PDA

View Full Version : 5/7 ninja mission (prob not the best first post)

FishingBarber
05-08-2014, 01:23 AM
First off, hello, been following the FNN boards for years, and have been fishing many of the socal and sierra waters these posts are about for years, so figure I'd start adding to the reports. It has been the roughest year in these smaller city lakes I've had in quite a while, hopefully with the sb mountain lakes and sierras opening up the year finishes better. Anyhow...
Might look bad first post being ninja fishing but with work and and 2 year old this is what my fix can resort to. Hit this local *coughranchocough* spot for the hell of it tonight and ended up with a few cattys. I had a night crawler off to the side while I was jigging a glow power worm.... No luck on the jig, in fact I've come here at night several times and have never had a bite from a trout. I know that's terrible time for trout but have actually had a lot of luck at other lakes. However, here, and it's not my favorite fish, but seems all year the catfish are pretty active. Esp on shrimp. I'm not encouraging anyone to trespass but if you c&r and you don't litter, why not. 3 cats 1-3lbs all released all within an hour. During summer it's a non-stop bite on shrimp, if you care for cats at all.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/FishingBarber/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps18caeb3b.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/FishingBarber/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps18caeb3b.jpg.html)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/FishingBarber/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0d8f0f25.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/FishingBarber/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0d8f0f25.jpg.html)

Thanks to all the regular posters on here for info in the past, I've gotten lots of good advice on these boards. I will be tubing and fly fishing the bishop area memorial week, expect my next post then. If anyone is on instagram and wants to see some decent fishing photos from the past year or so go to ig @rob_salas

etucker1959
05-08-2014, 07:35 AM
First off, hello, been following the FNN boards for years, and have been fishing many of the socal and sierra waters these posts are about for years, so figure I'd start adding to the reports. It has been the roughest year in these smaller city lakes I've had in quite a while, hopefully with the sb mountain lakes and sierras opening up the year finishes better. Anyhow...
Might look bad first post being ninja fishing but with work and and 2 year old this is what my fix can resort to. Hit this local *coughranchocough* spot for the hell of it tonight and ended up with a few cattys. I had a night crawler off to the side while I was jigging a glow power worm.... No luck on the jig, in fact I've come here at night several times and have never had a bite from a trout. I know that's terrible time for trout but have actually had a lot of luck at other lakes. However, here, and it's not my favorite fish, but seems all year the catfish are pretty active. Esp on shrimp. I'm not encouraging anyone to trespass but if you c&r and you don't litter, why not. 3 cats 1-3lbs all released all within an hour. During summer it's a non-stop bite on shrimp, if you care for cats at all.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/FishingBarber/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps18caeb3b.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/FishingBarber/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps18caeb3b.jpg.html)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/FishingBarber/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0d8f0f25.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/FishingBarber/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0d8f0f25.jpg.html)

Thanks to all the regular posters on here for info in the past, I've gotten lots of good advice on these boards. I will be tubing and fly fishing the bishop area memorial week, expect my next post then. If anyone is on instagram and wants to see some decent fishing photos from the past year or so go to ig @rob_salas

Nice first report!!!!! Ninja fishing can be controversial, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading the reports.

FishingBarber
05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Nice first report!!!!! Ninja fishing can be controversial, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading the reports.

Thanks man. Definitely. Hopefully people can use their own judgement to know when it's not a big deal and when it's straight poaching, or stealing. I know some workers at bass pro shops and they told me when they close they go to their little outside pond and catch a bunch of trout haha. Not only is that embarrassing but I'm sure cops could get involved.

madbass
05-08-2014, 11:03 AM
great report! I ninja fish a ton. I'm in the same boat, work and a 2 year old at home= no time to fish.
I really enjoy when I read ninja fishing reports...I know there's more crazy anglers like out there, im not alone, lol.
need to start posting pictures and reports.

thanks gain for the reports and pictures!!!

Viejo
05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
great report! I ninja fish a ton. I'm in the same boat, work and a 2 year old at home= no time to fish.
I really enjoy when I read ninja fishing reports...I know there's more crazy anglers like out there, im not alone, lol.

Yeah, I enjoyed them as well. I have a family member who is sick so I don't get out much. Last night, I decided to go to my neighbors place and steal some of his chickens. Now I know that stealing chickens isn't cool but you know, because my life is so complicated, I just feel the need to get out and catch something. I don't take too many and besides, he what he doesn't know won't hurt him. Next time, I'll take my go pro so I can make a video of me holding em before wringing their necks! :LOL:

FishingBarber
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Exactly! Thank man. Not to mention some lakes have potential to kill at night, striper fishing at night at the wood is always awesome if they're biting.

smokehound
05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Dont you wish socal was more like louisiana or florida, with tons of channels connected to estuaries with snook and all sorts of fish?

I bet fishing in socal was incredible before all these dorks ruined everything by transforming rivers into concrete channels, and removing the riparian vegetation that kept the water cool.

(fun fact: In most of socal, rainbow trout NEVER ventured upstream!)

fshnritchey
05-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Dont you wish socal was more like louisiana or florida, with tons of channels connected to estuaries with snook and all sorts of fish?

I bet fishing in socal was incredible before all these dorks ruined everything by transforming rivers into concrete channels, and removing the riparian vegetation that kept the water cool.

Actually in most of So. Cal. the rainbows would venture as far upstream as they could. I have caught them in multitudes of water and they go as far as nature or mans obstructions allow them to. Doesn't matter if it is in the San Bernadino mts. the San Jacinto mts. in the Angeles national forest the Los Padres national forest in all these locales the rainbows go as far upstream as they can. Not sure where you got the information on this fun fact but it is absolutely incorrect.

FishingBarber
05-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Florida is spoiled. It would be great for there to not be concrete and traffic behind our local lakes. I grew up in New Mexico next to the rio grande and one thing I miss is not having an assigned pretty campsites... There's a lot of things the mass population of California has ****** up.

TUNAVIC
05-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Nice kitty's,welcome to the site!

Cya Tuna Vic

drifter023
05-09-2014, 07:45 AM
There's a lot of things the mass population of California has ****** up.

True I remember when Silverwood first opened you could stay out on the boat till 10:00 pm.

Viejo
05-09-2014, 08:03 AM

You bring up a good point. As now, the whole point was to maximize the amount of water downstream for agriculture and to grow the industrial base of SoCal.

There's a lot of things the mass population of California has ****** up.

Another interesting point, by 1890, most of the Angeles and San Bernardino creeks were barren of fish. It was the heyday of the "hiking" culture and for the first time, ordinary folks ventured into the mountains in large numbers. There were no such things as limits and the pictures of those days include several hundred fish strung out on long willow branches. The area had been pretty much stripped clean of big game as well, including the last of the Grizzly's that used to live in California. It wasn't until just before the turn of the century that fish were brought down from Lake Tahoe and replanted in the creeks by Angeles Preserve rangers using mule strings and milk cans.

DarkShadow
05-09-2014, 02:05 PM
It wasn't until just before the turn of the century that fish were brought down from Lake Tahoe and replanted in the creeks by Angeles Preserve rangers using mule strings and milk cans.

Hmm...perhaps I shouldn't have YouTubed all those "secret" spots then.

:-\