PDA

View Full Version : My encounter at Snake Lake

sky
10-01-2007, 05:04 AM
During an excursion up north, I came across Snake Lake, located deep within a thickly wooded setting, in an out-of-the way region, near the town of Quincy. Itís no mystery how the lake got its name. It is a perfect snake haven, and appropriately named, due to all of the slimy critters lurking about and I am not just talking about the kind of animal species that slither across the ground either.

When I got out of my vehicle and walked around in search of the launch (and lake), little did I realize I was standing within a few feet of the shoreline, and a step or two further, I would have taken a nose dive into the lake. Almost the entire water surface was covered with a colorful lily pad-like plant, which gave the illusion I was looking at solid ground.

Fishing at this lake destination would be an absolute nightmare due to your lure getting tangled in the ponds of lilies, but if you donít mind this major nuisance, amazingly, the lake is home to a variety of fish species including bass, bluegill, catfish and rainbow trout.

After I snapped a couple of photos, as I turned around, I saw a man laying on a lawn chair with a heap of empty beer cans tossed about on the ground, who had been out of sight from my view, by the thick grove of trees and bushes, up until now. From my vantage point, he appeared to be sleeping off a drunken stupor.

Now you might not find this particularly odd, but for the most part I certainly did, especially since I didnít see any camping gear, tent or car, and the lake was a good fifteen miles away from the nearest town, or residence. In addition, he was the only one around, besides me, so I decided to drive a few extra miles further and check out Smith Lake instead. I quietly turned back, got into my car and drove off.

The dirt lake access road to reach Smith Lake was in worse condition and had several unmarked forks in the road. The fallen tree branches, giant pot holes and large rocks made driving difficult on the obscure road. I concluded I must have I taken a wrong fork when the road petered out to a dead end, so I turned around and took the left fork I passed by a short while back.

After driving for about a mile, I came upon a really out of the ordinary scene that reminded me of a cult sacrificial site with a couple headless dead birds lying lifeless on the ground, next to large flat boulder, with articles of clothing thrown about on the ground. What ever was going on, it looked very questionable as to the type of activities that transpired here, so I decided to turn back instead of continuing on to Smith Lake in case the individuals should return.

On the way back down, as I drove by Snake Lake, I looked over in the direction where I saw the man laying in the lawn chair earlier, which both he and the lawn chair were now gone. As I turned my head back towards the road, and drove around the bend, no more than twenty feet ahead of me, was a man standing in the middle of the dirt road holding a rifle down by his side. He stood as lifeless as a statue. It was clear I had an impassable road before me which was not wide enough to weave around him or for me to turnaround. I had to make a spilt decision whether I should hit the break or keep on driving, and hope to God he stepped back out of the way.

My options were limited and an assessment had to be made in a fraction of second. I figured I would be out of harms way if I kept moving, which hopefully would force him to get out of the way, providing he wasnít too drunk to budge. My heart was racing a mile a minute, as I watched with anticipation to see what he was going to do once he realized I wasnít going to stop. Would he raise his rifle, or step aside?

It all happened simultaneously; even now it plays out in my mind like some kind of horror movie, where youíre being chased by a mad man like the guy in the movie the Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My heart was thumping so hard, it felt like it would leap right out of my chest.

Since I wasnít traveling much more then 5 m.p.h. due to the terrible road conditions, I figured heíd have plenty of time to step back out of the way, or for that matter - pull the trigger. At the last moment, he stepped aside. I held my breath and waited to see if he would hurl himself onto my car and grab hold, like they do on television. As I too slowly passed by him, I let out a breath of relief, up until I looked in my rearview mirror and saw him raise his rifle to his shoulder and point in my direction.

This was the second time in my life someone drew a gun on me, and both times I was filled with this overwhelming sense of apprehension that I am about to die. Thatís when my survival instincts kicked in. I pressed my foot on the gas petal and ducked as low as I could, so I could still peer over the car dash to try to avoid being swallow up by a pot hole, or from nailing a large rock on the undercarriage of my car.

Off in the distance an old pickup truck came into view. When I looked up into my rear view mirror, the man with the rifle had vanished as swiftly as he appeared. I slowed down, when the truck was near to me and beeped my horn and motioned him to stop. I wanted to warn him about the man with the rifle. While he rolled down his window, thatís when I realized he might be a drinking buddy of the mysterious man with the gun who might be returning from a beer run, based on his scraggly appearance and toothless grin. I asked him where the nearest gas station was, rolled up my window and sped off leaving behind a cloud of dust in my wake.

