PDA

View Full Version : Easy Limits Trolling on Memorial Day with DMS

fishinone
05-27-2014, 12:11 PM
DMS, of Dan and Lulu fame, and I planned to fish on Memorial Day afternoon hoping to let the weekenders begin heading home and things begin to calm down after the long weekend as we started our fishing.

Dan had found some fish that were willing to hit the troll rigs on a couple earlier trips so we had a plan. The plan worked well except that the weekenders stuck it out longer than we would have liked.

On our first pass through the schools Dan hooked up a on a double of typical schoolies. On the next pass I was up and got another double. One of these was the big fish for the day about 2 1/2 lb. I'm out of practice, a schoolie and a little bigger schoolie worked me too hard.

After our initial success, things slowed down. We made some adjustments to our setups and hooked up a single on each of the two poles and also got couple one at a time. We got a lot of hits that didn't hook up then I finally got one of those light hits while I was holding onto the rod and set the hook. It was a 10" baby and I nearly ripped it's lip off. I didn't bother setting the hook after that. Then things slowed down again. I think the constant power boat churning had the striper on edge. We picked away at them but we could tell that we weren't really dialed in. After a few setup changes and some adjustments to our line we got on them and started getting doubles again.

On our last pass with the fish count at 18, Dan hooked a double and I hooked a single. Both of Dan's fish were bigger than mine. We tossed mine and got ready to head home.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/5-26-2014%20Trolling%20with%20DMS/20140526_181027_zps58a6fd0f.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/5-26-2014%20Trolling%20with%20DMS/20140526_181027_zps58a6fd0f.jpg.html)

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/5-26-2014%20Trolling%20with%20DMS/20140526_180945_zpsc627af8b.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/5-26-2014%20Trolling%20with%20DMS/20140526_180945_zpsc627af8b.jpg.html)

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/5-26-2014%20Trolling%20with%20DMS/20140526_180916_zpsb614a0ad.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/5-26-2014%20Trolling%20with%20DMS/20140526_180916_zpsb614a0ad.jpg.html)

We trolled from 2:00 to 6:00 and landed 23 fish. We threw back three smaller ones.

I think we had 5 doubles and three times we were hooked up on both poles.

Thanks Dan for inviting me to fish with you!

MikesOcean
05-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Good chit Ron and DMS.

I'm just getting more pumped up for the next time
I go out!!

catchingsomefish
05-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Nice report Ron, looks like you and Dan had a great day on the water, and productive in terms of fish count! Water level looks even lower than when I was last out.......Dave

Stumpknocker
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Great job getting them to hit the trolled rigs...that's a lot of fish for such a short time fishing!

larry626
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Wow beautiful! Time to plan a date with the lake. Thanks for the report.

Bassfan
05-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Nice job guys. Tell that hat salesman I'm in the market.

TroutOnly
05-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Nice killin boys....................

fishinone
05-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Good chit Ron and DMS.

I'm just getting more pumped up for the next time
I go out!!

I think it's time, it should get better n better for a while.

Nice report Ron, looks like you and Dan had a great day on the water, and productive in terms of fish count! Water level looks even lower than when I was last out.......Dave

Thank you. The water level is dropping fast, soon we won't need hooks.

Great job getting them to hit the trolled rigs...that's a lot of fish for such a short time fishing!

It really is. I was being impatient because I remember how furious the bite was last year but I shouldn't complain.

Wow beautiful! Time to plan a date with the lake. Thanks for the report.

Do it while the bite is hot.

Nice job guys. Tell that hat salesman I'm in the market.

Got the hat a Gallion's. I like those hats because the straw actually opens up to make room for such a big head. I buy one every once in a while and wear it for a while then crush it or lose it and when I go back they're out of them.

Nice killin boys....................

Thanks T/O. That means a lot coming from you!

DMS
05-27-2014, 05:06 PM
great report... while reading it, I almost felt like I was there :)

DMS
05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
You should add one small anchor to our count too.

fishinone
05-27-2014, 05:26 PM
great report... while reading it, I almost felt like I was there :)

I'm trying to figure out why! :Smile:

You should add one small anchor to our count too.

OK! We were trolling along and I saw this rope covered in crap with one end dangling along the surface. I said to Dan, "There's somebody's anchor rope." He just kept on going, so I said "That has an anchor on the other end, you know.". Then he tumbled! Before we went back to set up our troll again we stopped and pulled on that rope. it came right up, so Dan is the proud owner of a nice PlastiDipped Anchor.

We hauled the nasty rope back to the ramp and threw it away. It looked like it had been cut with a knife. I guess someone couldn't get it off of bottom but I came right up for us.

MustHuntAndFish
05-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Nice!!! Adjustments leading to more bites makes the catching more satisfying.

For me, adjustments are varying trolling speed or letting out more line, maybe leading to a few more bites. For you guys it means tweaking your rigs or trolling lanes and angles, leading to limits! That's what experience is all about!

Thanks for the report.

CAPT'N
05-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Nice fish !

You were brave souls to venture out this weekend. I still get the shakes when I think about Memorial Day last year on the lake........

Capt'n

GhettoBasser
05-27-2014, 08:55 PM
That's rad!

fishinone
05-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Nice!!! Adjustments leading to more bites makes the catching more satisfying.

For me, adjustments are varying trolling speed or letting out more line, maybe leading to a few more bites. For you guys it means tweaking your rigs or trolling lanes and angles, leading to limits! That's what experience is all about!

Thanks for the report.

It sounds like your catching on pretty well. We tried all of those changes at least once.

Experience is where old and tired meets opportunity.

Nice fish !

You were brave souls to venture out this weekend. I still get the shakes when I think about Memorial Day last year on the lake........

Capt'n

I go for the whole day on a long weekend every couple of years. When for a while I remember not to do it but after a while I forget about the pain and have to try the whole day again.

Sometimes, I think the lake lice are coming closer to the fisherman to give the fishermen the pleasure of watching their brilliant boating and/or skiing prowess. "Oh look, an audience!"

That's rad!

Thanks!

vampirebret
05-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Its about time you are starting to catch again Ron. With no reports coming in from you, I thought you have left the fishing scene. LOL
Awesome fish again and I look forward to seeing more good reports from you.

fishinone
05-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Its about time you are starting to catch again Ron. With no reports coming in from you, I thought you have left the fishing scene. LOL
Awesome fish again and I look forward to seeing more good reports from you.

Bwaah! Don't equate reports with fishing! Equate the lack of reports with being kept in the dark! LOL

lowe
05-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the good report ..lo

fishinone
05-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the good report ..lo

My pleasure! :Big Grin: