PDA

View Full Version : Good bite if you find them

Stumpknocker
05-16-2014, 02:41 PM
I really went today to try out a new portable sonar unit that my lovely wife got me (nice birthday present!) for some upcoming out-of-state rental boat fishing for walleyes, but couldn't stop myself from buying some sardines at Gallions on the way...after some messing with it, the meter works great...gotta get the suction cup transducer lined up right and then it's good...looked around for fish and eventually ended up in the same cove I went to last week with my son...shad, catfish and stripers were still there...anchored up in 50 feet and after catching and releasing about 5 catfish, I decided to keep everything up off the bottom to save some sardines for the stripers...they started biting around 9, and things just got better from there for the next couple hours...I left at 11...I'd caught about 10, but only wanted to clean 5 today so I let the rest go..
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/5s.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/5s.jpg.html)
I'm wondering if they're hanging out in the back of some other coves as well...I'll bet they are.

fishinone
05-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the report Stumpknocker. Congrats on the catching!

I'm glad to hear that they are still biting.

catchingsomefish
05-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I am glad you had sucess today, I metered schools myself in that zone you are describing, in several coves yesterday.....I didnt bring the anchor or bait yesterday, but that 60ft deep range with fish on the bait between 35-50 ft looked pretty enticing......Dave

Stumpknocker
05-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the report Stumpknocker. Congrats on the catching!

I'm glad to hear that they are still biting.

Thanks fishinone...like I think you said before, they're always biting somewhere...

Stumpknocker
05-17-2014, 05:02 AM
I am glad you had sucess today, I metered schools myself in that zone you are describing, in several coves yesterday.....I didnt bring the anchor or bait yesterday, but that 60ft deep range with fish on the bait between 35-50 ft looked pretty enticing......Dave

Thanks Dave...I'm guessing you trolled through them back there...with shad and stripers mixed together, it's puzzling why they won't hit trolled stuff sometimes when it seems like they should...