As I drove away, as fast as I safely back to the main road, I wondered if the man would have shot me, because he was so drunk, he thought I was trying to run over him with my car.

Fisher-of-Men
10-01-2007, 05:13 AM
Wow! That was one heck of a "Thriller" I just read! Everything about that trip had an errie side to it. :shock: I'm glad you made it home okay. :wink:

Fisher-of-Men

Greg Madrigal
10-01-2007, 10:18 PM
CRAZY!!! Are you sure that wasn't an exerpt from your latest novel?

Great read either way. Glas u were safe too.

GM

FishermanStu
10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
can you say deliverance

britheguy
10-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Amazing writing man, and one hell of a story! *Novel notice*

one_leg
10-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks Sky,

If you ever come across a one legged guy passed out cold, just give him mouth to mouth resucitation.

One_Leg

sky
10-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks Sky,

If you ever come across a one legged guy passed out cold, just give him mouth to mouth resucitation.

One_Leg
:appl: Another good one one_leg.... Do you think if I throw some cold water on him it would revive him?....

It was a tough call to make. Several thoughts ran into my mind at the time. My first thought was I startled a man who was walking down the road who was hunting deer. I didn't get a good look at the man's face who was sleeping, so I assumed the man with the gun was the same man I saw earlier because I didn't see any cars any where, and the man in the lawn chair was gone.

My gut feeling told me, the man was hiding out, because it didn't look like anyone visited Snake Lake very often. Why else did he move his lawn chair and beer cans? And why was his lawn chair in an area, that was surrounded by a bunch of bushes and trees, instead of in the campground area? Where was his camping gear or truck if he was hunting? There were only three campfire grills, and an old wooden outhouse. There wasn't any path to the lake or trash in the trash bin either. None of the grills looked like they had been used in a while.

My next thought was about being out in the middle of no where, with a guy holding a shot gun, left me in a pretty awkward predicament. Maybe, he would kill me, and steal my car, or perhaps he would just steal my car, and leave me stranded....then I took into consideration how many beer cans there were - If this was the same guy I saw earlier, he may be feeling pretty frisky and wanted mouth to mouth resucitation like one_leg.... :shock:

Then there was the clothes on the ground I saw going up to Smith Lake...maybe he had his way with some other people who happened to find his hiding spot, and he disposed of them....(Here's where my imagination can get carried away....but its not that often I find myself in this type of situation. Perhaps I need to lay off watching scary movies.)

When he didn't move and just stood in the road like he wanted me to stop - was the reason I decided to keep on going. To me that pretty much tells me what his intentions were.... That's when I figured I was in trouble. Normally you jump out of the way if you see a car coming. I think I surprised him, when I didn't stop.

I thought about it afterwards, if that was his drinking buddy in the truck, why did the guy with the gun disappear?

I've asked myself over and over again what I would have done, if he didn't move out of the way. Would I have run him over?

So what would you have done if he hadn't moved out of the way?

sansou
10-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Was it a shotgun or rifle? You seem to vacillate between the two.

The reason for the inquiry is that sometimes you see hunters use their rifle scopes to get a closer look at things. Who knows.

It would seem you never have a dull trip wherever you go!

sky
10-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I am pretty sure it was a double barrel shotgun.

I've had hundreds of uneventful outings too...but they're not much to write about though.

one_leg
10-02-2007, 12:24 PM

I'd have stopped of course. I ain't no Lindsay Lohan.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gj0h ... rapher-wit (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gj0h_lindsay-lohan-hits-photographer-wit)

One_Leg

Fisher-of-Men
10-02-2007, 12:57 PM

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gj0h ... rapher-wit (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gj0h_lindsay-lohan-hits-photographer-wit)

One_Leg

No..........you're Paris Hilton! :lol:

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/ParisHilton.jpg

And Paris looks like she needs to use the restroom real bad!! :pee:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fisher-of-Men

one_leg
10-02-2007, 04:35 PM
[quote=sky]So what would you have done if he hadn't moved out of the way?

