PDA

View Full Version : Bite's so nice, I had to fish it twice... 5/7 and 5/8

cpollacchi
05-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Hey everyone. I just had what I expect to be my last trip to Irvine for Trout this season and what a time I had. Yesterday was actually the last day I intended to go out for trout, I figure stocking is about over (if it isn't already) and the heat we had last week wasn't kind to them I'm sure. I figured one last day as a send off before breaking out the catfish rigs and lantern :Big Grin: Couldn't get there right at open but was ready to cast by about 8:30. I chose to start off the day at boat bock cove as it was on fire two weeks ago last time I was out... An inflated crawler on my brand new trout rig sat for about 2 minutes on my first cast before getting hit. Drag, drag, jump! Bass, not trout. Not a pig but not a baby. My brand new 2 lb fluoro leader broke at the hook and it was gone. No problem, lets try the same thing again... Hit again in the same amount of time. Bass again, very nice fight, landed and released safely. This was super fun fighting the bass, but I was looking for trout. Changed it up to the green/garlic pb and tossed it deep. This is what the trout were looking for. I caught two really nice stocker rainbows in the next hour and a half or so. SCORE! I didn't have a whole day to make of it, and I heard word the back of trout island was producing so I gave that a quick shot. No trout, but the gift of the day was my personal best lmb on a CD05. Landed and released safely with a nice tooth gouge to the thumb to remember it by!:BFish:

Well, I though on my way home... I guess I could find the time to sneak out one last time today, so I did. Hit the lake at the same time, at the same place, throwing the same green pb. I landed another two nice torut today, with another two missed. Again I was only there from about 9 to noon. The couple to my left were there early. They were into 4 trout while I was there, throwing the same bait as me. The guy to the other side got a few smaller ones as well. What a satisfying way to end my season!!!

I may be done for now, but in my recent experience the trout aren't just yet. And if you're looking for bass, it's wide stinkin' open. And all this is just from the shore, I'm sure the boaters are just having a blast with the bass right now. So thank you Irvine Lake for a super fun and productive last two trout days of the season. I'll see you soon for the kitties.

5150fishn
05-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a great 2 days on the water at the Vine! Thanks for the report!

troutdog
05-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Nice results for a May trip, all this water could mean trout in July again. Nice report btw, thanks for taking the time to post up.

TD

cpollacchi
05-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Wow, Trout in July? You've obviously been at this much longer than I, but I thought the heat and water temp would put and end to them...
I've been skunked at the vine before, just like we all have, so I was very grateful for two killer days back to back.

5150fishn
05-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Trout are definatley attainable in July when trolling leadcore. Plenty deep enough for the trout to hide out from the summer heat.

cpollacchi
05-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Got it, I fish from shore 95% of the time. I'd need a rocket launcher to get my bait out far enough.:LOL: