PDA

View Full Version : what hooks are you using for catfish

fish hunt
05-20-2014, 11:50 AM
in the last couple weeks ive fished sarl a couple of times and caught a few cats each time im having some trouble hooking them im getting plenty of bites .
i have been using a number 2 bait holder j hook ive had good luck with them in the past but now not so much .
last time out i must have had 15+ bites and only got 3 fish in some came unhooked halph way in others i just feel them on for a little bit .
ive been letting them run with the bait and letting them chew the heck out of it and set the hook get a few tugs and the fish is not hooked .
ive been using mackrel for bait .

TwistedOrder
05-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Gamakatsu Offset Extra Wide Gap in red.

They get hooked and stay hooked.
I'm on a 88% landing rate with these. The few I lose have everything to do with user error, and nothing to do with equipment.

fisherman951
05-20-2014, 01:42 PM
For any pay lake I use nothing smaller then a 2/0 hook this will help ur ratio as their is bigger fish in those lakes

Marley
05-20-2014, 08:04 PM
I always use size 2 baitholders. They work for me for mack, m&m and 'crawlers. You might be getting "bit" by baby catfish too small to swallow a hook or you may be getting dragged on by dying trout. Just a guess.
Are you letting the fish run with the bait a bit before setting the hook?

esteban1t
05-20-2014, 08:21 PM
in the last couple weeks ive fished sarl a couple of times and caught a few cats each time im having some trouble hooking them im getting plenty of bites .
i have been using a number 2 bait holder j hook ive had good luck with them in the past but now not so much .
last time out i must have had 15+ bites and only got 3 fish in some came unhooked halph way in others i just feel them on for a little bit .
ive been letting them run with the bait and letting them chew the heck out of it and set the hook get a few tugs and the fish is not hooked .
ive been using mackrel for bait .
I use 3/0 hooks Owners, just regular J hooks, and they have been really good for me, ive only lost a couple fish due to early hookset

muskyman
05-20-2014, 09:47 PM
6/0 to 9/0, offset shark hooks and same variation in the owners too. The best hook selection is at the Longfin. It's the only place where looking at the hook selection gives me a semi :)

Marley
05-21-2014, 07:53 AM
6/0 to 9/0, offset shark hooks and same variation in the owners too. The best hook selection is at the Longfin. It's the only place where looking at the hook selection gives me a semi :)

I thought we were talking stocker fish, not freight trains. Love the Longfin, great shop. Only thing maybe better is the wall of skirts at Melton.

Howzit, David? Fishing must be, ahem, off the hook right about now where you are.

fish hunt
05-26-2014, 01:32 PM
I went back out and figured out what i was duing wrong i was using to big of chunk of mackeral and the skin was folding up over the hook point .
had a fun afternoon used mackerel and marshmello carolina rigged cut the chunk bait in narrow strip last time i was using square chunks so thats what caused my problem