One_Leg

No..........you're Paris Hilton! :lol:

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/ParisHilton.jpg

And Paris looks like she needs to use the restroom real bad!! :pee:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fisher-of-Men[/quote:d4a12]

Diuretics, perhapshhhhh.

One_Leg

CASTAWAY
10-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks Sky,

One_Leg

:rofl:

Troutman65
10-03-2007, 06:04 PM
:shock: Wow what a read. You would think that a girl like yourself going out ioto some back woods area would have a friend with you or something. When you scuba dive they have a" buddy system" that is in place for" safety reasons". Maybe the buddy system would give you more of a secure feeling when your out in the boondocks.

Troutman65

Skyler
10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
:shock: Wow what a read. You would think that a girl like yourself going out ioto some back woods area would have a friend with you or something. When you scuba dive they have a" buddy system" that is in place for" safety reasons". Maybe the buddy system would give you more of a secure feeling when your out in the boondocks.

Troutman65

Ditto.

Seriously though, interesting story. I would have pulled over and asked him if I could shoot his rifle, lol. Then I'd let him shoot mine. That's how I've met most of my hunting buddies. i know you're better safe than sorry, but a rifle isn't always a bad thing. You don't even know how many people I've freaked out while out hunting. Inevitably, every time you cross a road, a volvo full of yuppies drives by with terrified looks on their faces. Sometimes they even call the cops on their cell phones (I've been rolled by the fuzz during 6 legal hunting activities in the last 3 years). I guess it's part of being a redneck in California, he he he. So where are all the fish pics?

TM, feel free to ditto this, lol.

seahonk
10-04-2007, 03:03 AM
sky it's possible that the guy was watching over his mary jane field :roll:

sky
10-04-2007, 10:47 AM
That's an interesting thought Sea Honk I hadn't thought of that. The area might be too dense with pine trees, and thick undergrowth - and has too many boulders and rocks, (besides being too cold) to grow crops.

I think he was hiding - and I suprised him coming around the corner, (and by not stopping.) I think he was drunk and got pissed off because he thought I was trying to run him over....unless he saw me earlier, and was laying in wait for me but I don't think he saw me earlier.

Perhaps the man in the truck was his drinking buddy, and he gave his friend a shotgun to protect himself in case a bear tried to gobble him up while he left him out in the boonies alone. :shock:

But if the guy was his buddy - that doesn't explain why the guy with the gun disappeared when the truck came back into view, (or why he moved his lawn chair) if he was waiting for his buddy to come back with the beer.

one_leg
10-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Perhaps the man in the truck was his drinking buddy, and he gave his friend a shotgun to protect himself in case a bear tried to gobble him up while he left him out in the boonies alone. :shock:

Guns and alcohol don't mix. I tried it once and all I got was a really clean gun that needed oiling again, and a really nasty tasting glass of Everclear.

Sky, I take it he wasn't your type? :lol:

one_Leg

bogie
10-04-2007, 07:01 PM
That was one story for sure I thought I was reading a novel. Glad your safe definatly creepy.

sandiegojoe
10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
great story sky. Did you call the local police? Some dude trying to block your path and then pointing a gun at you seems like something they should look into.

sky
10-05-2007, 05:03 PM
great story sky. Did you call the local police? Some dude trying to block your path and then pointing a gun at you seems like something they should look into.

I agree with you.

I looked for a police or ranger station when I got to Bucks Lake, which is about 15 miles away, but I didn't see one. (Not even a gas station or a store.) The lakes are located out in the boonies, especailly Snake and Smith Lakes. There's no cell phone reception in that area.

sandiegojoe
10-05-2007, 05:11 PM

I agree with you.

I looked for a police or ranger station when I got to Bucks Lake, which is about 15 miles away, but I didn't see one. (Not even a gas station or a store.) The lakes are located out in the boonies, especailly Snake and Smith Lakes. There's no cell phone reception in that area.

It's something you can still report.

Hell, just cut and paste it and send it to the local police as well as the state or national park system. The rangers need to know what's going on at these places.

Couple college girls out on a camping trip might not have been so lucky.

troutslayer05
10-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Close call man...I have heard of many marijuana growers planting in parks and seldom gone places with guards...maybe you could have stumbled upon a patch of that good ole' hippy lettuce. not a good situtation either way. Glad to see your okay haha