PDA

View Full Version : SWAT, there it is............

Nipple Twister
05-25-2014, 01:59 PM
With the holiday this weekend I had planned on making a few attempts at some fish, seeing as I had four whole days off, but one thing lead to another I was only able to make it out today. So, as usual in picking out an AO, I start with looking at the predicted surf height and then narrow it down based on further indicators such as tide, driving, access, rocky or sandy and other possible activities that might interfere based on the day.
I had maybe three spots I was looking at and after getting intel from SPDan, it quickly narrowed to just two which should be holding fish by now, one of which I hadn’t been to in a while sooooooo………..on to the hunt.

Time: 0530-0900 (tel:0530-0900) hrs
Date: Sun, May 25, 2014
AO: CLASSIFIED, EYES ONLY
Terrain: Long open sandy beach with very mild slope to the shoreline.
Surf: 1-2ft with an occasional 3 ft
Intervals: Holy crap it must been 1/2 second!
Tide: Incoming
Weather: Mildly cool and cloudy
Wind: Calm
Water Clarity: Fair to Good, very minimal salad.
Water Temp: 62 degrees.
Bait: Lucky Craft Surf Pointer 115 in Candy tied to 50lb green Power Pro braid spooled on a Daiwa Luna 253 attached to a 7’-6” Carrot Stix
Fish Count: One 22” Halibut

After getting dressed and making the short trek to the surf line things seemed rather fishy except for one very annoying aspect, what surf there was it was breaking right on shore and the intervals were ridicules! Waves breaking over waves which were smacking you right at waist and chest high making sure it kept you wet. No worries, batten down all hatches, head down and press on!
Even with all the turbulence there were times it calmed long enough to see into clearish water, lots of baby Leos teaming about, I catch Corbina running up the skinny water looking for sand crabs (me without a drop-shot rig) and bat rays running off as I move about the ebb and flow.
I fall into my usual routine, starting at one end of the beach fan casting my way along, I notice maybe two other anglers on the sand with one coming in right behind me but far enough I couldn't tell who it was and he was gone before I came back.
At first not much was happening but that LC Surf Pointer 115 sure does cast nice and far, no tumble just rocketship launch and “splashdown”! Nice slow retrieve feeling that LC wiggle it’s way back to me, getting the sandy bottom once in a while as it nears me and the shallow water. Couple few times I get a Perch bump but nothing sticks, kept flinging away and work my way down the beach. Looking back I see the other fellow get what appears to be a short Halibut but not sure. Time tics on and I start to get that feeling it might turn out to be another casting practice day and getting beat on by this surf was grating on me. As the water deepens with the tide some very familiar trenches seem to appear and lots of rips nearby. Hmm, ignore the surf, wiped my glasses and started hammering those areas. Going through that spot I decide I will make this my turn around, linger a bit more and make my move back to the other end from where I came.
Noticing a breeze picking up slightly it still has no effect on the LCSP 115, awesome.
Dragging it through the deep holes from one direction to another I was watching my line cut through the water I get one of those solid stop like tugs, feels like it’s hook-up but nothing moving……..ahhh, SNGF or Ray or something similar with that boat anchor effect. No worries, something to pull on and it beats the skunk right?
Lets see what it is I pull a hard hook set…….Whooo Hooooo…..game on brother. Fish starts to take drag and head down the beach about 20 yards out, still thinking a flat fish of the wrong kind I tighten the drag slightly and it turns back towards me, I take some line back and then it feels like it should……..”bang, bang, bang” HEAD SHAKE BABY!!!
I fight it back and forth a few times before getting a look at as it peaked out the face of a wave I see that familiar grey smooth ugliness, HALIBUT! It appears to be of legal size and rather fat, I tighten down one more time and try getting it to shore with the timing of the waves.
That instant feeling you get from bummed about being another lack luster session to YEAH BABY is pretty cool, slide it up the sand, grab the lip gripper and get a tape on it…….
22 inches on the button:

I haven’t had anything worth taking home since last year I had already decided I would put one on the dinner table if at all possible so I take my time unlashing it, taking a pic and securing for the walk off the sand.

I make some well spaced out casts as I work my way down the beach feeling pretty good, even the shore pound surf seemed to not bother as much anymore, huh…….

I haven’t had any fish to grill since I switched to charcoal only BBQing so today it was gonna be fresh grilled Halibut for lunch:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/DSCF0176_zpsdcf9fef6.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/nippletwister_photos/media/Fishing/DSCF0176_zpsdcf9fef6.jpg.html)
Thank You Poseidon for the generous offering…….thank you all for reading my post and have a wonderful holiday remembering those who have gave it all and those who are still giving to this great county of ours…….

