PDA

View Full Version : what waders to buy

jdmjunkiemonkie
05-22-2014, 09:19 AM
i think this year im going to try surf fishing and was wondering what kind of waders do you guys suggest.

i found some neoprene hodgman waders for a pretty good price.
are neoprene waders good for fishing? it seem like it will get wet quick cause the material looks fabric instead of the nylon looking ones.

City Dad
05-22-2014, 09:27 AM
i think this year im going to try surf fishing and was wondering what kind of waders do you guys suggest.

i found some neoprene hodgman waders for a pretty good price.
are neoprene waders good for fishing? it seem like it will get wet quick cause the material looks fabric instead of the nylon looking ones.

I've been through a number of waders and have settled on boot-foot breathables. I'm cheap, so I got the felt soles. I think rubber lug is better - just harder to find and more $. (However, for all the cash I wasted on sock-foot and rubber waders I probably coulda bought a couple of pairs of lug-soled breathable waders straight away.)

stocking foot waders are fine for streams and lakes, but I've found that the boots - no matter how snug fitting - fill up with sand pretty quickly at the beach.

Save the neoprene for steelheading in Alaska...

DarkShadow
05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Breathable. No need for neoprene in our balmy temperatures. And I'd say explore Simms waders first. I know they're pricier, but they're well worth the money, especially if you intend on using them a lot.

Take CityDad's advice. He's pre-med.

I don't do surf fishing, so I can't comment on lug soled, versus sock foot. I just know that I opted for finally spending some coin on my stockingfoot waders and I'm glad I did. I went through 3 pairs before I realized that I got what I paid for. Leaky waders suck. I don't like the built in boots, simply because I've never found a size that fit. I felt like Bozo the Clown walking around.

BTW, if you do some Internet bargain hunting, you can find some pretty good waders at a discount.

but I've found that the boots - no matter how snug fitting - fill up with sand pretty quickly at the beach.

Even with gravel guards? I'm assuming the sand is coming in from the boot itself, and not your ankle?

zzzfish
05-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Jdmmonkie, what size are you? I have a new wader that I'm not using. You can have it for free if you fit the size. lol

jdmjunkiemonkie
05-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Jdmmonkie, what size are you? I have a new wader that I'm not using. You can have it for free if you fit the size. lol

my feet size is 10.5-11
my waist is 34
im about 6 feet tall

feel free to text me 626 616 8250

DockRat
05-22-2014, 08:36 PM
I recommend just swim trunks. Going to be a warm summer.
You don't need to spend bucks to surf fish. Just go fishing, bring your trout gear.
DR