PDA

View Full Version : report 5/21

Matt_Magnone
05-22-2014, 10:37 PM
seeing as how i neglected a lot of other styles in the past few months, i made it a point to dump the swimbait sticks and just go out and fish. didnt realize how hard it would be for me to lay the big stuff down but i managed through it haha. every time the wind blew, the clouds came overhead and the clarity breaks showed up i found myself reaching but told myself "NO!". in preparation for a new business endeavor, the goal was simply to get back on track.

long story short i decided to work on the reaction bite seeing as how its been good in weeks past. needless to say with a little bit of a stalled front the fish were in somewhat of a negative feeding mood. i managed to coax some fish off the frog but the correlation of bites vs amount of water hit made it seem as if the fish were a little reluctant to commit whole heartedly to the surface. since the fish were responding but not destroying the surface bait i opted for the fluke. same erratic retrieve only subsurface. had some fish in the upper class chase but nothing to commit. about the time i ditched the fluke the sun was up and as i went graphing i noticed the a huge chunk of fish had made their way out to 20'.

picked up the drop shot just to cover some water. started picking them up right away on the 4" worm in a green pumpkin base color. with the fish really on the 'gill chew it only fit. started switching colors after a limit or two and found that color didnt make a difference. i rotated margarita, crusher, green pumpkin and they all got bit. yesterday was more or less find them and present the bait on them as delicate as possible. i was using a megabass orochi xx F3.5-70XXS rod, abu garcia revo premier 20 reel, 6# seaguar invizx fluorocarbon. and standard drop shot terminal.

the areas i was fishing were on a downhill slope from 12-30 in a matter of two boat lengths. having a light weight created too much float as i was working downhill, which the fish wanted it presented at that angle, so i had to fish a 3/8oz weight not typical to how i fish. i would count on the weight hanging up on rubble which i then started to shake the worm. no rhyme or reason to the action imparted. all you had to do was find the fish and just twitch the rod.

after a few limits on the drop shot, i wanted to find something new. i picked up the duo realis spinbait 80. i was fishing it on a dobyns 792sf rod, shimano sustain 2500 reel, and 4# seaguar invizx fluorocarbon. as the wind picked up stirring the water up a bit, fish started following that typical reaction bite chew. seeing as how the fish were still in a weird mood and pressed to the bottom for me i started sinking the spy bait down into the 12-15' zone. having the lightline really helps in keeping this bait down after the initial cast as well as on the retrieve. ended up picking up a little over a limit of fish on it working whatever rock i could find. switched up to a shallow running crank thinking the fish would react well to it since they were pretty frequent on the spin bait but that was a no go. fish just didnt want that obnoxious of a bait. i switched back up to the spybait and got back on them.

needless to say my entire day was spent running as many spots as i could find with a couple numbers techniques. it was a pretty productive day and the fish are definitely on the chew. all you gotta do is keep moving until you get on a batch of fish. i found the majority of my fish between the 15-23' mark on both outside structure and main lake points. average fish was a little better than it had been with around the 3 pound mark being the norm. healthy little dudes!

eah
05-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the report, Matt.

TUNAVIC
05-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Cool,nice to hear there's that much going on,I'd like to go on a weds soon,thanks for the report!

Cya Tuna Vic

SurfCityUSA
05-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the concise and informative report. So is this a typical post spawn pattern? What do you expect as the water heats up into the summer and did you see a lot of shad around where you caught fish? I know you like to follow shad especially when they get blown onto a shoreline.
Thanks again and also for your videos.

karalm
05-23-2014, 11:04 AM
What color on the spybait?

Matt_Magnone
05-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the concise and informative report. So is this a typical post spawn pattern? What do you expect as the water heats up into the summer and did you see a lot of shad around where you caught fish? I know you like to follow shad especially when they get blown onto a shoreline.
Thanks again and also for your videos.

the fish are in the tail end of the spawn all the way into their summertime patterns. ive found fish on beds as well as fish in the deeper zones. in general, the larger fish tend to enter and exit the spawn a lot earlier than the bulk of the population. not saying big fish dont spawn all through the cycle but in my experience ive noticed they start and end a lot earlier than most. as my goal is always to look for the largest fish at a given time ive conditioned myself to do my best to follow them all year. right now i've been working fish i believe to be moving their way into their summertime patterns. its safe to say that your pre spawn spots are your post spawn spots. the signal to me of a post spawn bite is the batch of males that'll hold adjacent to tree lines. all of the sudden guys will start breaking loose on a wide open reaction bait bite whether it be blades, square bills, chatter baits etc..the males will stay relatively close to the areas they spawned. for a period of time they'll be guarding eggs and then into fry. after the fry reach a given size they abandon them and then start packing up. bigger females will often hold off the beaten patch. some suspend while others pull off to the closest break or a key piece of structure adjacent to a spawning flat. after the bulk of the fish have recovered from the spawn they'll start their path back out to deeper water almost in a winter time fashion before they make their return. always keep in mind, there are those that live their lives shallow while there are those that will tend to hang deep. in the areas i was fishing the bait source as in threadfin or silversides weren't present. bluegill however were.

What color on the spybait?

ive been using the ghost gill in recent trips.