tear to my eye...Thank you for reminding me how fortunate I am to have been able to make a difference in their lives. Their all grown up now but we still talk about those times and rejoice over the memories.
Take care Nick... Your a good Dad....And your two daughters will never forget the memories you are building. One day...They will discover BOYS.....LOL So make as many memories as you can right now.

Hi Mike

Wow! between the story above about how you spent such great times with your children fishing and hanging out with them plus things you shared with me about your kids in PMs, I am very much convinced in my heart/mind to follow your footsteps. I hope to hear the same things from my girls one day about the times we spent (will spend) - hanging together, good times, just being a family. Obviously you've done things right with your family to have your children love you as they do. Your a motivation to me to keep at it and even do more to be a dad who impacts their life.

I needed to read your post a few times cuz it hit the nail on the head for why were doing this - parenting ( i even showed it to my wife).

Thank you for your continued encouragement.

your friend,

Nick

What a great way to spend the holiday! That was an awesome heart felt report. The smile on Alexa's face says it all. See ya guys at HG!

Hi Jason

Thanks for the nice words. Yes we will see ya there.

Nick

You guys made my day!!!

Thanks for the report

Tim

Hi Tim:

thank you!

Nick

Wingnut
06-02-2014, 05:36 PM
That's wonderful Nick... Families like yours is the reason why we hold the HG Surf events. :Big Grin:
Well done Dad and I'm looking forward to seeing all of you guys in September.
The target date for HG6, at the moment, is Saturday, September 27th. :Wink:

murrieta angler
06-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Awesome Brother!
You are truly Blessed...:Big Grin:
Hope to fish with you this year Nick.
Robert
<><

anchor3n1
06-03-2014, 09:09 PM
That's wonderful Nick... Families like yours is the reason why we hold the HG Surf events. :Big Grin:
Well done Dad and I'm looking forward to seeing all of you guys in September.
The target date for HG6, at the moment, is Saturday, September 27th. :Wink:

Hi Arthur:

Thank you! I told the girls the current HG6 target date. All of us are looking forward to seeing every body there (and fishing too:Envious:)

Nick

Awesome Brother!
You are truly Blessed...:Big Grin:
Hope to fish with you this year Nick.
Robert
<><

Hi Robert

God is good:Big Grin: Looking forward to that day when we get to hang out in the surf!!!

blessing my brother,

Nick