PDA

View Full Version : My biggest bass to date! Video

elbowlayer
05-24-2014, 06:52 PM
I launched from ramp two and paddled across to the coves. It was a cool morning with lots of overcast, there was a slight breeze. I figured the bass would be sitting off the shallows and positioned on points feeding. Well for once I was right, I was cruising slowly over points looking for shallow to deep drop offs. I marked some fish on my second point and used the breeze to blow me back over the spot. I busted out the trusty drop shot set up, and on my third cast I hook up with a TANK! It starts peeling line, I'm using 6 pound test so I'm doing everything I can to keep it under control. Once I get it close I can see I have it skin hooked on the top lip and the few seconds it took to land had my heart racing. I had one of my best days ever, I have lots of more video of my other catches, but I still have to edit down. I don't have a scale with me, my last one sank and I haven't replaced it yet, I'm kicking my self in the butt for not getting one. Enjoy the video.
http://youtu.be/GwGptoLhLFY

Stinkbait
05-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Nice man. The red tail is all healed up from the spawn and she has put the beef back on.
I like the chunky thickness right above the tail, recovered and very healthy.

elbowlayer
05-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Nice man. The red tail is all healed up from the spawn and she has put the beef back on.
I like the chunky thickness right above the tail, recovered and very healthy.

Thanks, she was plenty strong for sure. I took her back out of the water for some quick pictures then released her. I contemplated hooking it to a stringer and trying to paddle to another boater or marina to weigh it. I didn't want to do that and stress that beautiful fish. So her weight will have to be a guess.

CL SmooV
06-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Bad *** fish on 6# test!

Bravo dude....

TUNAVIC
06-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Nice,nice bass,I wouldn't venture a guess at the weight,but it definitely was something to be proud of,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

NFCD I
06-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Very nice bass Jaime. It sure looks like am 8+ to me. In the future you can get a pretty accurate weight by measuring the girth and length. The calculation used is girth X girth x length / 800 = fish weight. In other words, if the girth is 15" and the length is 21" the fish would weigh approximately 5.9#. If you don't have a tape, use a piece of fishing line and measure the two lines when you get home.
Once again, great catch.

fishmounter
06-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Really nice bass Jaime! It was kind of fun watching your facial expressions as you fought that toad! I also thought it was interesting to see your reel's spool spinning as the fish pulled out the drag. And to top it all off, you had a great, humorous soundtrack! Thanks for sharing bro.

elbowlayer
06-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys, Thanks for the info NFCD, for fathers day my wife got me a nice little digital scale. But I also started carrying a tape measurer. I want to start keeping better track of the fish I catch and location. Next purchase may be hand held gps. Its crazy how exciting it is fighting a big girl like this on 6lb test and in the kayak. I don't realize until I watch the videos how much they tow me around.

goober
06-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Is that a sit on top kayak?

elbowlayer
06-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Is that a sit on top kayak?

No Goober, :LOL: it is a 12 foot sit in kayak made by field and stream. Im saving up for a Jackson Kilroy so I can stand and fish also.

goober
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Oh cool. My buddy went there n they said no sit on tops. Thought they were letting them in now. Nice fish. Always fun catching a PB.