PDA

View Full Version : San Luis Res Striper Blow Out - as in WIND

Calicanuck
05-09-2014, 06:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixEkZIzOiFQ

We actually set out to Moss Landing to go after some salmon but the wind just would not let us risk taking out the 16 foot boat on the ocean. We decided to head inland to San Luis Reservoir for our first attempt at Striped Bass fishing. We had never fished for these critters and it showed. After a day of fishing we had nothing. We searched online resources and got some helpful tips. Hit the Wal Mart in Los Banos and picked up some Lucky Craft Pointer Minnows. Headed back the next day but it was even more windy than the first. Hooked up with one on down rigger at 40 feet otw in Portuguese cove, but was short lived and came unbottoned. Had a nother strike but all we were left with was a scale. We tried heading back to the dam and the trash racks in the extreme wind to where the stripers were stacked up. We marked tons but these fish were just not interested at all. It was an amazing adventure though riding these big waves. Fun times pushing fishing to the max. Can't wait to give it another go when the wind is a little less extreme.

fisherman951
05-10-2014, 07:32 AM
you my friend have some balls being out there in a boat with weather like that. glad u made it out safe

Calicanuck
05-11-2014, 02:07 PM
you my friend have some balls being out there in a boat with weather like that. glad u made it out safe

Haha... don't your remember that Mercury Commercial, "Weather warning... Hell I got fish to catch!"

I guess we're as careful as can be. Amazing what these boats can take.