PDA

View Full Version : How do you bleed your fish?

kzhlin
05-11-2014, 02:31 AM
How do you guys bleed your fish?

Bonk and then cut the gills? Rip out the gills with your hands?

What knives do you guys use to cut the gills? I've been using a pocket knife, but it hasn't been the best thing...

Ifishtoolittle
05-11-2014, 03:21 AM
I usually use a sharp, thin, pointed scissor to cut the part of the collar where it meets the gill plate. I will sever the gill from the inner gill plate and break the fish's spine. Next, I stand the fish in a bucket with the tail facing upward so the blood will drain with gravity and the pumping action of its heart. The whole process sounds gruesome, but it's as humane and clean as you can get if you do it under a few seconds. Smacking fish on the head never gets the job done on the initial blow and the fish's suffering is only prolonged. Icing the fish while draining the blood also keeps the fish in prime condition if sashimi is your thing.

kzhlin
05-11-2014, 09:53 AM
I usually use a sharp, thin, pointed scissor to cut the part of the collar where it meets the gill plate. I will sever the gill from the inner gill plate and break the fish's spine. Next, I stand the fish in a bucket with the tail facing upward so the blood will drain with gravity and the pumping action of its heart. The whole process sounds gruesome, but it's as humane and clean as you can get if you do it under a few seconds. Smacking fish on the head never gets the job done on the initial blow and the fish's suffering is only prolonged. Icing the fish while draining the blood also keeps the fish in prime condition if sashimi is your thing.

Is the scissor easier to use?

I've been using a pocket knife out of convenience (and the fact that's it's always on me), but it's a pain to clean over and over again...

jaggerbub
05-11-2014, 10:32 AM
I just pull the gill...

kzhlin
05-11-2014, 11:44 AM
I just pull the gill...

That's what I used to do, but apparently its better to slice into the gill/throat?

Ifishtoolittle
05-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Is the scissor easier to use?

I've been using a pocket knife out of convenience (and the fact that's it's always on me), but it's a pain to clean over and over again...

It's much easier to use just have a small one on you. Ripping off the gills doesn't drain the blood as well since it damages the blood vessels too much.

kzhlin
05-11-2014, 03:27 PM
It's much easier to use just have a small one on you. Ripping off the gills doesn't drain the blood as well since it damages the blood vessels too much.

What kind of scissor are you talking about? Just a regular scissor? Kitchen shears?

WAHBAM
05-11-2014, 09:07 PM
I use chicken scissors to cut the gills & the collar. I usually dip it in the bait well a few times to drain out the blood as well.

Ifishtoolittle
05-11-2014, 09:51 PM
What kind of scissor are you talking about? Just a regular scissor? Kitchen shears?

http://nlggrow.com/3014-4128-thickbox/always-really-sharp-multi-purpose-black-scissors.jpg

Something kind of like this. My pair has a pointier tip, but this one should get the job done.

shiromaguro88
05-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Best method I have seen is the Japanese iki-jime method. First you need to drive a sharp pick (knife, screw driver)into the brain, which stops the fish from moving. Movement causes the meat to get damaged. Then you cut the gills out to bleed it out in ice water. This method is used by commercial fisherman in Japan. By using this method they get 50% more on the market.

Ifishtoolittle
05-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Best method I have seen is the Japanese iki-jime method. First you need to drive a sharp pick (knife, screw driver)into the brain, which stops the fish from moving. Movement causes the meat to get damaged. Then you cut the gills out to bleed it out in ice water. This method is used by commercial fisherman in Japan. By using this method they get 50% more on the market.

I've seen that too. A good method if you can do it right. Unfortunately, a few fish may suffer as one refines his technique.

shiromaguro88
05-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Here is a video showing iki jime method.

http://youtu.be/cBAzhUiJ4ys

Gossamer
05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
I am fond of the 1 inch death punch method....