PDA

View Full Version : newport bay 5-10-14

benichi
05-10-2014, 07:30 PM
hit the bay with my new fishing buddy The dude from FNN. cool guy got him hooked on spottie fishing now. just so people know I only use lures and plastics.. anyway i got out there at 5am fished a bridge in the morning was getting hits but I was having line issues. not sure what happen to my braid but from the first cast i new something was not right. it was fraying and breaking giving me a hell of a time but i got it working by the time the dude show his face around 6am. I took him to my new secret location and we where there 3 mins and the dude rod was bendo. after a wile of hitting some docks we came to a more open space. i cast get a huge slam and the line starts peeling off my reel pretty sure it was a bat ray he took 170 yard off my reel and right when i started to gain line back snap like 30 feet from my rod tip the braid failed i was waiting for it after the issues I had in the morning. I spooled up the reel with 20lb flouro as I swer by Sunline Super FC Sniper Fluorocarbon I use it for my leader. after it is spooled up and ready to go first cast slam again the line starts to peel off the reel I didnt want to be spooled again so i snapped it off right away. this happened three more time and i moved down the beach. I have hooked bat rays before but not like this not every cast. after a bit of walking to get away from them im standing next to the Dude I cast out with in 5 foot of his line and slam it takes off and i could not break him off. the bat ray took about 150 yards on the first run lucky i got him stopped as i entered my backing. after a crazy 20 min fight which included him getting under a dock and rubbing my line on a piling my line was so frayed up that we could see it as I was reeling it up. when i got him close to shore i could not reel anymore line because the fraying would not go through the eyes of my phenix rod so i just walked backwards till the dude could grab him and beach him. what a crazy fight it was and the line was only 20lb flouro and super frayed up im sure they will say something about it on this thread. we caught some sand bass and spotties through out the day and lost a lot of them. but we had a great time. and for the first time i landed a bat ray. so cool and what beast they are on the fight.. everything was released with care.. thanks for reading.. what good times on the water... as you can see it is a nice size bat ray...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/justfishin/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0727_zps5ac7df1f.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/justfishin/media/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0727_zps5ac7df1f.jpg.html)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/justfishin/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0728_zps41ef642c.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/justfishin/media/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0728_zps41ef642c.jpg.html)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/justfishin/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0714_zps9cd45516.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/justfishin/media/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0714_zps9cd45516.jpg.html)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/justfishin/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0715_zps09232098.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/justfishin/media/ocean%20fishing/IMAG0715_zps09232098.jpg.html)

thanks for coming out with me the Dude

yakfish51
05-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Another great fishing day.

Cudos
Tim

The_Dude
05-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Man what a great day on the water today. Tell ya bro you sure nailed the spots to fish today. I have fished big bat rays in Newport harbor before and I can honestly say this was the first time I saw them school up in a short span on beach line.

I am still shocked at how well that line held up. With the frays that were visible there was no way that should have been landed, but you definitely showed what its like to have skill in babying those big boys.

Lets also not forget the bass. I mean spotties and sand bass, I am still a buzz.

Can not wait till we get out there again

bachiboy
05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Nice going on the bass and especially for landing that big ol mud marlin.:Thumbs Up: Hard enough to land them in the surf or from a boat much less from shore in a harbor. That is quite the accomplishment!

Congrats and keep up the slayage!
Don

benichi
05-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Man what a great day on the water today. Tell ya bro you sure nailed the spots to fish today. I have fished big bat rays in Newport harbor before and I can honestly say this was the first time I saw them school up in a short span on beach line.

I am still shocked at how well that line held up. With the frays that were visible there was no way that should have been landed, but you definitely showed what its like to have skill in babying those big boys.

Lets also not forget the bass. I mean spotties and sand bass, I am still a buzz.

Can not wait till we get out there again

I know I dont want to wait another week. do you want to do newport or san diego next week?

Nice going on the bass and especially for landing that big ol mud marlin.:Thumbs Up: Hard enough to land them in the surf or from a boat much less from shore in a harbor. That is quite the accomplishment!

Congrats and keep up the slayage!
Don

hey when you going to hit the water with me. hey the fishing was fun man. I am actually sore from the fight damn bat ray!!!!!

perch
05-11-2014, 07:15 PM
wow that sounds like a lot of fun thanks for the report and the pictures:Thumbs Up: I have never caught any saltwater fish yet but looking forward to trying my luck really soon this summer for a day out there on vacation.

benichi
05-11-2014, 07:25 PM
wow that sounds like a lot of fun thanks for the report and the pictures:Thumbs Up: I have never caught any saltwater fish yet but looking forward to trying my luck really soon this summer for a day out there on vacation.

let us know when your coming out I will take you out for some fun from shore on the bays in souther cali!!!

perch
05-11-2014, 07:50 PM
hey thanks that sounds good hope things work out and i get out there soon if all works out here

skunked4life
05-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Glad to see more harbor reports! Great job out there on the bats, spotties and other fish lately but a bigger kudos for getting some others onto fish!

Skunked4life

benichi
05-13-2014, 03:01 PM
just posted some pics of the line after that fight check them out on first post thanks

murrieta angler
05-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Nice job landing the batty, with the frayed line!
Keep up the good work, sharing the knowledge with others.
It will come back at you, 10 fold...:Wink:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Jaysuuun
05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Nice outing in the bay! Those bats are also a lot of fun on the tube!

smokehound
05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Looks like a solid 40-50 lb'er. Just wait til you hook into one that weighs as much as you! that gets so intense!

benichi
05-14-2014, 10:58 PM
thanks guy!!! i have to say i don't want to hook another one in the harbor that is a night mare with the docks... and I could not even comprehend what it would be like with a big batray I read they get 9 foot wing span that is insane....

5150fishn
05-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Nice job landing that mud marlin on the frayed line! Those things are powerful!!! Great report and pics.

Wingnut
05-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Too much work trying to land those Bat Rays... I would rather spend my time chasing other species. :LOL:
But what can you do, as fishermen, we want to land them all. :Razz:

benichi
05-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Too much work trying to land those Bat Rays... I would rather spend my time chasing other species. :LOL:

I know wingnut... lol it is funny how that works..

benichi
05-17-2014, 07:02 PM

I know wingnut... lol it is funny how that works..

smokehound
05-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Contrary to popular belief, batrays do more than just pull drag. Larger specimens may actually jump when hooked. And man can they jump.

benichi
05-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Contrary to popular belief, batrays do more than just pull drag. Larger specimens may actually jump when hooked. And man can they jump.

really mine splashed around on the surface but i have never seen one actualy jump that would be cool to see