PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Seabass 5/16

webmaster
05-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Second trip on the Kolo this year, we set out from Alamitos wed. afternoon with crew members Sid and John. There was no squid for sale at the receivers so set course for the East end in hopes of catching our own later that evening. We got to the Island around 6pm and fished a few areas with some frozen squid but didn't get any bites. As evening came I was able to find what looked like some squid on the meter so we set anchor and put the light out. Once darkness came the squid started to come to the light. We were able to net plenty enough for bait the following day and a little extra for calamari. We were done by 10pm so I set the alarm for 4:30 and we all got a few hours sleep.

The morning bite was a little slow. I made a few moves and around 8am I got a nice bite that came off before I could get to it. I put another squid on and sent it back down and was immediately hammered, this time it was game on! After a short fight, Sid put the steel to a nice 20 pound seabass! Unfortunately, our action grabbed the attention of a couple nearby boats that rushed over with engines blaring and anchor chains rattling away. Needless to say we didn't get any more bites after that. We tried a few more areas throughout the day, hooked a few "mystery fish" that got off and added a nice sole to the bag before calling it a day. It was a beautiful day on the water, great fishing with good friends and a bonus seabass to top it off.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/fnn/seabass4.jpg

TUNAVIC
05-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Nice WSB,sorry about the attracted visitors,at least you got one the bite was shut down,thanks.

Cya Tuna Vic

tamddo714
05-18-2014, 01:54 AM
awesome catch!! when you are fishing with live squid, what is your set up of choice? carolina? drop looper? flylining with sliding sinker? thanks!

TroutOnly
05-18-2014, 08:48 AM
NICE FISH JEFF TOO BAD ABOUT THE GOOFS MAKING TOO MUCH NOISE AND MOVING IN ON YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,

marzocchi
05-19-2014, 01:33 AM
Nice going Jeff and crew. Saw you guys out there. It was a beautiful day at Cat.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/1e535174-ad7e-4392-b12d-c158feff3256.jpg

DockRat
05-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Good to get the boat out on a Cat run and bring home some steaks.
Last week a friend of mine speared a 72 lb WSB @ PV.
DR

webmaster
05-19-2014, 07:47 AM
awesome catch!! when you are fishing with live squid, what is your set up of choice? carolina? drop looper? flylining with sliding sinker? thanks!

That one was on a dropper loop. But I use the sliding sinker a lot too, depending on the conditions.

webmaster
05-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Nice going Jeff and crew. Saw you guys out there. It was a beautiful day at Cat.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/1e535174-ad7e-4392-b12d-c158feff3256.jpg

Coming back from the west end? How was it over there? I heard some yellowtail were biting?

murrieta angler
05-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Nice WSB Jeff!
Looks like it's going to be a nice year out on the water.
Do you have plans for hitting Mexican waters?
Robert
<><

marzocchi
05-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Coming back from the west end? How was it over there? I heard some yellowtail were biting?

We did alright on the other side of you. The yellows were biting. 6-10 lbers. Nothing big, but no complaints from me. They were fun to catch. We did find the seabass. I'll post a report when I get the chance.