PDA

View Full Version : BBL boating/fishing tips!

keada714
05-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Hey guys,

My family is staying in a vaction home with a private dock next to big bear marine this up coming weekend. My nieces and newphew have been consistantly playing "shark" on the 18' cc everytime they are over, so I figure its time to take them on their first boat ride this weekend! I am excited, but would like to hear some advice on the boat inspection and what to target at big bear this time of the year.

I did a little research and I will have to obtain a vessel permit for the time the boat will be in the water. This is no problem, but my concern is the boat inspection. I have all safety equipment and paperwork but what should I prepare for as I have never launch a boat in a lake.

I would also love to put these littel turd nuggets on some fish, so I am turning to you guys here for some advice as I have very limited expeciece with fresh water fishing yet alone big bear. Looking to put them on any kind of fish, so any advice toward accomplishing this would greatly be appericated!! Thanks in advance!!

Mark

5150fishn
05-12-2014, 01:46 PM
As for the boat inspections I can't help you with this. The fishing I would troll needlefish and Thomas bouyants for some trout. Try flatline in the morning and then you might need leadcore or keel sinkers later in the day to get them down. Good luck!

exfactor
05-12-2014, 01:50 PM
clean, and dry. basic safety equipment, make sure theres no residual water in your outdrive, as they will tilt it down to check., and good luck

etucker1959
05-12-2014, 02:01 PM
clean, and dry. basic safety equipment, make sure theres no residual water in your outdrive, as they will tilt it down to check., and good luck
The Big Bear Marina is very helpful in giving current advice.

JAG107
05-12-2014, 04:29 PM
If you go to one of the public ramps on the north shore, (I prefer the west ramp) they will sell you your permit and launching is free. ABSOLUTELY show up dry, if they see any water come out of your outdrive you will be denied. They're very friendly but also do their jobs well, and will have answers to any of your questions. As for fishing, the needlefish in bright orange will work well, even assorted rapalas. Make sure you troll them down about 10-15', if you topline you might get them fouled with weeds. Good luck!

keada714
05-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice!! Can someone elaborate a little more on how to troll these needlefish lures? I will be going out today and picking up some ultra light setup and terminal tackle for this weekend. Thanks again!

Mark

etucker1959
05-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice!! Can someone elaborate a little more on how to troll these needlefish lures? I will be going out today and picking up some ultra light setup and terminal tackle for this weekend. Thanks again!

Mark

I can give you the lead core setup for needlefish. 30 feet #6 flourcarbon leader tied directly to the lead core line. BBL you want to fish 3-4 colors of lead core line. Last time we went this time of the year our hot colors were, florescent pink and cooper colored needlefish. Just about any size or color will work there as long as you get it in front of them. Cheap tip, look for the pontoon guide boats, where they are is where the fish are biting needlefish!!!!!!

GdHkSet1
05-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Don't forget the dreaded crawler too:) good luck hope you all get some hookups.

keada714
05-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys! I am a but hesitant to fish the lead core as I don't have any spare reels to put on 100yrd of the line on.

I am liking the ideal of using keel weight aas I have a couple 20lb salt water setup that would work. Would it be rigged similar to a Carolina rig? As for the keel weight, how heavy would I need to go to be at a good depth for the trout?

I will bring some light ultra light setup with night crawlers as well as drop shotting nice tail or equivalent.

5150fishn
05-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Use the keel weight about 3-4 ft from your lure. Size depends on what depth the trout are hanging at. I haven't been to BBL this year yet so I don't know for sure but I usually use about 1/2 oz.

keada714
05-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful information. I couldn't put the kids on the fish but they did have a great time on the water!