PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth mountain chalet trip 4days

esteban1t
05-20-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a 4 night stay at mammoth mountain chalet and i wanted to know about the lakes that are around it and what would be my best choices . i can go anytime between june to october

mrg85
05-20-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a 4 night stay at mammoth mountain chalet and i wanted to know about the lakes that are around it and what would be my best choices . i can go anytime between june to october

I can assure you there are only fish in the lakes and mammoth creek that runs through town. Don't venture out into the backcountry, there is NOTHING there. NOTHING at hock creek or the upper O either. East Walker only has carp. If I were you id soak some dough at lake mary:LOL:

esteban1t
05-20-2014, 08:10 PM
I can assure you there are only fish in the lakes and mammoth creek that runs through town. Don't venture out into the backcountry, there is NOTHING there. NOTHING at hock creek or the upper O either. East Walker only has carp. If I were you id soak some dough at lake mary:LOL:

so lake mary is my only choice for fishing? :Crying:

fisherman951
05-20-2014, 08:13 PM
seems to me that he's full of BS. Their will be some help full ppl on here that are willing to help you out.

esteban1t
05-20-2014, 08:16 PM
seems to me that he's full of BS. Their will be some help full ppl on here that are willing to help you out.
hopefully, im looking for a serious reply.

:Confused:

TROUT MASTERS
05-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Try lake George very early in the morning,afternoon u can always fish mammoth creek or owens,lower twin was very good to me last year,also try convict lake.U have 4-5 lakes and 2-3 creeks to try.Good luck.

seal
05-21-2014, 07:26 AM
I think if you wait till you make up your mind about when you are going to make this request your info. will be a little more accurate. The waters up there are dynamic in that time of the year dictates good fishing. If you go in October the list will be different than in June especially with the drought conditions.

Oh and I liked mrg85's post, you just have to be able to read sarcasm to get down to the meat of his post.

mrg85
05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
so lake mary is my only choice for fishing? :Crying:

:LOL:no I was jokingly trying to recommend something other than the lakes, unless that's your thing. Depends on what type of fishing you're into.

fishfinder
05-21-2014, 01:01 PM
early june would be best for fishing, or october. july and august are better suited for back country fishing. just my 2 cents. boat, float tube or shore?

esteban1t
05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
thanks ! and to narrow it down ill probably be doing shore fishing or renting a boat, im going to most likely be with my cousins who are autistic so i dont think any back country fishing would be an option

mrg85
05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
thanks ! and to narrow it down ill probably be doing shore fishing or renting a boat, im going to most likely be with my cousins who are autistic so i dont think any back country fishing would be an option

do any creek fishing????

esteban1t
05-21-2014, 02:19 PM
do any creek fishing????

if its easily accessible ill do some creek fishing . i will have my cousins with me....

City Dad
05-21-2014, 02:50 PM

If you don't mind a little driving, a cool day trip for you and your cousins might be up the the trail-head of rock creek and on up the trail to Marsh Lake. It's an easy hike from the parking area to the lake. My kids did it when they were 6 and 8 and had a blast. The view of the mountains and glaciers is great, you feel like you're in the back country without the grueling hike.

Marsh and the connecting system of streams is loaded with eager brook trout up to 12". I'm told the lakes further up the trail have goldens.

In summer mosquitoes will be thick, so I might pay to be prepared for that.

zzzfish
05-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Esteban,

If you have to shore it then I would hit up Convict lake, silver lake, little virgina and rock creek lake. All of these lakes have easy access and I usually do well every times I go. You would have to do some search on this website and google as to the specific area on each lake to fish, but I would start with the inlet if you can't find a specific area. If a spot doesn't produce then move. The water is so clear up there that you can sight fish. I would also buy some nightcrawlers and pinch it in half if I were you.

Good luck up there!

Jake

Viejo
05-22-2014, 08:11 AM
With your cousins along, you will be limited to a degree to your access points. Twin lakes has boat rentals and is stocked well. There is also a store to buy bait and snacks. Any of the lakes in the Mammoth Lakes area will provide good ground access for your cousins. Personally, don't think creek fishing up there with the low water situation will be what you are looking for.
Good luck.

John Harper
05-22-2014, 09:50 AM
My dad's friend owns the very first chalet on your left as you drive in. We used to get use of it for free, until the daughters took over and wanted almost $200/night. I now stay at Big Springs or Deadman for free. I miss the place, must be awesome to stay during ski season.

You can do well at all the drive to lakes, and you are also close to the San Joaquin River in the Devil's Postpile area. Lots of great scenery too. Small gold Kastmasters, Fiord Jr., or Thomas Buoyants all work well. Lake Mary is good at sunset by the campground, the fish come out to play right at dusk. You can also fish the Upper Owens and Hot Creek if you are a flyfisher.

John

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
05-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Silver lake!