PDA

View Full Version : Five fish three rattlesnakes

toomanyskunks
05-16-2014, 05:48 AM
I went to Bakersfield yesterday fishing was great like always the bad thing is too many rattlesnakes I almost stepped on 2 of them I just want to say be careful to everybody out there .anybody else seen that many rattlesnakes in one afternoon

cutbait
05-16-2014, 05:53 AM
I went to Bakersfield yesterday fishing was great like always the bad thing is too many rattlesnakes I almost stepped on 2 of them I just want to say be careful to everybody out there .anybody else seen that many rattlesnakes in one afternoon

Yeah its loaded.. we had 5 people die last week just from fishing the bako duct alone.

15 for the month now have died from rattlesnake bites. Ironically its all so-cal boys too

DEVOREFLYER
05-16-2014, 06:20 AM
Bako style "Surf & Turf", it's the other "White Meat".

cutbait
05-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Bako style "Surf & Turf", it's the other "White Meat".

Hey now come on... leave race out of this.

Why can't it just be meat

fishinone
05-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the report toomanysnakes!

Did you know that to catch reptiles in California, you need to have a fishing license? All except for rattlesnakes. You don't need one for rattlesnakes.

I'm not sure whether you need the Ocean one or the freshwater one.

chompot
05-16-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure whether you need the Ocean one or the freshwater one.

Huh!? There is not a different license for ocean and freshwater. They are all the sportfishing license. You do need to buy an "Ocean Enhancement" stamp to fish the salt south of Point Arguello.

This is taken from the Fish and Game (oooh sorry Fish and "Wildlife") website...

"Only a basic fishing license is required to take amphibians, reptiles (except rattlesnakes) or any fish or for fishing in the ocean north of Point Arguello, Santa Barbara County. An Ocean Enhancement Stamp is required for ocean fishing south of Point Arguello except when fishing under authority of a one-day or two-day sport fishing license."

vampirebret
05-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Yeah its loaded.. we had 5 people die last week just from fishing the bako duct alone.

15 for the month now have died from rattlesnake bites. Ironically its all so-cal boys too

Really????

cutbait
05-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Huh!? There is not a different license for ocean and freshwater. They are all the sportfishing license. You do need to buy an "Ocean Enhancement" stamp to fish the salt south of Point Arguello.

This is taken from the Fish and Game (oooh sorry Fish and "Wildlife") website...

"Only a basic fishing license is required to take amphibians, reptiles (except rattlesnakes) or any fish or for fishing in the ocean north of Point Arguello, Santa Barbara County. An Ocean Enhancement Stamp is required for ocean fishing south of Point Arguello except when fishing under authority of a one-day or two-day sport fishing license."

No.. you can't even buy a saltwater license till march. Freshwater license is the only one that is year round

fishinone
05-16-2014, 10:36 AM

I just looked this up. I think your right.

I remember buying a license years ago on a party boat and having to get an add on to fish fresh water. I wonder when it changed?

So! If you take reptiles near the ocean, do you need an Ocean Enhancement stamp?

LuckyBasser
05-16-2014, 12:28 PM
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/Shade42087/8bce00e2853c6e2114fa905d9e8feaba2ba1bc0753ab4c60a0 ff55c99fb337a5_zps8pcavsbx.jpeg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/Shade42087/media/8bce00e2853c6e2114fa905d9e8feaba2ba1bc0753ab4c60a0 ff55c99fb337a5_zps8pcavsbx.jpeg.html)

LuckyBasser
05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Weird. That pic won't load.

twin22s
05-16-2014, 12:46 PM
It is entertaining that that regulation is on the books. so next time you are going to kill a snake or a lizard make sure you have your fishing license on you :ROFL:

Probably was created in regards to frog gigging.

but frogs, snakes and lizards aside. the license thing is a bit confusing for those of us who remember when there used to be 3 different options: freshwater, saltwater and combination.
In an effort to simplify things(and get more money) they went to a single licence good for freshwater fishing and made the ocean portion an add on, aka ocean enhancement stamp.
The change made it more expensive for saltwater only anglers but didn't have a big impact on freshwater only anglers or people who fish both.

DieselFixer
05-16-2014, 02:28 PM
:Big Grin:Them little Rattlers make killer stripper bait but they gotta have at least two rattles on em :Big Grin:

EbonBetta
05-18-2014, 05:55 AM

I've Looked on the net and can find NO increase in fatalities yet.
While there may be more people bit this year due to warmer temps and Drought conditions I do not see any reports of people being killed by snakes. 87 bites so far tyhis year but No fatalites listed.

trail blazer
05-18-2014, 06:56 AM
The amount of snakes this yr is amazing,,,,,,,,,,one day a cpl weeks ago in the general area of hwy 119 and the duct over crossing,,,OXYDENTEL PETROLEUM,,,,,,, in one day while moving some of our equipment from one site to another site a 1/4 mile away,,in a 5 hr period 6 rattlers were spotted and all were less then 28 inches long and very VERRY active,,,,,

Thanks for the report AND great point,,,,,watch out everybody,,,,,

TRAIL BLAZER

MikesOcean
05-18-2014, 07:12 AM
There is a very active group of people in Bakersfield called GROSB (Get Rid of Snakes in Bakersfield)

For what ever reason the news and media stays clear from reporting any deaths there and this group
Is not very happy with what is going on. I know Cutbaits wife and I think Trailblazers wife are very active members of
GROSB. If I remember right, city council does not want this to hit the media because of the rising prices in
Property values. The housing market has been thriving for the last 3 years. You can't even find a house there for 500,000 and the city is concerned if it hits the media, values will go back down to where they were where you can buy an awesome house in the best neighborhood for 50,000 again. GROSB wants people to know the truth.

Be careful out there and always look down when you walk.

Nipple Twister
05-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Came across this guy sunning himself......not sure what kind:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3k9Yz2r0PHDTWozYmU0WnduRzA/preview

Good info guy, thanks for sharing......

cutbait
05-18-2014, 12:12 PM
I've Looked on the net and can find NO increase in fatalities yet.
While there may be more people bit this year due to warmer temps and Drought conditions I do not see any reports of people being killed by snakes. 87 bites so far tyhis year but No fatalites listed.

Don't kid yourself... just like obamacare the media suppresses stories

DEVOREFLYER
05-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Are you kiddin' me the place is just crawlin' with Rattlers. It seems that all those Okies that left the dust bowl brought them when they relocated. They brought them as pets go figure. The other dirty little secret is that the McDonalds "McNuggets" is really Rattlesnake and the plant that makes them in Bakersfield trucks them in by bottom dump trucks.

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
05-18-2014, 01:11 PM
well thats scary. RIP to those who were just trying to have a nice day fishing..

brubo
05-18-2014, 01:24 PM
toomanyskunks I sent you a PM....we met in Santa Barbara.

cutbait
05-18-2014, 02:12 PM
http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/sports/outdoor-fishing/x735122679/Steve-Merlo-A-snakebite-story-that-will-rattle-your-nerves

Here is a story Bout the Bakersfield rattlers being so thick they have our lakes over run with them

DanS
05-18-2014, 05:07 PM
http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/sports/outdoor-fishing/x735122679/Steve-Merlo-A-snakebite-story-that-will-rattle-your-nerves

Here is a story Bout the Bakersfield rattlers being so thick they have our lakes over run with them

I saw one out at button willow gates once, that was about as long as cut baits yacht he keeps out there. That is his insurance no one steals it.

How come no one is catching any big fish locally? Come on!

fishinone
05-19-2014, 08:34 AM
No problem! This just leaves more striper for the rest of us.