……’til next time……tight lines

PS:http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/C0135E51-8D8E-43C1-A59F-706B7EF0B3FF_zpsshdql5pa.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/nippletwister_photos/media/Fishing/C0135E51-8D8E-43C1-A59F-706B7EF0B3FF_zpsshdql5pa.jpg.html)

SP Dan
05-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Hi ya Nipple Twister,

"Congratulations" on your first legal Hali of the 2014 season Brotha John! :Big Smile::Applause:
Your dedication and perseverance finally paid off in a savory bounty for ya Sir!

I have to say .... your lunch looked mouth-wateringly-delicious Sir! :Thumbs Up: Kudos to you on your BBQ skills!

Thanx for the fun read w/ pic's! :Cool: It's been a long time over due and I look forward to your next (soon :Wink:) legal Hali posting.

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"

PS ... Soldier .... what did I tell you about taking water pictures of me in :BFish::Death2Above: action .... OOH RAH!!! :LOL: Ha ha ha! :ROFL:

Which Way Out
05-26-2014, 07:51 AM
The fish looks great all grilled up. Glad you were able to make it happen this weekend.

Stayed tuned for a Northern report that will rock your world. I am sure the mention of Arthur (Wingnut) coming up here yesterday will get the juices flowing. Give him a day or two to get it out.

I got your back on anyone giving you any trouble.

WWO

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/9132aac3-0273-4883-ab13-a72b7caccb2e_zps4f031d18.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/9132aac3-0273-4883-ab13-a72b7caccb2e_zps4f031d18.jpg.html)

Wingnut
05-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Stayed tuned for a Northern report that will rock your world. I am sure the mention of Arthur (Wingnut) coming up here yesterday will get the juices flowing. Give him a day or two to get it out.

I'm working on the report right now Bill... :Big Grin:

Nice job John, good to see you getting out. :Cool:

The food pic looks great... I do believe I will be having White Sea Bass for my Memorial Day dinner tonight. :Wink:

Which Way Out
05-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm working on the report right now Bill... :Big Grin:

Nice job John, good to see you getting out. :Cool:

The food pic looks great... I do believe I will be having White Sea Bass for my Memorial Day dinner tonight. :Wink:

Hurry I can't wait to see it......:Not Worthy:

WWO

fishshep
05-26-2014, 04:15 PM
:Smile: Congrats. on the Legal !!! I did not know there was a 115Lc, will have to check that out :Idea:

PONTOON
05-26-2014, 06:25 PM
John, I think we had the discussion a time or two about the best time to fish and each time conclude that the best time to fish is when you can! :Cool:

I've seen first hand how you hit the beach and make the best out of every cast. That persistence will always pay off for you Buddy. Great job on the Halibut and I'm sure this is just a small sample of what's coming your way from the surf in the next few months. :Thumbs Up:

basshole1
05-26-2014, 11:05 PM
WOW that halibut looks good!!

Jaysuuun
05-27-2014, 01:52 AM
22inches on the money! Good to see you back on some quality fish. Oh and that plate of fresh grilled hali looks awesome. Nice work John!

bones
05-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Great job John...you were a man on a mission and the meal proves it for sure!
I caught my first halibut at Bolsa Chica many moons ago on the Candy Sardine LC!
Keep up the great work out there sir!

bachiboy
05-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Nice going John. Looks like some good eats there bud.

Congrats!
Don

anchor3n1
05-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi John

I love your report with all the details and the pics. But I really love seeing you rewarded with that keeper halibut - it's great to see you score!!!

skunked4life
05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
John! When you gonna grill me up some fish? Let's swap recipes and catch up soon my friend!

Ken

remington
05-28-2014, 10:00 AM
That halibut looks amazing. Excellent job!

Kelly

Nipple Twister
06-01-2014, 09:53 AM
....... was a fun session for me and getting into some fish my have caused me to get a little overly excited about a "barely" legal fish:Banned::Embarrassed:, hopefully next time I will net (no pun intended) something a little more respectful :Fishing Catch:....... When I got back to my vehicle I reconfirmed it's length using a flat metal scale which reflected what I had already known....22".

.....and yes, it was tasty grilled over red oak in the smoker........:Big Grin:

5150fishn
06-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Congrats on your legal butt! Looks like it made a tasty meal. Thanks for the report and pics!

murrieta angler
06-07-2014, 06:46 AM
John-John!?
Good job working the rough conditions Bro!
We have all been there and "YOU" were able to pull the rabbit out of the hat...:Smile:
I'm glad you decided to put the fish on the dinner table, it looked delicious.
Robert
<><