PDA

View Full Version : You'd think that more people would pump a bite out with Wounded Warrior this weekend.

Matt_Magnone
05-15-2014, 12:22 PM
It's amazing what we all take for granted in life and what can be taken away from us in blink of an eye. As many of you know the Wounded Warrior tournament is this Saturday. For those unaware of what this event is all about its about giving back to those who serve or have served our country by offering them a day on the lake fishing. A small price to pay for them taking the initiative to protect our lives.

Every year it's the same way. As the days near to the event there are minimal reports as people are almost protective over their stuff. Keeping bites low key so you have the ability to win or place high in the standings. I respect that thought. The fact of the matter is that this even isn't for us, its not for money its for the active/ retired armed forces. In the grand scheme of things, you'd think that if more anglers banded together to find a generic bite, it would make it even better for the anglers as a whole. I guess things don't work that way.

Here's a generic idea what the lake is doing right now. The water had cleared up dramatically after the previous winds we had but in the last few days the algae has come back. While not a problem for fishing at all, the guys that may have pre-fished for the event several days ago may have to abandon previous found bites. The last day I was on the lake was 3 or 4 days ago. I found fish flooded in the brush in the backs of every major cove/ bay. Mostly fish between 2-4 pounds. As I worked out to more post spawn main lake type stuff there was a good number of fish on structure in 25'. Main lake points had the better groups of marks. As always, the deep trees were holding a huge amount of fish suspended in them. It'd be up to you guys to work the angles to get them out. The primary forage based on everything I've found in the last few trips has been Bluegill or Bass based.

If anyone has ANY questions on how they should prepare for the event, please stop into Last Chance Bait and Tackle and we'll figure out something to get your group of guys hooked up.

Here's typical stuff im putting myself around.

ddoskocil
05-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Good post Matt. BUT - the tournament is SATURDAY, not Sunday, for those of you who still may be interested in helping out. It looks like an awesome event. I can't make it out there (Pony league closing ceremonies, coach). I will be out there Sunday fishing myself, I'll post results...

ebomb
05-15-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm In! Can't wait. I entered last year and had a great time. This event was my milestone for buying a bigger boat (last year I could only take 1 warrior). I have the bigger boat and I'm ready to have some fun and hopefully put my guys on a few fish.

Erik

JV
05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
I'll be there. Hope they have enough boats. Unfortunately there are tournaments this Sat at Castaic & Pyramid (ABA); Pyramid (Top Stick Tour); Silverwood (Sun Country Bassmasters); El Cap (Bass Club of San Diego); Otay (Southland Bass Club); Delta (FLW - among many others).

Didn't get out this week, but last week we got quite a few dropshotting Orange Crusher RoboWorms, 6-8# test. Very light bite for the most part. Nothing big, 2-3 lbs near stickups shallow out to about 20' or so.

Skinny
05-15-2014, 10:13 PM
I myself as a veteran would love to participate in this event. I never hear about these events until like today the week prior. How can i sign up or be notified before hand? Where is the website or what org puts these on. I always read the posts about this tourney and want to do it but i need a little time in advance to plan for child care. If someone could point me in the right direction i could bring my boat and at least a couple others to help out! As always any warrior is welcome in my boat at any time. Any help would be appreciated. There are never any post advertising these events in advance which is a shame because it could be a lot bigger if there were.

ddoskocil
05-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Last Chance Marine is taking signups...or call Matt at the shop.

JV
05-16-2014, 08:50 AM
It's about this time each year - I think this is the 7th one. National Bass runs the tournament and Elsinor Bass Club spearheads it. Info is on their web sites and has been on several bass fishing web pages.