PDA

View Full Version : Personal Best YT

pineapple express
05-25-2014, 04:21 AM

Aloha fellow members,
First I have to apologize for my lack of reports. It's been a while since I posted.
Second sorry for such a late report.
Fished 5/16-17...
Got that call to fish on my buddies boat Friday night at 6pm. He said their biting ><>.
Now I've turned down many invites but this was a solid trip with live squirts in both tanks plugged ready to go.
How could I say no... So inform PE jr & he's excited like I am.
Sorry for the discretion about location but I am sworn to secrecy about where we fish. Lets just say this was a local spot.
Jr & I get to the docks at about 10:45pm & meet up with my buddy. We motor out with some gnarly fog conditions & it was cold. What a difference a few days make when we had triple digit heat on the coast. We finally get to the spot about
an hour & a half. Drop the hook & start fishing. We all took turns tending the rods but Jr was too excited to catch a few zzzzz. Morning grey came quick & still yet, no bites. Very slow morning for us but notice a few boats around us catching some nice WSB & YT. We were scratching our heads. By then jr was so tired he hit the sack. I knew we had to try something different so I grabbed the #20 loaded with p-line to 50 braid outfit using the good ole dropper loop.
We were using lead head, free line, balloons, & jigs. At about peak tide 1 ish the #20 rig starts singing & total chaos
Breaks out. We knew we had a monster on as it peeled off 3/4 spool before it stopped. Then we settled in for the battle of I get a few wraps back then it takes runs. 1/2 hour into the fight I finally gain most my spool back. Then it try's to get tangled on the anchor rope & my buddy hops on the bow to make sure we're good. He also had a visual & told me I better land this fish. He didn't want to tell me fearing I would get more nervous. I get it back to port side & I get color...OMG!!! Monster tail. I get him close enough for 1st swipe of the gaff & my buddy misses. My heart sank & this thing is pissed off even more. Finally back for another shot & my buddy sticks him. Jr is up rubbing his eyes thinking he was dreaming. 47" & weighed 45 lbs. My personal best YT which used to be 35 lb.
Tight lines
PE

Ryan_J
05-25-2014, 07:37 AM
That's a great YT!! Congrats on the new PB. Was that the only fish you guys caught for the trip?

pineapple express
05-25-2014, 11:21 PM
That's a great YT!! Congrats on the new PB. Was that the only fish you guys caught for the trip?

Thx Ryan_J... We had another pick up just before my hook up.
It was tough fishing for us but frustrating to see other boats getting em around you
And your getting nothing. We started using 30-40 line as these fish were no joke.
I got real lucky to land this beast on 20 line. Had to share the catch with the capt of course.
PE

troutdog
05-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Congrats on a "local" yellow of a lifetime, sounds like the bbq has been blazing the last week....that must have been some serious fillets!

If you and your family aren't doing anything July 19th, be great to see you at Irvine Lake for the annual Catfish Co-Op tourney and potluck....take care and hope to see you on the water soon!

Once again congrats!!!

TD

webmaster
05-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Wow Danny, that is a freakin Toad! Congrats on the nice fish and good to see you getting out on the water. This year is going to be be a good one. Hope we get lots more good stories to tell!

5150fishn
05-27-2014, 10:11 AM
PE, congrats on the new PB YT! Glad to see you and PE JR. getting out on the water!

Hometown
05-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Congrats on the big Forky

trollmiester
05-29-2014, 08:05 AM
oh my god,what a great report buddy.i have to get back to the mysterious salt.thanx again.

SONNY
06-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Congrats on the big one!

Wingnut
06-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Beautiful Yellow, congrats Danny! :Big Grin: