PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Crowley with Guide Don Maier on 5/30

billy b
05-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Haven't fished it in years ... like 20? Can't wait .... Gonna try Intake 2 and North on Thursday

I'd love any suggestions

Looks like McGee Bay will work ...

seal
05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm in the same boat so to speak (minus the guide). Will be up there for a week and haven't fished Crowley in a few years, amazing since I use to fish it many times a year, life does that to you.

Normally fly fish Crowley but am going to rent a boat and give the troll a go, hoping you get some good advice and I'll steal it, lol.

billy b
05-23-2014, 09:21 AM
I can give you a cell number if you wish ... there's going to be 2 of us plus the guide ... looks like trolling only ... although I'd love to spin fish a little. We'll be out from 6:30 to 11:30 or so You can always give me a shout at lunch time or so ... if you want to find out how things went.

Hope to hear a great report from you as well as have one to share

RiverWalker
05-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Here's my suggestion Billy. Cancel the guide and save your money. Crowley is full of fish so you don't need a guide to do well over there. You obviously already know how to catch trout and most techniques will work fine over there. From strippin streamers to midging to throwing cranks or spoons to dead sticking PB or drifting NC's. All work. Just check the reports before you head up or speak to the workers at the Crowley fish camp to get intel on where the latest reports of concentrations are. I would start there and if that doesn't work, just find where all the boats are anchored up on the lake and head in that direction. There's so many guides that work that lake that all you have to do if follow them around since they usually know where the fish are concentrating. Good luck!

Haven't fished it in years ... like 20? Can't wait .... Gonna try Intake 2 and North on Thursday

I'd love any suggestions

Looks like McGee Bay will work ...

seal
05-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Sandy point, alligator point, the springs, sometimes green banks (perch) and of course McGee, crooked creek, hilton etc... Can't wait to get a boat on that water I'm usually stuck to a float tube now can hit all areas.

RiverWalker is right in my mind on the guide deal unless you want to learn better trolling techniques and better yet sill water nymphing. I just can't stand staring at the damn bobber, I mean indicator forever.

Thanks for the offer billy b.

DEVOREFLYER
05-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Seal if your in the zone you won't be starin' at the indicator much as it will be underwater most of the time with fish on!!!! Hard to believe how a large fish is interested in a size 16-18-20 nymph but they hammer them.

seal
05-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Seal if your in the zone you won't be starin' at the indicator much as it will be underwater most of the time with fish on!!!! Hard to believe how a large fish is interested in a size 16-18-20 nymph but they hammer them.

Yes I know I'm cross eyed because of too much indicator use but nothing beats a Crowley streamer freight train hit!

DEVOREFLYER
05-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Yes I know I'm cross eyed because of too much indicator use but nothing beats a Crowley streamer freight train hit!

Something like these two Crowley hogs?

http://i.imgur.com/Uzy41GI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hCe4QDy.jpg

billy b
05-31-2014, 06:05 AM
I'm in the same boat so to speak (minus the guide). Will be up there for a week and haven't fished Crowley in a few years, amazing since I use to fish it many times a year, life does that to you.

Normally fly fish Crowley but am going to rent a boat and give the troll a go, hoping you get some good advice and I'll steal it, lol.

We had a great morning ... I'll be posting a report today

All we did is troll

If you're interested ..

socal114
06-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Here's my suggestion Billy. Cancel the guide and save your money. Crowley is full of fish so you don't need a guide to do well over there. You obviously already know how to catch trout and most techniques will work fine over there. From strippin streamers to midging to throwing cranks or spoons to dead sticking PB or drifting NC's. All work. Just check the reports before you head up or speak to the workers at the Crowley fish camp to get intel on where the latest reports of concentrations are. I would start there and if that doesn't work, just find where all the boats are anchored up on the lake and head in that direction. There's so many guides that work that lake that all you have to do if follow them around since they usually know where the fish are concentrating. Good luck!

This right here...If it were me, I would be working the midge/streamer setup. If the fish are in deeper water (15+), have a setup w/full sink and tear it up. It's supposed to be on fire there right now...

RiverWalker
06-04-2014, 04:49 PM
I second that notion! Gives me chills just thinking about it!

nothing beats a Crowley streamer freight train hit!