PDA

View Full Version : California Citrus State Park Reservoir Report Mockingbird Reservoir

carpanglerdude
05-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Mockingbird Reservoir, in the California Citrus State Park (Riverside) has always intrigued me. I stopped by to hike the trails at this old orchard and take a look at the reservoir. This lake does not allow fishing nor can the public get close to its shore. However, I've heard reports of it being full of water in the past with plenty of fish cover. I was surprised to see it was...empty! I'm not sure if they are draining it for water through the Gage Canal or otherwise. Regardless, take a look for yourselves with a little video I shot from my trip:

http://youtu.be/sluMLxYIU9k

Too bad it's empty; and too bad it's off limits to fishing.

GhettoBasster
05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Mockingbird Reservoir, in the California Citrus State Park (Riverside) has always intrigued me. I stopped by to hike the trails at this old orchard and take a look at the reservoir. This lake does not allow fishing nor can the public get close to its shore. However, I've heard reports of it being full of water in the past with plenty of fish cover. I was surprised to see it was...empty! I'm not sure if they are draining it for water through the Gage Canal or otherwise. Regardless, take a look for yourselves with a little video I shot from my trip:

http://youtu.be/sluMLxYIU9k

Too bad it's empty; and too bad it's off limits to fishing.

Thanks for the recon report. The last time I saw it, it had water and looked really fishy. From what I've read, some entity drains it every so often. That's one sure way to discourage the ninjas.

teamsters952
07-05-2014, 01:29 PM
I used to fish it in the mid to late 1980's. Lots of bluegill,carp,cats and,rock bass. Yeah you gotta sneak in at night. They did drain it for some kind of water restoration project but unfortunately they didnt save the fish. Lake is full again now.

castle
07-06-2014, 06:53 AM
That canal leading into it used to have bluegilz in it. Now that is dry too.

matt duarte
07-31-2014, 02:01 PM
ya i live close to it.. they emptied it almost a year ago i think.. been dry for a while.. always looked super fishy but ive heard from the people that ninja fished it that there were tons of rattle snakes in that area.. kinda skectchy especially when u had to go thru some bush to get to the water..

gillisbeach
08-11-2014, 02:53 PM
I lived in Riverside from 1980-83, and knew the Caretaker at Mockingbird and fished it several times. Many 3-4Lb. LMB, plastic worms, catch and release, lots of fun.