PDA

View Full Version : so OC from my log

Riverdale
05-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Never fish the ocean here, even tho I lived in San Clemente for many years ,was not until I moved to the Ca Delta and became a bass fisher person that I even
thought about the big pond. Sano off my long board yesterday throwing 3 inch big Hammers in the morning between 7-9 coming off a semi high tide towards dropping tide.The fish could not leave it alone!!2nd cast I got broke off, side to side head jerks the whole nine,headed in to re-rig and a friend gave me his lil plano box to keep my baits and jig heads in .With a bungee cord around the nose of my 10-7 (yes (10-7)lol , pliers and box of baits proceeded back out.Every cast the bait would load up a bit then drop,load up then drop,little calico`s I came to find out by catching 3 of them were biting as much as they could!!Next big bite took the tail clean off of the Lil hammer (soo fun )!!caught what I thought was a big bass cuz the rod had bent over and was pulling drag but pulled up a maybe 1 pound calico LOL must have had 5 pound of sea weed on him.Then bam ,Fish on a nice big Halibut!! My friend says that's a keeper but we were not sure,He suggested that I lay it across my board then we would measure the board width when we hit the shore.Fish went rail to rail and after getting my bait back, he or she was released.3 calico bass and two butt lips later and I called it a morning cuz the waves started to look fun and the continuous bite had stopped.Back on the beach measure tape in hand the board measures 24 inch rail to rail She Was a keeper!!!!!Super Fun, these were my first ocean fish other than on a half day boat as a Kid.colrs were xmas tree and the one that they all wanted was Senorita, Cheers!!Riv...

anchor3n1
05-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Hey Riverdale

nice work there.

Nick

bachiboy
05-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Nice job on the legal and kudos on the release! Just makes it possible for you to catch her again when she's twice as long as the width of that board.:Wink:

Congrats and great report!!!
Don

benichi
05-27-2014, 11:53 PM
great report.. nice job on the catches as well!!!

remington
05-28-2014, 06:42 AM
Man that's just crazy fishing off a surfboard, what about sharks????

J/K Riverdale, very nice report! Feel free to send me a PM if you want some ideas on how to rig up your log into a fishing machine.

Good job man!

Kelly

skunked4life
05-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Man that's just crazy fishing off a surfboard, what about sharks????

J/K Riverdale, very nice report! Feel free to send me a PM if you want some ideas on how to rig up your log into a fishing machine.

Good job man!

Kelly

...says the man who bare hand gills a GIANT halibut from his surf board...

Great job out there RD, and DO listen to Remington, he knows his stuff.

Skunked4life

remington
05-28-2014, 09:47 AM
...says the man who bare hand gills a GIANT halibut from his surf board...

Great job out there RD, and DO listen to Remington, he knows his stuff.

Skunked4life

Lol. I would like to get one from the beach that size for this little challenge thingy I'm working on...

For those that enjoy surfing & fishing as much as I do we use to have my favorite fishing tourney once a year down in La Jolla. Sadly, it no longer exists...:Sad:
http://www.surfermag.com/features/boardfishin/

HeadShakes
05-28-2014, 12:00 PM
That is awesome!! I'm so pumped up now to take out my board and rod!! Gives a whole new meaning to the term (surf fishing). It's a shame that tournament isn't going on any more Remington :( would love to do something like that! Congrats on a Hali and a great day of surfing and fishing!

murrieta angler
06-07-2014, 06:18 AM
Sounds like you had a sweet time that day.
Keep it up and you might be at the beach longer than you thought...:Big Grin:
That's a good thing, right!?!
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Riverdale
06-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Sounds like you had a sweet time that day.
Keep it up and you might be at the beach longer than you thought...:Big Grin:
That's a good thing, right!?!
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<>< Ya it was a great day!!Thanx for chiming in guys, sorry to get back so late its been soo busy!!I guess I always kinda had in my mind that ocean fishing as I knew it, was a bait and wait kinda thing. I cant believe I used to live right across the freeway from that magical wonderland and never even thought about it. How many hours I have stared at the water ,watching the tide,wind,swell etc.!!LOL..Think i`m gonna have a new addiction!!!!!!And def gonna do catch and release for the most part as in lmb fishing ,getting them back unharmed is the goal to me! !Cheers !! Riv