PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor 5/3 and 5/6

The_Dude
05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Semi late report and current report. Hit Newport Harbor with a buddy of mine and Benichi Saturday morning to work the docks during the low tide. Water was real clean and sun was out. Started working some rocks and only managed to pick up some eel grass. Benichi decides he is going to move down a little and start working the docks.

After a few more casts decided to work the docks as well. Started casting and retrieving with the occasional lost lead head (Still getting the knots for fluoro down). Needless to say I didn't end up with anything but Benichi was the man for the day. As soon as he moved off the rocks, a few docks down he nails what looked to be about a 19 inch halibut and then from there it was fish on and bass on.

It was a great time and Benichi really hooked me up with some good knots and tips on fishing the bass around docks since this is completely new to me. Only fished the harbors for bat rays so its a huge difference.

5/6 report

Had the day off for work and thought why not hit the outgoing tide so headed back down to the harbor and rigged up with a 3" big hammer. Went to a spot that Benichi had recommended on Saturday since I had to leave earlier than he did. What a great spot. Right off the bat just one hit after another. I only fished for maybe an hour and a half as I had other things to attend to, but in that time I ended up with 3 spotties and farmed 4 more.

I can not wait to get back out there and nail them again. Here is one pic that I took in my excitement of finally catching bass.

remington
05-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Nicely done & I'm liking your color choice on the plastic. Did you break out the Halloween BH? Try the clear with red flake when the sun is out if you get a chance.

The_Dude
05-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Nicely done & I'm liking your color choice on the plastic. Did you break out the Halloween BH? Try the clear with red flake when the sun is out if you get a chance.

Thanks man. I have tried the halloween the last few trips and honestly just can't get them to even touch it. Back in the day when I was fishing the harbor, maybe 10 years ago thats all I would use but now, can't get anything on them.

I will have to give the clear with red flake a shot, I have been eyeing those and wondering how they would be on a nice clear day

benichi
05-06-2014, 12:52 PM
It was fun out there glad to see you getting in to them now... lets do it again.. I cant wait for this week to pass lol!!!

bachiboy
05-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Nice going out there. Looks like you had some good company and found some fish. Keep at it and we're sure to hear more soon!:Wink:

Don

tamddo714
05-06-2014, 06:38 PM
good job out there slaying them bass. I like the halloween color for darker/overcast conditions.

TUNAVIC
05-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Nice spottie,cool report,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

kornkidz
05-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Have been wanting to learn more about how to fish the harbor, have some LMB fishing experience but have yet to get much salt water action but want to see what the hypes about. I stay in downey which isn't too far far here. Would like to float tube it soon this Monday but how do you guys get the tides and stuff on schedule?

Wingnut
05-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Man, been a long time since I fished NPH. Miss that place... :Neutral:
Nice session, looks like you're getting the hang of it there. :Wink:
Keep up the nice job. :Cool: